Driving Me Crazy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Me Crazy!

As some of you know, I've had a hell of a time keeping weight on Apollo. He's still at about 5-6 pounds a night. A few months ago, he began refusing to eat more than once a day, so we went down to having dinner only. He gets snacks throughout the day now; pieces of chicken when I'm cooking lunch, an egg or two at breakfast, but most of the time, he won't eat even those little snacks. In desperation, I tried feeding him breakfast again for a little over a week and he would just take the food and hide it under his eating towel and walk away. He wouldn't eat any of it, not even a little chomp. Then at dinner, he would go to find it (I gave it back to him and gave him some extra), and he would eat all the morning stuff but none of the dinner stuff. He literally picked through it all and ate only the things he tried to hide in the morning. Would not even touch the new food. I can only think of a few reasons he might do this, but they don't seem to make sense:

A) He's afraid he won't be fed and is hiding food so he can come back and eat it when he is hungry.

He is fed every night at the same time and I always give him more if he is still hungry, so that doesn't make sense.

B) He hides it because he is afraid it will be taken from him.

I never take away his food before he is finished. He can sit out here and nibble his food for 3 hours if he wants. I don't care how long he takes, just as long as he gets his fill.

Any ideas? I'm losing my mind and it's breaking my heart! I just want him to eat twice a day and not look like he's starving to death.

I have recently been able to incorporate beef in his diet (FINALLY!) and he gets pork, chicken, and turkey as well. When I can find lamb or duck, he gets that too. He also gets liver, kidney, spleen, and brain at least 3 times a week, but for the past month and a half, he's refused to eat liver, and I have to feed it to him off a fork to get him to eat it. Crazy dog.

I just snapped a couple pictures of him, and for some reason you can't see how ribby he really is. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I can't get him to stand still for two seconds. He has gained a little weight, but his hip bones just jut out like he's starving. There are a lot of times when I look at him and I can see almost every rib. I know they are supposed to be lean, but this can't be normal. No parasites, and he is extremely healthy and fit; probably the most active dog I've ever had. I have also been feeding him the highest fat ground beef I can find, but I can't give him tons of it at a time. He gets some pretty fatty pork as well. I just can't figure this out. [emoji25]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KatieRae; 04-17-2015, 04:53 PM.
    -- Katelyn

sigpic
    Apollo

Oh I feel you sista... Duke isn't an eater either

First the burying thing, I don't think that is fright, I think it is, "I am not hungry now, lets save it for later".. Duke totally does this!!! While we used to be able to use a water proof mat we are now just using his old crate pan.

We aren't perfect but a few things we have done...

1) 30 minutes to eat what is put out or it goes away
    2) after 30 minutes it goes up, usually I pull out a nice piece of chicken jerky beforehand, because duke goes into, wait I want that mode as if it is a game.
    3) an hour or so later if he hasn't eaten in a day I try again for 30 minutes same ritual

... Duke is kinda a poot, as my kids would say about boney things, so we feed a chicken quarter or a duck frame... you get it something boney. And then feed 2-3 pounds of ground... whole animal ideally or if no bone and organ, ground meat with whole organs are served. For ground I aim for under 2 dollars a pound.

Some people suggest feeding things more frozen, Duke is a diva and doesn't do well with that, but just an idea.

We also feed once a day as duke would just stare at breakfast, and we only have so much time in the mornings.

Oh we give duke homemade chewy jerky in his kong twice a day (once in the morning as we go to work, for crate time, and then one of us come home for lunch so het gets a kong again). Never weighed how much the jerky weight is, but I suspect perhaps a quarter of a pound maybe more, we kinda jam back it full.

At the end Duke seemed to get chunky from time to time, but usually we struggle to keep him getting to ribby. I think when he got chunky he was working on a growth spurt or something, now that he isn't doing that as much (he is 11 months) it is hard to keep him from looking like a dane fur on a skeleton.

HUGS
    Last edited by dukers; 04-17-2015, 06:16 PM.
    sigpic
    Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

He's eating 5-6 lbs of food a day?!? That's a lot for a dog that size. Can you get turkey tails at all? Or just add some beef suet or some knd of pure fat to his meals? Finn and Asaah are both about 130 lbs and eating maybe 3.5 lbs a day. I'd say up the fat and see if you can put some weight on him without feeding so much. I've been told dogs need 15-25% fat with working dogs and high energy dogs needing more - maybe he just needs more.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

How tall and how much does he weigh? I don't think he looks too bad at all - I can see all of Zoomer's ribs at times but it's not as though they are jutting out or anything. I think some Danes are just on the leaner side. He might surprise you and fill out more once he hits the two or three year mark. We went hiking up at the caves where the original Bat Man series was filmed last weekend and met a Euro Dane that was 180lbs. His dad was supposedly 230lbs. I just looked at him and thought, jeez that dog is overweight! He honestly should have been at least 30 lbs lighter.
        -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I can't get turkey tails around here any more [emoji25] but he does get the fattiest cuts I can find. I can't feed any kind of pure fag because he gets the major ins from it and actually throws it up, but he does get some nice 70/30 ground beef and some extra fatty ribeyes and some pretty fatty pork. I just can't seem to find any way to up the fat any more that that. He gets 1/2 whole turkeys and whole chickens regularly too. Just scored some really plump half chicken breasts and good-sized turkey drums tonight reduced to $3/4 pounds [emoji33] super stoked [emoji16]

Anyway, I'm sure he'll fill out later, but man. I'm so tired of the crappy 'he's so skinny' comments I get from people. I just wish I could show them how much and what he eats. Lately, I've done my best to incorporate at much 70/30 ground beef and as much of that chunky pork as I can into his meals. They're usually made up of about 3 pounds chicken or turkey and the rest pork or beef.. It's difficult because I can't feed him that much more red meat because his system can't really handle it. Hopefully he'll get better with that. I would say he's at about 23% fat right now with his meals.

Lisa, I don't know how much he weighs [emoji23]I really need to get him in to a scale!

-- Katelyn

sigpic
          Apollo

Comment

I can't get turkey tails around here any more [emoji25] but he does get the fattiest cuts I can find. I can't feed any kind of pure fag because he gets the major ins from it and actually throws it up, but he does get some nice 70/30 ground beef and some extra fatty ribeyes and some pretty fatty pork. I just can't seem to find any way to up the fat any more that that. He gets 1/2 whole turkeys and whole chickens regularly too. Just scored some really plump half chicken breasts and good-sized turkey drums tonight reduced to $3/4 pounds [emoji33] super stoked [emoji16]

Anyway, I'm sure he'll fill out later, but man. I'm so tired of the crappy 'he's so skinny' comments I get from people. I just wish I could show them how much and what he eats. Lately, I've done my best to incorporate at much 70/30 ground beef and as much of that chunky pork as I can into his meals. They're usually made up of about 3 pounds chicken or turkey and the rest pork or beef.. It's difficult because I can't feed him that much more red meat because his system can't really handle it. Hopefully he'll get better with that. I would say he's at about 23% fat right now with his meals.

Lisa, I don't know how much he weighs [emoji23]I really need to get him in to a scale!

-- Katelyn

sigpic
            Apollo

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
              How tall and how much does he weigh? I don't think he looks too bad at all - I can see all of Zoomer's ribs at times but it's not as though they are jutting out or anything. I think some Danes are just on the leaner side. He might surprise you and fill out more once he hits the two or three year mark. We went hiking up at the caves where the original Bat Man series was filmed last weekend and met a Euro Dane that was 180lbs. His dad was supposedly 230lbs. I just looked at him and thought, jeez that dog is overweight! He honestly should have been at least 30 lbs lighter.
              I dont' think he looks that bad either.
              sigpic
              Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Katelyn,

Apollo doesn't look too thin in these pictures IMO. Looks like for now he has a thin frame? Minnie looks the same exact way (who is still 95 pounds btw - she is just plain tiny). Could just be his genes for now.

Mickey just turned 9 months 2 days ago and weighs 130 pounds - much bigger frame.

I don't know what to tell you on the 5-6 pounds per day. Minnie eats 2.5 pounds per day and Mickey about 3.5 pounds per day.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan! Good to hear from you again! [emoji5]

-- Katelyn

sigpic
                  Apollo

Comment

Thanks.

I didn't realize how old the last post was until after I posted a reply lol. Hope you have it squared away now with Apollo!

Dan

Comment

New to the sub and a little new to raw. I didn't see the age of the dog, but he doesn't look bad to me and 5 to 6 LBs a day is a lot of food.

My girl is 105 to a high of 108. She's 18 Months old, and she looks about like him. I only feed her 3 Lbs a day plus snacks of Chicken/Duck feet, Dried beef tongue, a hard boiled or raw egg, and often will add 5 oz of green tripe to a meal. We mix and match depending on how her thickness is looking.

For you, I'd cut back on the food a little bit and add some green tripe. It will help digestion with the enzymes and biotics in it, and it will add a good source of fat.

Again, I'm pretty new to this but I'm piping in because I struggled with the same issues and Tripe was a great solution.

I added a couple of photos. These are what I sent to my food provider when I was concerned about the weight. After adding tripe, she filled out nicely. Backbone is now hidden, hips are no longer bony, and you can just barely make out ribs at the end of her chest cavity if you're looking for them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X