transitioning a puppy to raw diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transitioning a puppy to raw diet

So this might be a dumb question, or maybe im just over thinking it. But when I bring little Grayson home, can I start the transition right away or should I wait a few weeks before introducing a raw diet? Like do I just wait till hes all settled in or should I wait until I have all his shots done and all that. Also what did you start you little pup out with? Like chcken wings and mashed up bones to make it easier to chew? Kumah was easy peasy to change her diet but a brand new baby puppy is a whole new thing i feel like.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Not a dumb question....I have been raw feeding for over 13 years now and I still debate with each new dog lol. I personally now feel its easiest to just switch at the start but there are merits to letting them settle a bit first as well.

Comment

The little party wingets are a little small IMO. I give them to Apollo every now and again as a treat only because he chews EVERYTHING down, and even still, I watch him like a hawk. I would think a pup would be okay starting with a regular thigh?

Not positive, I started Apollo around 4 months I think, and he was eating thighs and drums like a champ [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -- Katelyn

sigpic
      Apollo

Comment

Thank you. I just didnt know if their jaw is strong enough to crunch bone and eat off of a larger piece of meat like a thigh. I figured smaller mouth=smaller piece of meat.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

I wouldn't give them anything that is small enough to get stuck on the way down. Heard a horror story from a co-op member. Her friend got to watch her bull terrier choke to death on a chicken neck - just the right size to plug the trachea. There was nothing she could do, couldn't reach it to get it out . Finn and Asaah's breeders both feed raw and several breeders in my co-op wean to raw. They feed chicken thighs and leg quarters with no problem. And for reference, my cats get chicken thighs, half per cat, and they can chow the whole thing down, even the 7 lb cat
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I'd just start with legs or quarters or whatever chicken you normally feed, and if he has issue chewing it to start use a hammer on it.
            sigpic
            Fergus
            SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
            Eisen Shark
            C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Quke was 8 weeks...I started with wings and thighs. The wings I did kind of smash up so he wouldnt swallow them totally whole and I did skin the thighs at first. He only had the wings for like the first couple days, pretty quickly moved up to thighs or bigger. I do lots of green tripe when switching in general and especially for puppies.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                I do lots of green tripe when switching in general and especially for puppies.
                I bet your house smells awesome when you have a new puppy
                sigpic
                Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                  I bet your house smells awesome when you have a new puppy
                  I actually dont mind the smell of tripe lol, much better than salmon

We also feed on our covered porch so that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                    I actually dont mind the smell of tripe lol, much better than salmon

We also feed on our covered porch so that helps.

Really you don't mind the smell... I have a green tripe mix, and the smell is quite overwhelming for me, but I agree that fish can be disgusting too, I am fish PICKY.

But back on topic, I think that Chicken thighs would be good, and/or quarters.

I would say just go for it, you are prolly gonna be taking off a few days to spend with him anyway
                    sigpic
                    Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh i am definately taking some days off. We are passing around the vacation calander at work right now and since im the newest one there i get it last so im hoping there are some days left for when im able to bring him home. Im planning to take a whole week off if i can.

Also, i know your supposed to feed like 2-3% of the pups ideal adult weight? Right? But do you start off with that from day one pr does that amount come at a later date when the puppy reaches a certain age?
                      Last edited by Kumah; 12-14-2014, 03:39 PM.
                      ~Kelsey, mom to~
                      Cece- Calico 4 years
                      Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
                        Oh i am definately taking some days off. We are passing around the vacation calander at work right now and since im the newest one there i get it last so im hoping there are some days left for when im able to bring him home. Im planning to take a whole week off if i can.

Also, i know your supposed to feed like 2-3% of the pups ideal adult weight? Right? But do you start off with that from day one pr does that amount come at a later date when the puppy reaches a certain age?

So what WE found as a good balancing point 7-10 percent of his current weight until, 2-3 percent of Duke's expected weight was less.

So at 70 pounds, 10 percent would be 7 pounds, but 2-3 percent of his adult weight was 3.4 to 5 pounds. So I went with the lower amount and watch his body condition.

Vice a versa at 30 pounds, 10 percent would be 3 pounds, so we went with that as a guideline

But ultimately Body condition trumps, but of course we all want guidelines for puppies
                        sigpic
                        Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                          So what WE found as a good balancing point 7-10 percent of his current weight until, 2-3 percent of Duke's expected weight was less.

So at 70 pounds, 10 percent would be 7 pounds, but 2-3 percent of his adult weight was 3.4 to 5 pounds. So I went with the lower amount and watch his body condition.

Vice a versa at 30 pounds, 10 percent would be 3 pounds, so we went with that as a guideline

But ultimately Body condition trumps, but of course we all want guidelines for puppies
                          Thank you, that is very helpful and will probably be how i will feed grayson. Sounds very simple.
                          ~Kelsey, mom to~
                          Cece- Calico 4 years
                          Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Working...
                          X