Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you say...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what do you say...

    to a Mother-in-law who wonders if my skin boys will get sick from Blaze eating raw? I was able to tell her (from my reading) about the acid in dogs tummies, their short digestive tract & quick digestion of raw that pretty much prevents them from getting Salmonella, Ecoli, Parasites, etc. She now wonders if Blaze eats raw meat & gets the blood & such on his mouth & paws then the boys touch Blaze's face & feet can't they get Salmonella from this? Hmm, I've not really seen this come up in my reading & now she's kind of got me wondering?? Please put my mind at ease Obviously it's not a thing that occurs much or else no one would feed raw but I wondered how I explain it to her or if I'm missing a "clean up" step. I'm currently spraying the floor with a bleach/water solution & using my Swiffer to mop up the feeding area & using same solution for counter tops. I'm not doing any Blaze cleaning
    UPDATE: Blaze is now eating chicken (of course), chicken liver & gizzards & eggs. He tried to eat the pork neck & recently pork tails I bought but can't seem to get the bones crunched up. He just chews as much meat off as he can then leaves it. Next i'm going to get some pork rib tips if I can find them at a decent prince. He's doing so great!!!!
    Hope you all have a great day!!!

  • #2
    I'm not sure about others but I wet wipe paws and face. I'm not even sure what the best "wipe" to use is, but sometimes I use a baby wipe and sometimes I'll grab a papertowl and spray with with a rinse free shampoo. I'm nervous about using a clorox type wipe that close to their face or where they make lick.

    Hope someone else chimes in, I'd like to hear their clean up routine!

    Em
    sigpic
    Emily
    Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
    Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
    Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

    bluesfightscancer.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Blaze is a DOG. Dogs have germs. They lick their butts, eat poop, and all kinds of other totally discusting things. Yet somehow, people kiss and hug their dogs, even share ice cream cones with them, and not get sick.

      If u r truely worried, use a 50/50 plain vinegar and water mix. the vinegar will take care of all the little cooties without exposing anyone to a carcinagen like bleach. It works on the floor, counters , & dog. I dont even buy soap spray for clean up anymore... just the $2 gal bottle of vinegar from Walmart.
      sigpic
      Still looks frozen to me.....

      We didn't do it It was the cats...

      Comment


      • #4
        it is most likely no riskier than feeding kibble, which is covered in bacteria as well. or kids getting licked by the same mouth that just licked its behind...
        but to ease your own mind, you can always wipe up there faces after eating. DO NOT USE BLEACH. bleach is a heavy oxidizer and creates poisonous gas when it comes in contact with organic material. you could use a vinegar/water on a cloth and it should kill any potential bacteria.
        sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by autumnroyal View Post
          Blaze is a DOG. Dogs have germs. They lick their butts, eat poop, and all kinds of other totally discusting things. Yet somehow, people kiss and hug their dogs, even share ice cream cones with them, and not get sick.

          If u r truely worried, use a 50/50 plain vinegar and water mix. the vinegar will take care of all the little cooties without exposing anyone to a carcinagen like bleach. It works on the floor, counters , & dog. I dont even buy soap spray for clean up anymore... just the $2 gal bottle of vinegar from Walmart.
          hahahaha.. looks like we were both typing at the same time
          sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by isa aldawolfa View Post
            hahahaha.. looks like we were both typing at the same time
            Great minds think a like!
            sigpic
            Still looks frozen to me.....

            We didn't do it It was the cats...

            Comment


            • #7
              Breathing in vinegar makes my asthma go bad, any other suggestions that are safe and more natural?

              Thanks!
              Emily
              sigpic
              Emily
              Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
              Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
              Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

              bluesfightscancer.com

              Comment


              • #8
                I love the vinegar/water mix idea. I now make everyone leave the bathroom (where I feed Blaze) after I clean & use the upstairs bathroom until the smell clears out. They'll all be happy to have their bathroom back. I never cleaned Blaze's face or paws unless there were visible "parts" & then just used water and a papertowel. This will put my (& hopefully my mother in laws) mind at ease.
                As usual YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!
                Thanks-Robin!!
                Hope you all have a great day!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
                  Breathing in vinegar makes my asthma go bad, any other suggestions that are safe and more natural?

                  Thanks!
                  Emily
                  Ive heard of people using a little Dawn dish soap in water for clean up. Ur still using chemicals from the soap, but its MUCH better than bleach. If u wanted all natural, u could look into natural soaps like lye (not sure I spelled that right). I dont use it, so I dont know how it would be on the dog. too harsh maybe?

                  Too bad vinegar bothers u! even in a water mix? I cant even smell the vinegar wen i use mine.
                  sigpic
                  Still looks frozen to me.....

                  We didn't do it It was the cats...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I use white vinegar, as well. And sometimes Lysol wipes. Not on the dog, though. I use baby wipes on the dog. Carlie does not get anything on her. Her fur is short, and she stands and eats without touching her food. My IW has long fur and a beard, and he likes to lay on the floor and use his legs to hold his meat. He is the one I have to clean up. He practically rolls in the mess he creates on the floor. BOYS!!!
                    Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                    Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                    RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tell her that much worse things come out of a dog's back side than go in it's front, and ALL dogs lick the back, so the raw meat isnt gonna be any worse than whats already there.
                      Tracy Miller
                      sigpic
                      Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                      Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                      Dog Food Advisor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When this issue comes up this is my favorite news link http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=11344300

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm a transplant patient and on several immunosuppressants. I actually had to take injections for a while to get the white cell count up cause the drugs were doing too good of a job. that said, I feed raw and I'm not dead yet. I do have separate cleaning sponges/scrubbers for my dishes and doggie dishes and I do wash faces with baby wipes, but my dogs still kiss my face and I'm okay so I would think kids would be too.
                          sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X