Raw Food Weekly Diet Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Food Weekly Diet Plan

We are going to switch our puppy Great Dane to a Raw Food diet. I have never fed a dog a raw food diet so I'm wondering what you all weekly diet plan or menu looks like?

Thank you all in advance.

raw

Mine is never the same because it depends on what I can find on sale. I do regularly feed chicken frames and quarters. They get two meat meals a week except for my two oldest danes and they get one meat meal a day and one bone meal. It isn't cut and dried what you have to feed. Start with chicken then feed as many different things as you can find. Mine get organ meat twice a week.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Carol. Is it ok to feed a 8 week old dane raw food daily or should it be mixed up with regular food? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this.

Comment

Raw is safe for an 8wo pup and should be fed daily. There is no need to supplement with kibble.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

Ok thank you I'm excited to finally be figuring out the best stuff for him. I appreciate all the help and advice.

Comment

My Boerboel puppy is totally raw fed. And my Fila will be as soon as she gets here( just born May 15th!!).
            Their diets change according to what I can get. Chicken is a staple, and then what ever is added. Zuri LOVES chicken innards, so she gets them quite often. She is not thrilled with fish, so it is done very sparingly.
            There is a picture of Zuri and her turkry neck in this raw section
            Teresa
            sigpic

Comment

I am far too organized and have a monthly schedule lol, it doesn't always get stuck to 100% but my cat and ferrets are raw fed as well and have certain restrictions on what they can/will eat so this way I make sure everybody gets enough organs and variety. My boyfriend wants to know why I don't schedule his meals out too. Anyways the dogs normal week is

chicken quarter
              beef boneless
              rabbit bone in
              pork boneless
              chicken bone in
              turkey neck with organ meat/egg
              venison boneless and fish

There's usually another meal with organ meat in there somewhere, I switch up the parts and what protein source the organ meat is, the boneless meat is part heart too and the fish species might be pollock, herring, smelt or sardines. Just depends on what you can get and what you can afford, some dogs need more/less bone, mine dislikes fish so I feed them frozen but she does eat her organs well at least, the rabbit is whole prey and she doesn't really like fur so I skin most of it off for her fussy butt.

Comment

Ours is pretty foolproof. Scarlett's food is ground (some with bone, some without) so I just thaw 2lbs pork, 2lbs beef, 2lbs chicken, some organ, and 1lb tripe every few days and put it in a big covered bowl in the fridge, then spoon out a portion at every meal. Once a week I throw some canned mackerel onto her meal. She won't eat whole fish. The only thing she will eat whole with bone (aside from recreational chewing bones) is lamb, so she gets that when I can find it on sale.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Cas gets mostly chicken, but gets duck, turkey, lamb, pork and occasionally beef.

He's been raw fed since 10.5 weeks.

Our typical grocery shop goes "5-6 whole chickens, a big bag of ground pork, organ meat (which may be duck, chicken, pork or beef but is usually pork), two large bags of chicken carcasses (legs, breasts, wings removed), pork neckbones." That's a week's worth of food. It usually lasts two weeks or longer, though, because we buy meat on last day of sale and feed that and because I have, until now, gotten scrap from my job. I'm out of my job, though, so who knows what variety I'll be able to provide easily now.
                  1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

Just an FYI......in case you didn't know.....

When starting raw feeding you start with 1 meat (chicken) for a while and then add a different one later & so on.

I'm sure that those who raw feed will chime in a be able to tell you more about that.
                    sigpic
                    Roxy & Ace

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. He had his first RAW dinner last night and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatos View Post
                        Ours is pretty foolproof. Scarlett's food is ground (some with bone, some without) so I just thaw 2lbs pork, 2lbs beef, 2lbs chicken, some organ, and 1lb tripe every few days and put it in a big covered bowl in the fridge, then spoon out a portion at every meal. Once a week I throw some canned mackerel onto her meal. She won't eat whole fish. The only thing she will eat whole with bone (aside from recreational chewing bones) is lamb, so she gets that when I can find it on sale.
                        That's a really great idea - most of Duke's food is ground (except for the chicken quarters and turkey necks) so I'll have to thaw and mix it into a bowl together once he's eating all of the varieties I have! Right now there is an entire shelf of covered dishes in my fridge.

When I got him, at 8.5 weeks, he had already started eating ground chicken with bone and green tripe at the breeder's. He's 9.5 weeks now and still gets chicken & tripe, but I've switched him to a cut up chicken quarter and added in boneless ground pork & ground salmon. So far, so good... I've got turkey necks, liver, kidney, and a beef/tripe mix to add in gradually.
                        sigpic

Duke - mismarked mantle dane, March 14, 2012
                        Twitter: @DukeTheDane

Comment

Originally posted by AprilLynne View Post
                          He's 9.5 weeks now and still gets chicken & tripe, but I've switched him to a cut up chicken quarter and added in boneless ground pork & ground salmon. So far, so good... I've got turkey necks, liver, kidney, and a beef/tripe mix to add in gradually.
                          Sounds like you're doing great!

sigpic
                          Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Starting puppy on raw

Good job so far!
                            Mommy to

White shepherd, sunny
                            Delaney, Great Pyrenees
                            Yogi bear, karakachan Pyrenees mix
                            Nell, Great Pyrenees (belles place ain't misbehavin)

Comment

This morning is our 2nd pick-up of food from the RAW co-op! Duke is now (finally) eating everything on my list... I might need to tweak it a bit, but so far his poops seem pretty normal.

This was last week's meal plan (the first week with everything added in):
                              Breakfast - chicken quarter (roughly cut into a few pieces with some skin removed) and some green tripe
                              Lunch - 80/20 Beef Mix with some Salmon or liver or kidney
                              Dinner - Turkey neck (sliced into 1-2 inch pieces) with some boneless pork

He really likes the salmon so I've been giving that most days at lunch and throwing in a little liver or kidney twice a week.

I've been weighing his food and was trying to do a full pound at each meal, but that seems to be too much for him to eat so I've gone down to about 11 ounces and that's enough for him to lick the bowl clean.

He's also getting a 500mg Ester C at each mean (so 1500mg total a day) as well as a multi-vitamin twice a day (the vet's suggested one while I was getting started on RAW to supplement any learning curve).

He's also growing like a weed: on Wednesday he weighed 35lbs on the scale at Petsmart (we went in for an 11wk birthday present - he picked a pink stuffed hippo, haha), he has a booster-shot tomorrow so we'll see how much he's gained but I can tell he's a little taller already! And everywhere we go, people comment on how shiny his coat is... must be the RAW!
                              sigpic

Duke - mismarked mantle dane, March 14, 2012
                              Twitter: @DukeTheDane

Comment

Working...
                              X