introducing a second protein to kumah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introducing a second protein to kumah

Well folks, lol, Kumah has been on raw for 1 month today and I feel she's ready for a second protein. So today while I was grocery shopping for me and her (I love saying that. Lol) I bought a 22lb turkey from walmart that we are going to start once it thaws out. Im also getting a free turkey soon from my work and guess who's belly it's going into. Yep! Kumahs!! . We're on our way to a balanced and variety filled diet.
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

U are more comitted than me... Lols I can't imagine breaking down one turkey let alone two!!! Good luck.
    sigpic
    Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
      U are more comitted than me... Lols I can't imagine breaking down one turkey let alone two!!! Good luck.
      It's not bad if you have a sharp knife. I also use a pair of garden shears and it helps a lot.

Good luck to Kumah with her turkeys!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
        It's not bad if you have a sharp knife. I also use a pair of garden shears and it helps a lot.

Good luck to Kumah with her turkeys!

I have one of those knives that never needs to be sharpened and it cuts through meat with ease. But when it comes to the bones I use a shears too. It just makes cutting through bone so much easier when it's still partially frozen sometimes.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

I got a turkey too! They had them for $0.54/lb at Meijer . I have no idea how to break down a whole turkey though. Yay for YouTube!
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
            I got a turkey too! They had them for $0.54/lb at Meijer . I have no idea how to break down a whole turkey though. Yay for YouTube!
            I complain about turkey... but we are getting another goat today, and Duke will have his first chance at Frites... and my the looks of them they are HUGE!! I guess because it is bigger? Poultry in general makes me a bit squeamish.
            sigpic
            Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
              I now have five in my freezer. I will get at least five or six more while they are cheap. I can cut up a turkey in like five minutes.
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I am tempted, but Ferg is on turkey strike again. If I had 5 here, he might never eat again lol.

sigpic
                Fergus
                Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                  I now have five in my freezer. I will get at least five or six more while they are cheap. I can cut up a turkey in like five minutes.
                  You all always put me to shame with your cutting abilities and with your fancy shears...

I figure since I am getting cheap turkey legs, wings and breast chunks for all under a dollar I am making out.?? But .64 for a whole is kinda hard to beat...
                  sigpic
                  Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I got five deer skulls and necks from my taxidermist friend yesterday. 30# of pure venison (including five tongues and brains!) and five skulls for special treats are all cut up and in the freezer. That did take me a couple of hours, though. Necks are hard to debone.
                    Tracy
                    sigpic
                    Mouse April 2010
                    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                      I got five deer skulls and necks from my taxidermist friend yesterday. 30# of pure venison (including five tongues and brains!) and five skulls for special treats are all cut up and in the freezer. That did take me a couple of hours, though. Necks are hard to debone.
                      My sister is over babysitting Kumah tonight (cuz I'm going to see Garth Brooks ), and I keep telling her all the stuff I'm eventually going to feed Kumah. Like hearts, beef tongue, organs and such and she's just squirming like a worm at the thought of it. She's lucky she only has to feed her some yogurt and chicken quarters for supper. Lol.

Tracy, I told her about the brains and she goes "what is wrong with you people, lol". My whole family doesn't get the concept of feeding raw.
                      ~Kelsey, mom to~
                      Cece- Calico 4 years
                      Tyke- 4 months

Comment

"You people" LOL!
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010

Comment

I've been told by at least 8 different people that I'm crazy, including my parents...but they're still hitting up all their hunter friends for free meat for the grand dogs
                          sigpic
                          Chaucey
                          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

If the people have dogs I just retort you are jealous because you don't get to only pick up two well formed terds a day :P and then I add they are only 4 inches or so each from my giant 90 pound puppy.
                            sigpic
                            Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

My mom is the only person in my family that gets it. She's a dog person and just doesn't feed raw because she gets most of her kibble free or really cheap, and raw would be a serious price increase. Everybody else thinks I'm nuts.

sigpic
                              Fergus
                              Eisen Shark

Comment

Working...
                              X