Going Raw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Raw?

My hubs and I have been talking feeding, and after much research....I think we're leaning to go RAW.
    I have look through the forums, and just want to know...starting an 8 week old puppy.. how much should we feed him? Is anything better to feed now since he will be so small?

I plan to continue researching...luckily I have another 4 weeks or so until he gets here. But since you all raised your pups, most on raw it seems..

What system did you use? Any tips?

Help!

raw

Start out with chicken wings and necks. Next go to chicken backs. If the pup starts swallowing the necks whole without chewing them stop feeding them. I always just looked at the pup and fed accordingly. You want to not overfeed and keep the pup on the thin side. Stay on one protein until the stools are good then add another protein. One at a time until the pup learns to digest them.

Comment

I started with ground chicken (bone included) when I switched my 2 adults and 1 puppy to Raw. That was easy on their tummies and gave them a chance to adjust to the raw meat before having to work on bones. I also gave a probiotic (Culturelle for about 10 days) to help them with the adjustment. We never had runny poos at all, not even once.

Then I went to different cuts of chicken (drumsticks, backs, necks, quarters etc). My adult Dane needs them chopped up for her or she won't touch them (she still chews them though). The puppy tried to swallow an entire drumstick the first time she had one. So I had to chop her cuts too for a while. Now she will work down any sized cut I give her, she has learned to chew it down to bite-sized pieces.

Now we are to the point that they get different proteins (turkey, pork, beef etc) in addition to the chicken, though chicken is still the majority of what I feed mostly because it's cheapest. They also get organ meat now (kidney, liver, tripe). Usually give a little bit of one type daily with their dinner. The adults prefer the organs still partially frozen, the pup could care less.

My puppy is very easy to feed Raw, the adults are much more picky and seem to have a MUCH higher learning curve after being on kibble their whole lives. Belle eats primarily chicken still but is very slowly learning to try the other meats. She will NOT eat turkey necks yet but we are slowly getting there. It helps to sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on their meals.

Just keep doing your research and you will do well with Raw. Biggest issue for me is NOT overfeeding the puppy. She loves it so much that it's hard to say no...
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

I started with chicken leg quarters and Puffin had no trouble with them at 9 1/2 weeks. You could start with necks or wings, but I don't think you need to go that small. Even my 10 lb cat can eat those and an 8 week old Dane puppy will be much bigger than that.
        sigpic
        Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
        X