Help please!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!!!

Hi everyone! Question about my 7 month old raw fed guy....I just left him outside and noticed he was trying to poop but couldn't (he was also walking funny) and had something hanging out. I went out to him with a paper towel so I could wipe him and it was a piece of bone. I pulled it out and it was a short bone with 1 end chewed off-probably a drumstick. After I took it out he seemed fine, there is fresh poop in the yard, and he has good bowel sounds (I'm an ER nurse). Shouldn't he be breaking those bones and digesting better?? He does eat very fast it seems. Any help and advice greatly appreciated!!!

How long has he been raw fed? It takes a while for them to really be able to digest everything. I was advised to add some raw apple cider vinegar to their food and/or water to help with that. You could also try feeding frozen so he slows down and has to chew it a little more.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

We switched him to raw as soon as we got him at 9 1/2 wks old. Tonight my husband held the chicken so he would have to chew it and eat slower instead of swallowing everything whole! Seemed to work.....will try feeding frozen also so he has to chew and see how that works

Comment

Originally posted by christielee View Post
        We switched him to raw as soon as we got him at 9 1/2 wks old. Tonight my husband held the chicken so he would have to chew it and eat slower instead of swallowing everything whole! Seemed to work.....will try feeding frozen also so he has to chew and see how that works
        Apple cider vinegar should help with bone break down. I wouldn't get used to holding his food, Duke was a bone pooper too, but then we went through a phase he wouldn't eat unless we held it and that isn't cool for morning rushes to get to work, or exhausted evenings.

Ultimately sounds like this was a fluke, but make sure you are feeding WHOLE chicken quarters. And, WHACK the meat with a hammer before he eats if needed and whack less as you get more comfortable.
        sigpic
        Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

I said the same exact thing to my husband! I have 4 kids to get ready in the morning plus myself for work! So he bagged chicken quarters and smashed them w a hammer good. He used to chomp all the bones so well and lately he is swallowing everything whole! He downs 2 lbs in less than a minute! Crazy pooch!

Comment

Originally posted by christielee View Post
            I said the same exact thing to my husband! I have 4 kids to get ready in the morning plus myself for work! So he bagged chicken quarters and smashed them w a hammer good. He used to chomp all the bones so well and lately he is swallowing everything whole! He downs 2 lbs in less than a minute! Crazy pooch!
            He is adorable, I wouldn't whack the crap out of them, but enough that if he tries to swallow whole he won't get a big bone chunk. For use the feeding frozen didn't help. Duke hates his food cold... as in will literally turn away and leave it for 30 minutes without ever even sniffing it again. Too warm the same thing... UGHH!

Good luck though, I have 4 kids too, hence me saying holding food isn't really a solution.

Do wish I could have looked at my pup and said "see that is why we chew our food!!"
            Last edited by dukers; 12-17-2014, 06:57 PM.
            sigpic
            Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

My co-op leader recommended freezing several leg quarters together into a big hunk, bigger than his head, then letting him eat off that a while, and trade for a treat when he's eaten enough. This way he has to work at it and won't gulp it all down.
              sigpic
              Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                My co-op leader recommended freezing several leg quarters together into a big hunk, bigger than his head, then letting him eat off that a while, and trade for a treat when he's eaten enough. This way he has to work at it and won't gulp it all down.
                I have to wonder who has really had success with this. Lol Fergus would starve first. He's not about to put that much effort into his grub.
                sigpic
                Fergus
                SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                Eisen Shark
                C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Finn would totally do this. He's very enthusiastic about anything edible. And I keep bones, Kongs, and bully sticks in the freezer, plus sometimes I don't thaw enough meat for meals, so mine are used to meatsicles
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

Working...
                  X