Occasional raw meals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occasional raw meals?

I can't commit to a full raw diet currently for my 4 month old puppy. Possibly in the future, but would it be ok to occasionally give him the bag of chicken giblets and the chicken neck that I take out of a roasting chicken in place of one of his 3 daily meals?

Phineas is kibble fed and I give raw often, more of a treat and not a meal replacement due to how much he eats per meal. Chicken necks aren't very big, is that enough for a meal for your dane? I give necks as chewy treats.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't think that would hurt anything. If you switch to full raw later it'll probably be an easier switch for him. I did this with Finn when I switched him at 5ish months and his switch was super easy (although he is a Hoover dog and will eat anything). Start slow with the raw stuff so he doesn't get any loose stools! And keep an eye on him with the necks to make sure he isn't a gulper, those are a nice size to plug a puppy trachea. When I feed little chicken necks, I freeze them in a clump and feed them that way.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I fed kibble with raw treats for years. Some people will say don't mix because the different foods digest at different rates, but a dog's digestive tract is an amazing and powerful acidic thing. Once adjusted, they can eat horse poop, field corn, dead squirrels, grass, table scraps and kibble all in a few hours and be just fine. All the farm dogs of my childhood did this and never had a problem digesting any of it.

Start slow. Treats of an ounce or less. And chicken necks are too small for an inexperienced raw eater. Mine eat them fine, but they know to chew. If gulped, they could plug.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the information. He is a good chewer and doesn't doesn't tend to gulp unless I top his kibble with some wet food. I gave him a raw chicken neck this morning and he ate it pretty slow but loved it along with the liver and heart of a small roaster chicken. Seems like a perfect way to save some money on treats and not waste any of the chicken. I'll keep an eye on how he does with it stool wise. He has never had the runs since we had him at 8 weeks and he has tried many different treats. He is 18 weeks now. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Briguy0419 View Post
            Sounds good, thanks for the information. He is a good chewer and doesn't doesn't tend to gulp unless I top his kibble with some wet food. I gave him a raw chicken neck this morning and he ate it pretty slow but loved it along with the liver and heart of a small roaster chicken. Seems like a perfect way to save some money on treats and not waste any of the chicken. I'll keep an eye on how he does with it stool wise. He has never had the runs since we had him at 8 weeks and he has tried many different treats. He is 18 weeks now. Thanks again
            Another thing to keep in mind is that hearts are pretty rich and organs are very rich. Might want to start with more meat/bones and take it easy on the organs, or he could end up with cannon butt
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
            X