turkey wing - dang!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turkey wing - dang!

Any one elses dane struggle with these bohemouths?
    I know the bones are a little denser than chicken just didn't expect dukes total struggle with it. I really don't wanna go back to having to prep his meat, but anyone chop these up? It was his first time so u am hoping he figures out a technique, but just wondering how others danes do with them...
    sigpic
    Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
    - Albert Einstein

Kumah had a difficult time with her first turkey wing too. Ive only given her one and the other one is still sitting in my freezer. It took her like 25mins to eat it last time. Lol. I havnt given her any since then but im getting low on turkey so its one of the last bags of turkey meat I have.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Comment

My 50# border collie eats turkey wings just fine. It's a process but she loves them and loves to savor them as she crunches them down. Even my 30# blue heeler/landshark eats wings easily. Just let them work on it. A meal can take more than a few seconds to eat
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

It was literally an hour plus. With much encouragement. We have 30 of them so he isn't gonna be able to scape goat out.

Thanks guys!
        sigpic
        Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't given turkey wings yet, but I have 6 turkeys sitting in the garage ready to be cut up tonight ($.49/ lb at Meijer!!). Have you tried just smacking it with a hammer to break the bone?
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
            I haven't given turkey wings yet, but I have 6 turkeys sitting in the garage ready to be cut up tonight ($.49/ lb at Meijer!!). Have you tried just smacking it with a hammer to break the bone?

I was thinking about it. Just didn't expect them to be such a debacle.
            sigpic
            Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

turkey wings are one of my dogs favorite things! i cut them up into 3 pieces (cut at each joint) so it makes them easier to get ahold of. sometimes those thing are HUGE!
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
                turkey wings are one of my dogs favorite things! i cut them up into 3 pieces (cut at each joint) so it makes them easier to get ahold of. sometimes those thing are HUGE!
                Appreciate the feedback. Was thinking about that too.
                sigpic
                Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Just spent several hours cutting up 6 turkeys - I see what you mean! We'll be trying some tomorrow
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

Fergus haaaaaaates turkey (like, I have to sear it or he would go almost a week before eating it) but once he gets going he has no issue eating whole wings or legs, sometimes on a smaller bird I even leave thighs attached. Crunch crunch crunch and down the hatch! ...And then occasionally he pukes it up and then stares at me like, "mom! Somebody made a mess here and it's super offensive. Please clean it up right now."

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                      Fergus haaaaaaates turkey (like, I have to sear it or he would go almost a week before eating it) but once he gets going he has no issue eating whole wings or legs, sometimes on a smaller bird I even leave thighs attached. Crunch crunch crunch and down the hatch! ...And then occasionally he pukes it up and then stares at me like, "mom! Somebody made a mess here and it's super offensive. Please clean it up right now."

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
                      LMFAO I could see duke doing that (puke and being offended)... of course now I think he is just being an eating Diva, wonder what daddy did while I was gone, or he is starting his teenage/dane picky eater thing

He wouldn't eat his boney duck frame last night, or this morning. But He some how wheezled daddy into getting out three pieces of jerky from his kong from last night though. He sniffed the duck and went and layed down both times. Left it out for about 10 minutes with him staring at it from his bed so I put it away. There isn't anything wrong with it according to my nose, and that is basically when he did with the turkey wing yesterday morning, except I encouraged him to keep coming over and investigate it until he finally ate it. I am not doing that again.

He is drinking and pooping and peeing, so I guess he will miss another meal.
                      Side note he did get his rabies shot two days ago, so that might be some of it Although he had no problem running and playing at the dog park, so I am skeptical

PS SuzanneRM82: Love fergs collar, it looks like DUKES! (below is "I didn't poop in the fridge and eat a wheel of cheese, it was daddy" look)

And Finn/Asaah's mom, good luck I am sure finn will prolly show up duke and be fine with it. I need a raw fed dog though to show duke how to use his paws. Is there a rent a raw fed dog service?
                      Last edited by dukers; 11-30-2014, 07:05 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                        LMFAO I could see duke doing that (puke and being offended)... of course now I think he is just being an eating Diva, wonder what daddy did while I was gone, or he is starting his teenage/dane picky eater thing

He wouldn't eat his boney duck frame last night, or this morning. But He some how wheezled daddy into getting out three pieces of jerky from his kong from last night though. He sniffed the duck and went and layed down both times. Left it out for about 10 minutes with him staring at it from his bed so I put it away. There isn't anything wrong with it according to my nose, and that is basically when he did with the turkey wing yesterday morning, except I encouraged him to keep coming over and investigate it until he finally ate it. I am not doing that again.

He is drinking and pooping and peeing, so I guess he will miss another meal.
                        Side note he did get his rabies shot two days ago, so that might be some of it Although he had no problem running and playing at the dog park, so I am skeptical

PS SuzanneRM82: Love fergs collar, it looks like DUKES! (below is "I didn't poop in the fridge and eat a wheel of cheese, it was daddy" look)

And Finn/Asaah's mom, good luck I am sure finn will prolly show up duke and be fine with it. I need a raw fed dog though to show duke how to use his paws. Is there a rent a raw fed dog service?
                        Finn had no trouble, had it chewed in about 10 minutes, which is about 5 minutes longer than it usually takes to inhale his food. He doesn't really use his paws at all though, just puts in on the mat and chews and chews. Asaah, in the other hand, chewed the meaty end off and left the rest. She's my picky girl . Hopefully it's more appealing at dinner time.
                        sigpic
                        Chaucey

Comment

Finn had no trouble, had it chewed in about 10 minutes, which is about 5 minutes longer than it usually takes to inhale his food. He doesn't really use his paws at all though, just puts in on the mat and chews and chews. Asaah, in the other hand, chewed the meaty end off and left the rest. She's my picky girl . Hopefully it's more appealing at dinner time.
                          Knew it. Thats fine rub how good of an eater Finn is In my face :-p
                          sigpic
                          Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                            Knew it. Thats fine rub how good of an eater Finn is In my face :-p
                            Don't worry, Asaah and Bella (and occasionally Asher) make up for it. Sometimes Finn is the only one in the house who will eat!
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey

Comment

Don't worry, Asaah and Bella (and occasionally Asher) make up for it. Sometimes Finn is the only one in the house who will eat!
                              LOLs I think dealing with cats would be worse than dogs... cats either are nice or absolutely a-holes with me. I could see them not wanting what I serve and tearing me up because of it (mew IDIOT muman, how dare mew hisss-erve me this, and meow mew must DIEEEEEEEE)
                              sigpic
                              Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X