Anyone do raw without chicken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone do raw without chicken?

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do raw frugally without any white meat? Like no turkey, chicken, duck, lamb, or pork. I know Lamb probably isn't technically white, but still somewhat of an irritant.

Zeus is starting to react to his dog food again and I am thinking of doing raw. He has been on raw before with chicken and it was terrible. Does anyone do raw with an allergy dog, specifically with beef/fish?? Is it do-able or just too costly?
    sigpic
    Shaun-4, Kairos (SDiT) at 13 weeks, Cole-6, and Zeus (CGC, PAT, TDI) 2yrs

organic chicken necks are pretty cheap... So are turkey necks - then supplement what you can find on sale- Beef or whatever....

Maybe you know a hunter who can supply you with Deer meat....
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NavyWife View Post
      I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do raw frugally without any white meat? Like no turkey, chicken, duck, lamb, or pork. I know Lamb probably isn't technically white, but still somewhat of an irritant.

Zeus is starting to react to his dog food again and I am thinking of doing raw. He has been on raw before with chicken and it was terrible. Does anyone do raw with an allergy dog, specifically with beef/fish?? Is it do-able or just too costly?
      Are you saying that he is allergic to Chicken, turkey, duck, and pork???
      sigpic

Comment

raw

Chicken necks are too small except for small pups. They swallow them whole and don't chew them. It's better to go with a larger portion of chicken that they have to chew.

Comment

to take out all of those meats would very possibly cause a deficiency in vitamins/nutrients. and lamb contains high levels of copper. copper is necessary but in too high of amounts very dangerous. i would not advocate feeding a beef/fish only raw diet. i also do not have the experience others have though so i could be missing something.
          i would be highly intrigued if there were an animal allergic to all of those meat sources.

ETA: in your specific situation, i assume you would be waiting until well after the move and transition period before switching foods?
          Last edited by isa aldawolfa; 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM. Reason: ETA
          sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Have you tried all of those proteins in their raw form before? Most of the times when they allergic to a cooked protein their are not to it's raw form. I would be really surprised if a dog is allergic to all of them.

You will probably be fine without the true white meats, chicken, turkey, duck and rabbit. I dont know about red meat though. Dogs really need red meat. And keeping a dog on only beef and fish would be deficient in my opinion. If you can find some game meat though, i think it should be fine.

Comment

venison would be your best option as far as the budget is concerned.. but since your hubby is in the navy, i'm guessing he has to miss out on a few hunting seasons every year.. which means you can't get it for free.

Ground chuck is probly your best bet..

hmm.. thats a hard one. :\
              Tracy Miller
              sigpic
              Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
              Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
              Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Originally posted by chryssac View Post
                Have you tried all of those proteins in their raw form before?
                We have tried raw chicken, turkey, pork, and lamb, all with serious violent reactions.

Originally posted by isa aldawolfa View Post
                ETA: in your specific situation, i assume you would be waiting until well after the move and transition period before switching foods?
                Yes, I would wait until after the move, I am just considering option as we are running out of food options. He has been on just about every food available that isn't a crap food (and even crap foods usually are chock full of chicken) and so far there have only been 2 he did even somewhat well on. 1 of those he cannot maintain weight, and the other he is starting to react to.

Originally posted by kmoore24 View Post
                Are you saying that he is allergic to Chicken, turkey, duck, and pork???
                Yes, that is what I am saying. Originally, I thought the allergy was to the flax and not to the protein, but the food he is on now is full of flax and he does relatively well on it. However, he is starting to have reactions to it. IE, mushy poo, goopy eyes, dull (very dull) and flaky coat, even after several (well like 3) weeks of coconut oil and professional grooming.

Originally posted by kmoore24 View Post
                organic chicken necks are pretty cheap... So are turkey necks - then supplement what you can find on sale- Beef or whatever....

Maybe you know a hunter who can supply you with Deer meat....
                Sadly, I do not know any hunters. But I have heard that looking on craigslist can be helpful. I wonder how he would do on deer....
                sigpic

Comment

We have tried raw chicken, turkey, pork, and lamb, all with serious violent reactions.

What kind of reactions? Highly unlikely that he's allergic to all of these.

If so, there's probably something else going on & I'd work with an acupuncturist or holistic vet to figure it out. Vit. B shot sometimes help dogs with allergies.

That said, you probably can do raw with beef, fish, venison, rabbit, etc. I feed a lot of beef....it's our "chicken." I usually get it around $2/lb.
                  sigpic
                  Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                  You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                  You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Dittio - What kind of reaction?
                    sigpic

Comment

Almost all GI which is why his regular vet told me he was not allergic and encouraged me to feed him a chicken based puppy food. Uck. All his symptoms were GI, massive explosive diarrhea that would turn into mucus poo. Even after being on it for the usual adjustment period, he would continue to decline, constant diarrhea, reduced appetitie, weight loss, etc. I would bring sample after sample in for testing, esp of the mucus and they would say he has infection in his intestines and prescribe flagyl and antibiotics but it would only stop when the food stopped. On this food, he hasn't had the massive diarrhea, but he is scratching his face a little, has dry flaky skin, dull coat, and is back to not gaining weight and looks like crap. Vet told me to give him 50mg of benadryl once a day, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
                      sigpic

Comment

How many times did he have the raw forms? Was any kibble being given too?

Dogs will sometimes detox when first given raw...it can take awhile for their systems to calm down, especially if already all inflammed and sensitive

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                          How many times did he have the raw forms? Was any kibble being given too?

Dogs will sometimes detox when first given raw...it can take awhile for their systems to calm down, especially if already all inflammed and sensitive
                          He was on raw for 2 months or so I think, maybe a little less. When he was younger, and having food issues, his breeder and I were working with him to get him onto raw and she kept telling me to stick it out until it she felt it was just going on too long. And she told me no kibble at all, that it would just confuse his system. After that first time, we didn't do raw again, just tried him on different forms of kibble. Although, his vet did say if he was allergic to chicken, that he was probably allergic to all poultry and he does react pretty harshly to turkey based foods.
                          sigpic

Comment

Have you ever tried adding slippery elm powder to his food?

I feed raw and rotate thru out the year the main protein source. The last 3 months it has been venison. My dogs do extremely well on venison. Only complaint is there poop smells on it. Not sure why, it still turns white and crumbles up, but smells almost like cow manure!

They eat mainly the venison ribs and then I supplement it out with beef heart/liver/kidney/spleen and right now ground beef since the butcher had about 300lbs of ground beef the people never picked up.

However they only have 2 deers left to butcher so after next week, we will be going back to chicken and pork.

Casper gets tear stains on chicken, but otherwise all my dogs seem to tolerate it pretty well. They get turkey only around Thanksgiving as the rest of the year it is too expensive here.

Comment

Have you taken him to an allergist to find out exactly what he's allergic to? The initial expense can be a little pricy, but probably alot cheaper in the long run than having to keep changing foods and going to the vet to deal with symptoms. I took my Shepherd to an allegist years ago and found out that his allergies were inhalent and contact, not food related. Also, has the vet ruled out IBS or something similar? Just weird to be allergic to so many different protein sources.
                              sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X