No announcement yet.

Have questions about RAW...please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have questions about RAW...please help!

We have been tossing up the idea of feeding Bruiser RAW for the past few months now, and today we decided that we would really put in a lot of time researching RAW diets.

Currently Bruiser is eating Precise Holistic Complete - Wild at Heart River Line - Salmon. The reason why he's on fish is because he supposedly (from what we and the vet can gather) has allergies to Chicken/Beef. However, Bruiser has had a piece or two of chicken breast, a piece of steak, and some other chicken/beef treats and has had no issues. So, with our last vet visit, our vet thinks that MAYBE the mites could have made us think he had allergies, but to continue with the fish. We mentioned RAW and she said that would be something good for Bruiser.

So, now, we are researching it out. We have access to a butcher (my boyfriend's uncle is a butcher) and are going to get prices for the meats, etc, but wanted to have some specific questions answered.
    1. Since we *think* Bruiser has allergies to chicken/beef, could those allergies be towards the kibble and not the meat specifically? Like I said, he has had pieces of chicken/beef from when I've made dinner and has shown no reactions - same goes with treats that are chicken/beef. If necessary, I'm sure we can have the vet test him for those specific allergies.
    2. If he does in deed have allergies to chicken/beef, will this pose an issue to feeding raw?
    3. Are there any specific links to how much meat we should stock up on for lets say, 2 weeks worth of meals? He eats 2x a day and if a 3rd meal is necessary, I have an hour for lunch and can run home to feed him (it's about 15/20 minutes commute one way so I'd only have like 20ish minutes at home to feed him).
    4. We pay $60.00 (not including tax) every 2 weeks on a 30lb bag of food for him, so we gather that feeding raw will be expensive at first, but once we get in a routine it's actually cheaper. Is this right?
    5. Is it safe to stock up on meat, separate into meals, food save it and freeze it until we need to use it? Or is that not safe?
    6. Will this pose problems when we have to board Bruiser in December for 8 days when we go on our cruise? If it does, I may just have a family member house sit.
    I know that we can't start feeding RAW overnight as it takes research and time. We are hoping to start him on RAW with in the next couple of months. I'm hoping you wonderful ladies (and gentlemen) of DOL can help point us in the right direction. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions, and I'm hoping I didn't omit any information. I don't think I did, but you never know until a good question comes.

PLEASE help and THANK YOU in advance!
    sigpic
    My father: "Great Danes are great. But I wonder what a Less Dane is." My boyfriend Ronnie in response: "A chihuahua"
    "Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." - Smiley Blanton

Originally posted by chelle View Post
    Currently Bruiser is eating Precise Holistic Complete - Wild at Heart River Line - Salmon. The reason why he's on fish is because he supposedly (from what we and the vet can gather) has allergies to Chicken/Beef. However, Bruiser has had a piece or two of chicken breast, a piece of steak, and some other chicken/beef treats and has had no issues. So, with our last vet visit, our vet thinks that MAYBE the mites could have made us think he had allergies, but to continue with the fish. We mentioned RAW and she said that would be something good for Bruiser.
    Not always does an allergy carry over from kibble to raw. From what I gather, it's best to keep an eye on him. If you can afford it, vet testing could be better as well. (not everyone can afford it)

So, now, we are researching it out. We have access to a butcher (my boyfriend's uncle is a butcher)
    this will make you're life SO much easier, especially if he can get scrap or stuff that's JUST gone off for free. My partner used to work at a butcher shop and anything that was still eatable but not allowed to be sold usually came home with her to go into Cas's freezer!

[*]If he does in deed have allergies to chicken/beef, will this pose an issue to feeding raw?
    It'll mean upped expenses. You may have to go to hunters in you're area and see if you can get dear scraps. I know we can get deer and even kanagaroo here in toronto, though it costs an arm and a leg!
    Rabbits as well can replace you're chicken/beef. If you have a hunter in the family, that may go even better!

[*]Are there any specific links to how much meat we should stock up on for lets say, 2 weeks worth of meals? He eats 2x a day and if a 3rd meal is necessary, I have an hour for lunch and can run home to feed him (it's about 15/20 minutes commute one way so I'd only have like 20ish minutes at home to feed him).
    We stock up as much as we can. Cas's food usually lasts us 2 weeks. It doesn't hurt them to have more, which means less you have to buy! Cas gets two meals a day, and snacks/treats in between.

[*]We pay $60.00 (not including tax) every 2 weeks on a 30lb bag of food for him, so we gather that feeding raw will be expensive at first, but once we get in a routine it's actually cheaper. Is this right?
    Our bill usually runs us $40 a trip. but we go down to Chinatown, where things are a bit cheeper. If you have a Chinatown or some other ethnic neighbourhoods, check those out. THeir prices are usually a bit better then the grocery stores!

[*]Is it safe to stock up on meat, separate into meals, food save it and freeze it until we need to use it? Or is that not safe?
    It's definitely safe to stock up. If your neighbours have freezer burnt meat, try and get it from them! You have some meat that's freezer burnt, toss it in the dog freezer! We had a whole turkey that had gone off and it's just like "oh well, that'll last him a few days at least!"

[*]Will this pose problems when we have to board Bruiser in December for 8 days when we go on our cruise? If it does, I may just have a family member house sit.
    It MAY cause some issues, but you'll have to talk to where you're boarding him. He may do better if he stays home where he knows everything. We boarded Cas and they ended up HOLDING his food for him. When he came home, he expected us to do the same!
    If they don't have a problem with raw, then great! Tell them not to force him, because sometimes they fast themselves or just don't feel like eating. Cas didn't eat for like...two days when we brought him to my parents place for christmas. He was having FAR too much fun with my parents dog in the back yard.
    there are more members more knowledgeable then I am. I'm just saying what works for us!

Comment

A few more questions:
      1. What should we start with?
      2. Is there anything, vitamin wise, that we should stock up on now so we have it?
      3. Can we start with something other than chicken/Beef? Can we start with Turkey or Duck?
      My boyfriend is rattling off questions and I'm trying to type but he yaps quicker than my fingers can go!!!
      sigpic
      My father: "Great Danes are great. But I wonder what a Less Dane is." My boyfriend Ronnie in response: "A chihuahua"
      "Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." - Smiley Blanton

Comment

A few more questions:
        1. What should we start with?
        2. Is there anything, vitamin wise, that we should stock up on now so we have it?
        3. Can we start with something other than chicken/Beef? Can we start with Turkey or Duck?

My boyfriend is rattling off questions and I'm trying to type but he yaps quicker than my fingers can go!!!
        If I were you, I would try to start with chicken. The fact that you did not see any adverse reactions to the chicken and beef bits you have given is an indicator that his possible chicken/beef allergies may be limited to kibble. Chicken is by far your cheapest protein so it really helps a lot to be able to use it. If it becomes a problem and it's obvious that he does indeed have the allergy, then you can always change your protein source.

The only must-have vitamin that I would recommend is Vitamin C. Everything else is on an as-needed basis...

You can start with anything you'd like, but chicken is cheapest.
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

Oh and do you have a chest freezer with available space? I have 2 Danes and a chihuahua and keep enough food on hand to last me a month. That requires quite a bit of freezer space!
          *Jennifer*
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
            If I were you, I would try to start with chicken. The fact that you did not see any adverse reactions to the chicken and beef bits you have given is an indicator that his possible chicken/beef allergies may be limited to kibble. Chicken is by far your cheapest protein so it really helps a lot to be able to use it. If it becomes a problem and it's obvious that he does indeed have the allergy, then you can always change your protein source.

The only must-have vitamin that I would recommend is Vitamin C. Everything else is on an as-needed basis...

You can start with anything you'd like, but chicken is cheapest.
            Should we get the Vitamin C from GNC? Or from PetSmart/pet stores?

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
            Oh and do you have a chest freezer with available space? I have 2 Danes and a chihuahua and keep enough food on hand to last me a month. That requires quite a bit of freezer space!
            Unfortunately, we do not have a chest freezer. I had one about a year ago, but sold it to the local baseball league for their snack bar. I was moving and didn't have any room for it. So, I'm guessing we'll be getting one at some point soon....
            sigpic

Comment

You can get Vitamin C from an vitamin section of a department store, grocery store, pharmacy etc. Some people prefer plain Vitamin C, some prefer Ester C... either one will work.

I would give 1500-2000mg per day for a 1 year old. But don't start at that amount as it may cause runny poo if given too much too soon. Start with 500mg and gradually work up to the full amount. Vitamin C is great for a lot of things and I give it continuously.

A chest freezer will definitely make your life easier! Even if it's a smaller one.
              *Jennifer*
              sigpic

Comment

I highly suggest reading this website before starting the raw diet .. research before, not after .. makes it a LOT easier.

http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

Good Luck
                sigpic
                A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
                  I highly suggest reading this website before starting the raw diet .. research before, not after .. makes it a LOT easier.

Good Luck

Thanks! I will check the site out. We aren't jumping into it head first, thank god. We are doing our research and making the necessary arrangements to make sure we have ample supply (or access to it) when we start!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post

Good Luck
                    Thanks!!! We certainly aren't jumping into this head first, as we are taking out time to research it out. Plus we want to make sure that we have ample supply/access to it, before we start.

Thanks again and keep the tips coming!
                    sigpic

Comment

We give Cas Ester-c, fishoil and Liquid glucosime every so often for joints, coat and extra stuff.

Comment

We mentioned RAW and she said that would be something good for Bruiser.
                        Yay!! Having a vet who is on-board with raw is a HUGE help. Not essential, but it sure helps to have your vet on your side and not fighting you.

Since we *think* Bruiser has allergies to chicken/beef, could those allergies be towards the kibble and not the meat specifically?
                        Definitely possible. It's very likely that he's allergic to something else in the kibble too (like the preservatives or something used to process the meat), but even if it's the chicken or beef specifically, dogs can react differently to meats in kibble vs. cooked vs. raw form. Some are ok with raw but not cooked or kibble, some have problems with kibble but not raw or cooked. Some have issues with raw but not cooked. I'd say the kibble-form is most likely to cause a problem and it seems that raw is least likely (or at least raw and cooked are equally unlikely). Some dogs can't eat certain things in any form, but those are usually the exception rather than the majority.

If necessary, I'm sure we can have the vet test him for those specific allergies.
                        Meh. I'd probably save your money on this one. Most vets agree that food-allergy testing is wildly unreliable.

If he does in deed have allergies to chicken/beef, will this pose an issue to feeding raw?
                        Not necessarily (depending on the types of meat you're able to source), but it can make it more expensive. Pork and turkey are still relatively inexpensive options though. Duck, goat, lamb, fish, kangaroo and deer (as Cas mentioned), and there are many more possibilities. At that point it's going to be a matter of finding reliable, affordable sources for those meats.

Are there any specific links to how much meat we should stock up on for lets say, 2 weeks worth of meals? He eats 2x a day and if a 3rd meal is necessary, I have an hour for lunch and can run home to feed him (it's about 15/20 minutes commute one way so I'd only have like 20ish minutes at home to feed him).
                        Whether he'll need 2 or 3 meals a day will depend on him...I'd say after a year most dogs are fine with 2, but I do know a couple who still need three.

I'd guess you're going to shoot for somewhere around 3-4 lbs a day (maybe 5 if he's super active...my girls right now are eating closer to 2.5). So, average 3.5x14=49...roughly 50 lbs for 2 weeks.

We pay $60.00 (not including tax) every 2 weeks on a 30lb bag of food for him, so we gather that feeding raw will be expensive at first, but once we get in a routine it's actually cheaper. Is this right?

To break even, you're going to need to be able to get meat for $1.20 or less. If you have sources for free food for a good bit of it, you may be able to easily make this. If you end up able to feed chicken, it'll also be much easier. You might end up spending more though. I figure I average about $2/lb (though lately it's closer to $2.50). I feed a lot of beef that I get for around $2/lb and very little chicken (since Brembo won't eat it), but some. I also get a fair amount of goat and lamb, and those usually run closer to $3-4/lb through my sources.

Is it safe to stock up on meat, separate into meals, food save it and freeze it until we need to use it?

Yep. Totally safe. I'd venture to say that's what most of us do. If meat has been frozen continuously, you can even feed very old meat that most humans wouldn't want to eat (usually it's safe, just freezer-burned so tastes "off").

Will this pose problems when we have to board Bruiser in December for 8 days when we go on our cruise? If it does, I may just have a family member house sit.
                        Totally unrelated to raw-feeding, but I wouldn't board him. If at all possible, I'd have someone stay at your house with him. OTOH, some boarding places are ok w/ feeding raw. Others aren't. If you want to keep feeding raw and they're not, maybe see if they'll allow you to do a pre-packaged form...Honest Kitchen is dehydrated or something frozen like Bravo or Stella & Chewy's (or whatever you can get).

I know that we can't start feeding RAW overnight as it takes research and time.
                        It does take some prep, but it's really not all that difficult & hopefully your boy will enjoy it!

What should we start with?
                        IMO, start with chicken & see how he does with it. If you don't want to do chicken, try pork, venison or turkey (whatever you can get a lot of cheaply).

Is there anything, vitamin wise, that we should stock up on now so we have it?
                        If you're not going to feed fish, I would supplement with an omega-3 fatty acid (fish oil or the like). I give Vit. C if there's an immune-weakness for some reason (the dog is sick, has puppy warts, etc), but don't supplement with it on a regular basis.

Can we start with something other than chicken/Beef? Can we start with Turkey or Duck?
                        Yes, but duck tends to be $$ (at least in my area).
                        sigpic
                        Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

I love RAW and will never go bak to kibble ever! Foster loves it and its amazing for him. His coat is shiny and he LOVES meal time, I am never worried that he is not getting the nutrition that he needs.

Now saying all that:

1. Make friends with local wild game processors, they will give you organs, bones, and scrap meat for FREE.
                          2. Butchers will give you scrap meat and bone FOR FREE, but no organs, against the law or something
                          3. I researched online and found a place to sells WHOLESALE meat for RAW fed dogs that delivers to my area. I get 50lb of chicken for $18.50
                          4. It is soooo easy. I bag up his food for a week, put it in the fridge and feed it when its time (he eats a 6am and 6pm...give or take a half hour)

I feed him sardines and an egg once a week, I smash it into his chicken leg quarter or what ever he is eating so he has to eat the shell, but he generally has no problems with that anyway.

I love RAW and I hope you switch over. It is easy and your furbaby will love you for it (although they love you already)
                          sigpic
                          Wife
                          Mom to 4 human kids
                          Foster (Dane) 11/24/2011-12/21/2012

Comment

Glad you are doing lots of research before starting RAW.

IMHO, I think it's mostly just a learn as you go type thing. I did a TON of research, but still never felt ready. I finally realized I will never feel 100% ready and just jumped on board and have been tweaking things as I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Foster'sMommy View Post
                              1. Make friends with local wild game processors, they will give you organs, bones, and scrap meat for FREE.
                              2. Butchers will give you scrap meat and bone FOR FREE, but no organs, against the law or something
                              3. I researched online and found a place to sells WHOLESALE meat for RAW fed dogs that delivers to my area. I get 50lb of chicken for $18.50

Totally depends on the butcher and where you live. I've never found anyone around here willing to give away any meat for free. The cheapest I've found wholesale meat had ground beef for $1.71/lb and chicken for $0.69/lb, so $34.50 for 50 lbs. It really varies.
                              sigpic
                              Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                              You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                              You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X