So annoying.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So annoying.

So our rescue had to go to the ER today and of course the "what do you feed question" came up. I replied we feed the raw diet. He paled and said if you want to do that to an adult fine but don't do it to a puppy! He will get salmonella, I see the cases everyday -I would love proof of this-. Raw is completely reckless in a puppy. I have even seen owners get sick from feeding raw -sorry they don't know how to properly clean-. Finally I had enough of his "your puppy is going to get salmonella and die speech" and explained that when fed a raw diet they actually digest it much faster making it harder for germs to "stick" and that when on raw they have a completely different stomach chemistry. I also stated that kibble is more likely to give them salmonella since it sits in the tract much longer and has all the sugars which salmonella just love. Of course he quickly informed me that I was wrong and a dog can't change digestion based on what they are feeding and I should go get some Purina puppy chow since they are the best brand and have the highest standards. He put samples in the bag with his meds . I completely understand that raw is not for everyone and respect that but a vet should not be giving out these lies that dog food companies feed them. Oh he also said that people feeding raw had allowed his girls to go to amazing schools -again proof please!-

Vent over.

Now, whats the worst thing you have been told about how "horrible" the raw diet is?

Why was he at the ER vet? Is he OK now?
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

If a dog doesn't have a great digestive system Raw can and will cause salmonella, Jazz had it a few times.

Jazz had an issue at a time with hair ball obstructions (while on a raw diet) She was sent to the university with expectation of emergency surgery. One of the first questions was what does she eat, I was honest and replied raw. They pretty much accused me of being a bad owner and refused to run the tests that we were sent there for (2 hour drive when my own vet could have done the surgery) so basically because I told them she ate raw, they refused some care and told me I was killing her.

I no longer feed raw, as Jazz didn't do well on it, however if I did I'd be nervous speaking with any other vet than my own due to the treatment I had received. I don't care with held because of diet choice
      sigpic
      Emily
      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Momma25 View Post
        Oh he also said that people feeding raw had allowed his girls to go to amazing schools -again proof please!-
        I would have smiled sweetly at that comment and tell him that he shouldn't try and discourage me from feeding it then if it's done 'so well' for him and his family..

We haven't had any problems telling our vet(s) that Loki is raw fed. I consider ourselves lucky considering some of the stories I've heard!

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
          Why was he at the ER vet? Is he OK now?
          He has had a very rough start in life filled with neglect. He was seen yesterday and has a huge diagnosis list, but this am he added rapid breathing and restlessness (was awake from 6am-9pm straight today) so there was major worry that his anemia had taken a really bad turn. It is bad but hopefully he is going to avoid transfusion. You can read the whole story in my post our rescue in the introduction forum.

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
          If a dog doesn't have a great digestive system Raw can and will cause salmonella, Jazz had it a few times.

Jazz had an issue at a time with hair ball obstructions (while on a raw diet) She was sent to the university with expectation of emergency surgery. One of the first questions was what does she eat, I was honest and replied raw. They pretty much accused me of being a bad owner and refused to run the tests that we were sent there for (2 hour drive when my own vet could have done the surgery) so basically because I told them she ate raw, they refused some care and told me I was killing her.

I no longer feed raw, as Jazz didn't do well on it, however if I did I'd be nervous speaking with any other vet than my own due to the treatment I had received. I don't care with held because of diet choice
          I am so sorry y'all went through that No vet should ever turn away an animal period! I don't in any way think that raw won't cause issues in any dogs just to make is seen like I am trying to kill him was over the line. Our regular vet actually wasn't for raw at first but after I brought her ALOT of research which in turn made her do her own she is now very ok with it! We talked about it before putting Enzo on it and decided that it would actually benefit his anemia, we started red meat sooner than you usually would but since he is so young he has adjusted very well -or so it seems so far-. He likes eating it thats for sure . I really am sorry you had such a bad experience I really have to question why some vets even bother.

Originally posted by Loki Love View Post
          I would have smiled sweetly at that comment and tell him that he shouldn't try and discourage me from feeding it then if it's done 'so well' for him and his family..

We haven't had any problems telling our vet(s) that Loki is raw fed. I consider ourselves lucky considering some of the stories I've heard!
          It took so much not to say something. I don't doubt that he has seen some things when you are an ER vet I am sure you see a little bit of everything gone wrong. It was funny that he went on to tell me about all the kibble recalls and that was why I needed to feed Purina. Our actual vet decided to agree to disagree with us at first but now she has come around

Comment

I'm so sorry your vet responded that way!! In all honesty, though, if he really thinks that raw feeders have put his daughters through school, he should thank you.

We haven't had too many negative responses. A few vets have said that they think raw feeding is "the latest fad" or "a lot of hype," but our regular vet just said that she's not a dietician and she trusts that we'll do the research to be sure the diet is balanced (and she encouraged us to consult a canine nutritionist), but is otherwise supportive.

It's almost ridiculous how silly people can sound when their uneducated about a subject.
            sigpic
            Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
            You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
            You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by rahime View Post
              I'm so sorry your vet responded that way!! In all honesty, though, if he really thinks that raw feeders have put his daughters through school, he should thank you.

We haven't had too many negative responses. A few vets have said that they think raw feeding is "the latest fad" or "a lot of hype," but our regular vet just said that she's not a dietician and she trusts that we'll do the research to be sure the diet is balanced (and she encouraged us to consult a canine nutritionist), but is otherwise supportive.

It's almost ridiculous how silly people can sound when their uneducated about a subject.
              Yes, you could tell he was just spouting whatever came to mind. If he actually had an informed speech I would have shared with him why I felt it was the right diet for my pups as it was I just nodded. He actually told me that dogs don't digest kibble or raw any differently. After that statement I gave up, it was his reply to me telling him why kibble could make them more likely to get salmonella since it sits much longer. Ah well. He was just the ER vet with any luck we won't have to see him again

Comment

If I had a dollar for every person who told me I should not be feeding the bones! That's my biggest complaint!

I haven't had a vet visit since I have been feeding raw, but one of my dogs is due for shots in 2 months, so I am sure it will come up then.

Comment

Our regular vet went through every kibble with us and watched our IW continue to be allergic to it all. She was totally supportive of us trying raw, because nothing else was working. She saw the benefits, and his wonderful bloodwork as a result of raw, and is very supportive of it now.

We did end up at the ER once with him, and that vet flipped out on us. Too bad for him. I really don't care. Reilly is healthy and thriving, as are our other dogs.

We have now moved, and everyone has been healthy since we have been here, but I do need to find a vet, and it gives me nervous stomach to think about. We will see. I will not go to a vet that does not support what we need to feed our dogs.
                  Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                  Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                  RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

I'm lucky that the vets at my clinic are fine with raw. I don't feed the dogs raw anymore, but my kittens are raw fed. The only thing one of the vets ever said with the kittens was when we first found them at five weeks, she said that because Clem was so tiny and underweight it might be better to start with a high fat canned food for a while then switch to raw. They ate EVO canned for a month then went to raw, and have done wonderfully ever since. The vet is amazed with how much weight Clementine has gained and both of their condition, so she has no issue with what they're fed.
                    The vet I went to when Zephyr was a puppy accused me of feeding him horribly when he was young (Orijen) and wanted him on SD puppy... Then flipped when I went raw at five months. They also told me I was putting his life at risk by not giving him his rabies shot at 15 weeks with his last puppy shot and tried to give him lepto and bordatella when I told them that I did NOT want either. They also wanted him neutered at 6 months and didn't know what a gastropexi was. I switched vets at 6 months, and my parents switched all their animals as well.
                    Riddle went for his final shot last week and my vet told me that that's it until at least 6 months for rabies, then booster a year later, then either every three years or titer testing ! She also asked if I had thought about having him pexied. I love having good vets. All of them at the clinic are awesome.
                    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrie11 View Post
                      If I had a dollar for every person who told me I should not be feeding the bones! That's my biggest complaint!

I haven't had a vet visit since I have been feeding raw, but one of my dogs is due for shots in 2 months, so I am sure it will come up then.
                      My vet supports the limited raw feeding I do.

I feed TOTW kibble but give my dogs raw knuckle bones because a) my dogs love them! b)teeth cleaning (you should SEE my senior dogs' teeth!) and c) it helps to have a firm, boney poo go through them at least weekly, I think. When I tell some people I feed RAW BONES, they flip out and tell me I'm creating blood-thirsty killer dogs who will choke and/or die from horrible internal gut damage...
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

We've heard the gamet from people! "Aren't you afraid they'll get salmonella?" "But don't dogs choke on bones?!" "Aren't you worried that you're dog will attack you?" There's been others but they escape me at the moment.
                        Castiel was almost six months old before my mother-in-law would shut up about ear cropping, let alone his diet! He was almost a full year before she gave up on telling us that the bones were going to splinter and rip up his intestinal tract.
                        My father still hasn't stopped with the pursed lipped 'mom face' when we talk about Castiel's diet, despite the fact that, over christmas when we visited, THEIR dog had the time of his life sharing Castiel's food with no ill affects, and seeing how happy, energetic, and healthy Castiel is.
                        Our vet on the other hand, (Well former vet. She's going back to school so we need to find another, one closer to our current house) she was sort of ambivalent about it. She's a dane owner herself, and was just concerned about his calcium-phosphates ratios. But other than that, she just wanted to see him healthy. (Oh Cas loved her dog. We'd go in and she asked once if they could meet. THey wanted to wrestle in the tiny exam room! The vet techs outside, when I came out, were like "omg what happened?" "Oh they were just playing." "Oh god! I thought they were killing each other!")

Comment

im very lucky to have a vet that is supportive of our raw feeding. she doesnt feed raw herself, but does agree that it is a perfectly fine diet if done properly and my pets have the bloodwork to prove its being done proplery

our flack usually comes from my parents and friends. any more when people ask what i feed my dogs i just say oh we feed a homemade diet
                          sigpic
                          -Jamye: wife to Eddy; mom to Windsor (Great Dane), Dyna (Great Dane), Holley (Dsh Cat), Oogis (Maine Coon)

Comment

Working...
                          X