Just started Raw & have a ?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started Raw & have a ?????

I just started my male on raw. We started with a mix of chicken backs & qtrs. He loved them & has had no issue with vomiting or poo. It has been about 2 weeks (going on 3 now since we started). I have started to add a little venison & chicken gizzards/hearts & canned salmon (1 time). This has worked well too. The only issue I have had is when fed split chicken breast.....he won't touch them unless I cut into large chunks which he then vomits because he is swallowing the chunks whole. Problem solved....I grind those now.

My question is that he seems to be skipping a meal now most days . Is this normal? He will sometimes refuse the chicken qtr/thigh but will gladly take a back from me. Could it be that he is just getting his fill & doesn't need more or is it time to start adding new meats because he is bored with chicken? I do weigh out his food to the appropriate weight for each meal. I'm using the 2.5% ideal body weight to calculate (because he could stand to take off a couple of pounds). I just want to make sure that skipping is normal & ok.
    sigpic
    Roxy & Ace

Loki often skips a meal - so it's normal for him. He's always been a diva/picky eater.

Is he skipping meals entirely or is he just being fussy with what meat/cuts he'll eat? Loki is fed between 3-4 lbs/day and 1 lb of that is always chicken quarters. He gets those first and if he finishes it, then we move onto the boneless stuff which he prefers. Maybe your puppers is just getting a bit fussy knowing there is better stuff coming? It could be he is ready to move on past the chicken stage too

Comment

Nope, he is not a picky eater. I have just noticed that the last few days he will sometimes eat 2x's a day as usual or he will just eat once & not seem overly interested in eating. He is not ill acting or anything. And yes I do think that it's time to start adding new protein to the meals. The only thing he doesn't really care for is split chicken breast. He doesn't seem to like large hunks of just meat.
      sigpic
      Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
      X