feed 1 or 2 meals per day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feed 1 or 2 meals per day?

Just wondering how many of you raw feeders feed just once a day? I've been feeding twice a day since switching her to raw. She started out at 1.5lbs per day to now about 2.5lbs a daycuz she began losing weight. Yesterday and today she fed off of a whole 6lb chicken and I only split it into 2 meals so I only fed her 1 meal per day and she seems to be reacting just fine to one meal.

Also does anyone feed fresh water fish such as sunfish, northern, walleye, or bass? I do a decent amount of fishing and ist be easy and inexpensive to be able to catch some of Kumahs meals. And do you feed with scales on? I would assume that if feeding sunfish that you atleast cut of the crest on the fish's back so it doesn't cut up the dogs mouth or throat?
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

We're still feeding twice a day. Once a day seems like it would be a ton of food at once since Finn's eating at least 5 lbs a day. I haven't fed any fish yet, but the lady who runs my co-op feeds whole fish and just cuts the sharp fins off.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I feed once a day, but Mouse's whole meal is only 1.75 pounds, so it's not very much at one time.

I couldn't get my picky prissies to eat freshwater fish...
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I feed twice per day. 3x for puppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

I already have all her meals packaged into single meals for eating twice a day so I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with that but it would be more cost effective and convenient to feed just once a day. I think Kumah would take to fish well, I have these salmon treats that she goes nuts for. But processed treats are quite different then catching a fish and throwing in my dog's bowl. Lol. So we'll have to test the waters with fish sometime.

On a side note her diarrhea has gone away again . thanks to all skinless/bone-in meals.
          ~Kelsey, mom to~
          Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
          Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
          Cece- Calico 4 years
          Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
          Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
            I already have all her meals packaged into single meals for eating twice a day so I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with that but it would be more cost effective and convenient to feed just once a day. I think Kumah would take to fish well, I have these salmon treats that she goes nuts for. But processed treats are quite different then catching a fish and throwing in my dog's bowl. Lol. So we'll have to test the waters with fish sometime.

On a side note her diarrhea has gone away again . thanks to all skinless/bone-in meals.
            That's great! Finn must have an iron stomach when it comes to raw, because he has only had diarrhea once, and that was after about 4 boneless meals in a row (hubby grabbed the wrong bowl). He's been tolerating chicken, beef, and blue ridge beef quail, plus a little liver starting yesterday, about 1 ounce!
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Yeah no more diarhea!!

Duke is temperamental about fish. Some days he is like "heck ya thus awesome" others he looks at me like I am asking him to eat... well something inedible. Pull off pokey fins and smaller fish scales are fine. Bigger fish the scales just become stinky glitter.. like he went to a fish str!p club. Swear I am still finding scales a week later. I do freeze them for atleast a week in an effort to kill off parasites.
              sigpic
              Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

I feed 2x but cut the morning meal back to 1#, then 2# for dinner. Aside from his turkey strike he seems to do better this way.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                Fergus
                SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                Eisen Shark
                C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

We r twice a day but breakfast is Small by half if not more some days.
                  sigpic
                  Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

We've only ever fed once a day with Loki. He's such a diva eater that he always ate better having more of an appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki Love View Post
                      We've only ever fed once a day with Loki. He's such a diva eater that he always ate better having more of an appetite.
                      I think we are headed there!!
                      sigpic
                      Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

We feed 2x per day. They are just getting about 3.75 lbs and 4 lbs per day, so i split it up into half and half.
                        Donna
                        Max (DOB-Apr 28-2013; gotcha date-Aug 23-2013)
                        Dyson (DOB-Sept 9-2013; gotcha date-Mar 8-2014)
                        Willow (DOB-Jan 26-2014; gotcha date-Oct 31-2015)

sigpic

Comment

Holy moly - 4 and 5 pounds per day? Dear lord lol. Minnie is around 3 pounds per day and Mickey at about 2.5 pounds per day. I couldn't imagine feeding 5 pounds per day.

Is Finn running marathons?

Comment

Originally posted by dn89lx View Post
                            Holy moly - 4 and 5 pounds per day? Dear lord lol. Minnie is around 3 pounds per day and Mickey at about 2.5 pounds per day. I couldn't imagine feeding 5 pounds per day.

Is Finn running marathons?
                            Duke is at the same amount. Marathons? Does growing count?
                            sigpic
                            Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                              Duke is at the same amount. Marathons? Does growing count?
                              Apparently growing counts lol

Comment

Working...
                              X