Picky Puppy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picky Puppy!

Holly loves her BlueRidge Beef, but is super picky when it comes to some of the bones i get her. She loves Turkey necks, pork necks, pig tails, pig feet, but HATES chicken!!! I can not get her to eat chicken for anything!!! I tried rabbit last night, which is similiar to the texture of chicken... I thought she would dig in!!! she didn't want that either.

Anyone else have a picky eater? Suggestions on bones that aren't chicken or rabbit? Can she eat just turkey and pork bones? I didn't know if she needed more variety.

The main base of her diet is the Breeders Choice (Beef) and Green tripe. Her bones are typically with her dinner every night. Plus, she gets 3 eggs w/shell on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays with her breakfast.
    -Katie, Holly, and Millie
    Houndstooth Great Danes
    Member of the Great Dane Club of Louisiana

sigpic

Anaka wont/can't eat chicken. I think she is allergic. I give her pork bones and deer bones and she also gets ground turkey, beef and pork roast and chops. Also canned fish.
    "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Bella loves her BRB ground chicken but is not a huge fan of other cuts that I've given her (chicken drumsticks and quarters, turkey necks, and pork chops). I think she didn't know how to chew them down at first.

I let it slide for a while (while she was still adjusting to Raw in general) but eventually realized she was going to have to eat other meats than just the ground up stuff from BRB. So... to help her out, I chopped up the chicken quarters into bite sized pieces and sprinkled them with parmesan cheese. I gave her that for dinner. She would not eat it after an hour so we threw it away and gave the exact same thing for breakfast. She still refused so we tried again at dinner and she FINALLY started picking at it. The first time, she ate about half her meal. Now she will eat her entire bowl of chicken chunks. Just gave her pork chops for the first time last night with some chicken quarters and kidney. I think the kidney turned her off - she ate some of the chicken and refused the rest. So guess what she will be having for breakfast!?! lol

Fortunately for me, Bella is on the chunkier side so we can 'afford' to skip a few meals here and there without causing her any serious problems. Athena eats whatever I offer her and LOVES every bit of it. Daisy was a little more difficult but she's a fat chihuahua who does NOT like missing a meal so she was easier to convince...

But to answer your question, I think you can do just fine without chicken in Holly's diet - but it will just cost you more for the other meats.
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately, Holly is so lean, she can't afford to miss a few meals. Especially since we have shows back to back for the next 2 months!!! It has taken so much work to get the weight on her. Raw has been awesome so far. Its the only thing that has worked for us without her turning her nose up at it. She has gone from 104 to 115 in about 6 wks. She gets so excited when she hears that refridgerator door open!! lol. I can't keep her out of my kitchen without her being all underneath me! So we will just stick with the turkey necks, pork necks, pigs feet, and pig tail, which I've found pretty cheap at piggly wiggly.
        -Katie, Holly, and Millie
        Houndstooth Great Danes
        Member of the Great Dane Club of Louisiana

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBell View Post
          Yeah, unfortunately, Holly is so lean, she can't afford to miss a few meals. Especially since we have shows back to back for the next 2 months!!! It has taken so much work to get the weight on her. Raw has been awesome so far. Its the only thing that has worked for us without her turning her nose up at it. She has gone from 104 to 115 in about 6 wks. She gets so excited when she hears that refridgerator door open!! lol. I can't keep her out of my kitchen without her being all underneath me! So we will just stick with the turkey necks, pork necks, pigs feet, and pig tail, which I've found pretty cheap at piggly wiggly.

I think your plan is probably the best option for her. And after seeing her in person, I would not skip any of her meals either! Though she is looking great.

As long as you are providing alternatives, you should do just fine without chicken.

Wish I had shows to be at this month... We have NOTHING until September. I put her in a Focus class just to give us something to do and she's doing so well in it - I think she's telling me she wants to try agility! lol
          *Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

When I first started raw .. I had to show mine how to eat chicken. I think the texture throws them off .. it's really firm/dense and slick meat.

I pan seared it a little, then cut slits in (it all over it really), then I opened their mouth, put the chicken in, and closed their mouth on it .. then slowly I woudl let them open their mouth a bit, then I reclosed their mouth .. took about 3 trys and every one of them got it down pat lol.
            sigpic
            A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Working...
            X