blood work/raw diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood work/raw diet

pea and bentley are going to their brand new vet next wednesday for their yearly wellness check. when i made the appointment, i asked for general blood work to be done, neither has had any done for a long time (i don't even recall if they've EVER had it done since being with me).

my question is...will the results of blood work give me an idea as to how their bodies are handling their raw diet? bentley gets no supplements. pea gets flexicose for her joints. other than that, they are strictly meat and bones dogs with the occasional peanut butter cookie thrown in for good measure. they do get yogurt and a little cottage cheese for dessert. they get a pretty good variety...chicken, pork, turkey, ground beef, liver, kidney, the occasional tame rabbit when i find them in the store.

their coats are amazing, they have good appetites and i'm sure i will find, after exams, that they are both healthy dogs. i'm just wondering if blood work will give me an indication as to whether or not they need something more than they are getting. they have been raw fed for 8 months now.

tia!
    [SIGPIC]

Yes!! Reilly's last bloodwork was his best EVER and my vet was so impressed. His previous bloodwork were all done before raw diet. She was astounded at his improvement, and said I am doing it right. I give a lot of organ meat, but I also give them MSM with Glucosomine, fish oil, and vit C.
    Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
    Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
    RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

thanks, chris. i know when ashley had blood work done just 3 weeks before she was laid to rest, it was perfect and her new vet was impressed.

i've thought about starting them on fish oil since the only fish meals they get are canned salmon. neither seems to like fish any other way. i also think i will start bentley on a glucosomine/msm/chondroitin supplement, it sure can't hurt! how much vit C do you give?
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

What types of things do you test with the bloodwork? Do you mean like a cbc and chem panel...that type of bloodwork? or is there more I should be looking at?
        sigpic

Comment

Char, Omega 3 is what you are gaining from the fish oil. Free range eggs are second to fish oil in omega 3 (thats what we use). Do you have a farmer near you to supply you with FREE RANGE eggs? Store bought eggs do not contain the same omega 3 because the chickens do not free range their diet.

We also use canned sardines which Reich LOVES!!! Like he goes crazy for them... but they smell ucky!

I can't wait to see what your blood work results are.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
          ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
          <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

Originally posted by vraiment View Post
            What types of things do you test with the bloodwork? Do you mean like a cbc and chem panel...that type of bloodwork? or is there more I should be looking at?
            in all honesty, i don't really know! i just told the girl that my dogs have been raw fed for 8 months now and i wanted whatever blood work needed to be done in order to determine if they are "missing" anything in their diet.

Originally posted by intensgrl View Post
            Char, Omega 3 is what you are gaining from the fish oil. Free range eggs are second to fish oil in omega 3 (thats what we use). Do you have a farmer near you to supply you with FREE RANGE eggs? Store bought eggs do not contain the same omega 3 because the chickens do not free range their diet.

We also use canned sardines which Reich LOVES!!! Like he goes crazy for them... but they smell ucky!

I can't wait to see what your blood work results are.
            oh court, i WISH i had someone to supply me with free range eggs!! i don't know a soul around here who has free range chickens. i will probably just start them on the fish oil capsules.

i have given my dogs the canned sardines and they inhale it!

i'll post blood work results after their appointment.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
              oh court, i WISH i had someone to supply me with free range eggs!! i don't know a soul around here who has free range chickens. i will probably just start them on the fish oil capsules. .
              Well, you will either have to move closer to me, or get a couple hens It IS in your dogs best interest.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
              ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
              <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

honey, my family is ready to throw a net over me NOW. giant dogs in the house, goats and a pig...if i go out and bring chickens home, they are gonna chase me down, tie me up and send me to the looney bin!!

do you have a room with a view for me??
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Charlene, if I am getting goats and a pig, you can get chickens, lol!! I give 500 mg of Vit C a day. Ayla was on 1000, but since her surgery, I have only put her back on 500.
                  Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                  RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

wait a minute, chris. you have to start with big horses, then get a couple of llamas then 2 mini horses and THEN goats and a pig if you are gonna catch up with me. THEN i will think about chickens!
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Oh geez...chickens are easy!

Come on Charlene...I live in the city and have them

Comment

yeah but do you have coyotes and foxes in the city?? i would not mindhaving a few chickens but i'm not sure i want something i have to shut in every evening and let out every morning.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Go back and get the llama, it will protect your chickens.
                          sigpic
                          Emily
                          Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                          Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                          Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
                            wait a minute, chris. you have to start with big horses, then get a couple of llamas then 2 mini horses and THEN goats and a pig if you are gonna catch up with me. THEN i will think about chickens!
                            My husband is gonna clobber you!!! lol. I would love to have all of them.

sigpic

Comment

he's gonna have to catch me to clobber me!

emily...NO!!!!!
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X