Canisource--Quebec Made Dehydrated 'raw'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canisource--Quebec Made Dehydrated 'raw'

Got Cas some Canisource for when we go camping this summer. It's a low temperature dehydrated 'raw' made from all human grade ingredients. 70% meat, 15% veggie, 15% grain, guaranteed. I know that if there's any heat, it's not really raw, but the freeze dried is so very, very, very expensive here. I was looking at anywhere from 15-20 dollars a kilo at trade show discount pricing. I've priced it out before at retail costs and a week's worth of food would have set me back 25-30 dollars/kg, or more, and at least one brand their biggest package is 7 oz. Not gonna get much out of that for a dane!

Ingredients are "Fresh pork & beef, white rice, whole barley, rolled oats, fresh apples, fresh carrots, fresh eggs, ground flax seeds, herbs mix, garlic, vitamins and minerals (calcium, phosphorous, sodium chloride, magnesium, copper, manganese, zinc, iodine, selenium, vitamin E, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxin,, folic acid, choline)

Breakdown is

Crude protein 27% min
    Crude fat 16% min
    Crude fibre 3% max
    Moisture, 8% max

Metabolic energy, 4696 kcal/kg.

In theory, they claim that you can feed this stuff dry, but they also recommend for dogs not used to kibble that you soak it, so I intend to do that. We'll see how Cas does on it. I'm gonna feed him a couple days' worth of it before our trip to make sure he won't end up with epic garbage gut.

They CLAIM that an adult dog of Cas's size will be fine on 3.3 cups of this stuff per day. I'm witholding judgement on that, especially as Cas is not yet fully an adult in my views, but it'll be interesting to see!
    1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

I did have Deuce on Canisource for a while, he was getting by on between 2-3 cups a day but he definitely was full grown at the time we were feeding it. I think it was better than many kibbles but he is on raw now and I don't think there is any comparison.
    Tamara and Deuce
    sigpic

Comment

Good to know. We're definitely not planning to move him to Canisource as a regular thing, but I like having some kind of dried food that I can give him in emergencies or when we are in places where we can't safely store raw meat. I'm hoping that Cas can get by on 2-3 cups a day of it this summer.
      1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

Working...
      X