Stella and Chewy's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stella and Chewy's

I am thinking about switching my dogs to a raw diet. I acctually have a coupon for some of the Stella and Chewy's frozen food. Has anybody here used the stuff? Is it any good?

I currently feed Canidae ALS grain free and supplment with Salmon Oil. I am currenly reading Dr. Pitcairns's complete secrets to the Natural Health of Dogs and Cats and it has inspired me to feed raw. The book has some recipes in it but I am very overwhelmed by all of the nutrients and vitamins that you are supposed to add to the raw diet. I was hoping to start out with a raw diet that is already made with the correct nutrients etc. Any advice for me?

I have 1 dane currently. She is 11 years old and is in great shape. We just lost one last month to cancer though, he was 10. I also have 2 other dogs (mix breeds) and 4 cats.

Thanks

Originally posted by tameyourself View Post
    I am thinking about switching my dogs to a raw diet. I acctually have a coupon for some of the Stella and Chewy's frozen food. Has anybody here used the stuff? Is it any good?
    I use Stella & Chewy's sometimes--usually as treats or on rare occasions when I don't have anything defrosted since it expensive. My dogs like it, and I think it's good quality for a pre-made raw. I wouldn't necessarily feed it all the time though--part of the point of raw is that the dog exercises his jaws and mind when he eats, and clean his teeth, etc, and that doesn't happen when you feed pre-made.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't add any supplements to raw aside from the occasional thing if there is a specific health problem. As long as you stay within the rough guidelines of 10% bone, 80% meat and 10% organ (with half of that being liver) and as much variety as possible, you shouldn't have to worry about being nutritionally unbalanced. Reading a book by Lonsdale might be a good idea.
    sigpic
    Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Thanks for the info. I might get some of the Stella and Chewy's and give it as a treat. I will definately read some other books before taking the plunge. I just know that feeding raw would be so much better for my babies.

After posting this yesterday I was reading on some other places that you don't have to supplement like I thought. That makes me feel better. I will look into the book by Lonsdale! Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, it's not nearly as complicated as some of the older books make it sound. Good thing, or we'd never keep up!
        sigpic
        Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
        X