Venison?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison?

As of this morning the place where I've been ordering Ferg meat has venison available. They have "ground with bone", rib bones (doesn't say or show how much meat is left on them, but I assume they would not strip everything off?), or neck bones cut into 1-1.5" strips. I've never fed deer before, so I'm not sure which would be the preferred cuts to buy out of those. The neck and ribs are quite a bit cheaper than the ground.
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

I'm getting some ground (the BRB stuff) as well as neck roasts and ribs. Does Ferg like venison? I've heard to start slow with it as it is rich. I'd think the necks and ground would be better. The ribs I'm getting are supposed to be fairly meaty, but there's only so much meat on a ribcage.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

He's never had it, but he can get down on some elk meat. The ground is like $2.40/lb. The necks and ribs are each $0.80/lb. I'm inclined to go the cheaper route lol. Most of his boneless stuff is either beef or pork.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Fergus
      Eisen Shark

Comment

Oh, that's a big difference. Yeah, I'd stick with the cheap stuff.
        sigpic
        Chaucey

Comment

Whooo that is a difference!! I would surely try the cheaper stuff first.
          sigpic
          Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Ribs will have very little meat, most likely, but my dogs love them and eat them completely up. Very high in bone, probably 90-95%. The necks are also trimmed of meat and will be mostly bone. Mouse eats them completely also, but they are harder than the ribs and can be sharp if sliced up. These will be very bony cuts. The ground with bone, if it's say 75% meat, will be a better protein/meat value for your buck. Depends on if you are looking to add some variety bone, or variety meaty meat to the diet.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
              Ribs will have very little meat, most likely, but my dogs love them and eat them completely up. Very high in bone, probably 90-95%. The necks are also trimmed of meat and will be mostly bone. Mouse eats them completely also, but they are harder than the ribs and can be sharp if sliced up. These will be very bony cuts. The ground with bone, if it's say 75% meat, will be a better protein/meat value for your buck. Depends on if you are looking to add some variety bone, or variety meaty meat to the diet.
              Thanks! That helps out a lot. I wish they had something without bone, or even not ground.

sigpic
              Fergus
              Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                Thanks! That helps out a lot. I wish they had something without bone, or even not ground.

RIGHT!?! We are getting turkey chunks for this need and grab boneles chicken breasts when they are on sale for a 1.19
                sigpic
                Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                  RIGHT!?! We are getting turkey chunks for this need and grab boneles chicken breasts when they are on sale for a 1.19
                  I'm getting a lot of gizzards and hearts for the boneless stuff. Are you getting the turkey chunks from raw paws? I might order some but I need to see how much freezer space I'll have. And where the he!! Are you getting $1.19 boneless chicken breasts?
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

Whoa! No kidding. I just re-read that. I think I'm getting a steal on boneless chicken breasts for $1.97/lb!!! Usually for boneless stuff I do the ground beef blend from Texas tripe- it's muscle, heart, liver, kidney, and tripe all together, or I do pork roasts that are on sale at the grocery store. Now that it's turkey sale season, he'll be getting turkey breast for boneless too. I got my first sale turkey yesterday. A 22 lb beast for $16. I'm about to go carve it up and serve it for dinner!
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                      I'm getting a lot of gizzards and hearts for the boneless stuff. Are you getting the turkey chunks from raw paws? I might order some but I need to see how much freezer space I'll have. And where the he!! Are you getting $1.19 boneless chicken breasts?
                      Grocery store Krogers - chicken

Turkey chunks yes raw paws. Can't beat the price!!!
                      sigpic
                      Duke - 5/13/14

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
                        Grocery store Krogers - chicken

Turkey chunks yes raw paws. Can't beat the price!!!
                        Geez, our Kroger prices are $1.98 on sale! I've found whole turkeys on sale for $1.08 so far, hoping to find some cheaper ones soon.
                        sigpic
                        Chaucey

Comment

Dang. Sam's is our best at $1.97 for boneless chicken breast. The turkey I fed tonight was $0.77/lb. I fed a wing and a bunch of boneless chunks. He sniffed it, licked it once, then gave me the "EFF you and your poultry, Mom" look and went back to bed lol. 22 lbs is gonna last a long time at this rate!

sigpic
                          Fergus
                          Eisen Shark

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                            Dang. Sam's is our best at $1.97 for boneless chicken breast. The turkey I fed tonight was $0.77/lb. I fed a wing and a bunch of boneless chunks. He sniffed it, licked it once, then gave me the "EFF you and your poultry, Mom" look and went back to bed lol. 22 lbs is gonna last a long time at this rate!

Oh Ferg. Makes me grateful for Finn, who will eat anything you put in front of him. Asaah is my picky girl so far. Some days she eats everything, some days (like this morning) she eats some beef and leaves the chicken. I'm hoping that will change once she's been here a while longer. I'm not used to dogs that don't scarf down everything, never had one. That's usually the cat's job, although now she scarfs all her raw and then pukes raw beef and quail on my carpet
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey

Comment

He rejected the turkey again at breakfast lol. This time last year he was eating turkey like it was going out of style. Same for chicken. Now he could happily do without poultry at all, but tough stuff, puppy. All beef isn't an option and even if it was, I couldn't afford that lol.
                              sigpic
                              Fergus
                              Eisen Shark

Comment

Working...
                              X