$/Month?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $/Month?

This has MORE than likely been asked before but I'm sure many of us like seeing it every once and a while to see if we're missing out, hehe.

Just wanted to know how much you spend a month on raw food for each dane (Canadian dollars if you can). I know a lot of you find deals and get free food, but even with that, how much is it?
    Please include the gender and/or weight of your dane because I know some require more than others.

Annnndddd... That's it
    Let's compare

Mine=$0 because my dane doesn't exist yet. Lol. Or maybe he does, I just can't go looking for him till next year.

I have a male 115 lbs. We feed prey model. I dont know the conversion to Canadian, but we are spending about $40 usd per month on raw. We have also decreased the cost spent on supplements such as glucosamine & fish oil because he is getting this in the raw diet. We are part of a local raw feeding group that orders meat in bulk. We also plan to take advantage of stores clearing out turkey supplies after Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by thisiscyndi; 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM.
    "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
    sigpic
    Rocky & Emma
    Follow our adventures at
    www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Here's a breakdown we posted on another forum. You'll be feeding ~2% of their ideal adult bodyweight...

If getting started on RAW, breaking down your cost of meat and freezer space is VERY important especially if you have big dogs or multiple dogs.

Here is our breakdown for our dogs (we don't include the cost of the cat...she gets the scraps LOL)

Finding a freezer is easier than you think, free ones are posted on craigslist all the time so I would say that cost is negligible.

Here is a guide for determining how much freezer space you will need:

28 cu. ft. of freezer space for ~500 lbs. of meat
      14 cu. ft. of freezer space for ~250 lbs. of meat
      7 c u. ft. of freezer space for ~125 lbs. of meat

We have an upright freezer that is about 24 cu. ft. and we routinely buy ~300# of meat at a time. We could fit much more considering we package our meat into containers that hold 2-3 days worth of meat.

300# of meat usually will last about a month and a half or two.

We have 4 dogs that weigh:

Shiloh (wolf): 65
      Emmy (mutt): 65
      Akasha (currently growing Dane): 80
      Bailey (adult Dane): 120

We buy meat that is on average (adding up all the costs of the different meats we buy and dividing by the # of meats) 60-75 cents per pound

Shiloh, Emmy and Akasha all cost us ~ $1 per day to feed

Bailey costs us ~$2 per day to feed

The meats we buy on a regular basis:

chicken backs, turkey necks, beef heart, pork ribs, pork roasts, whole tilapia, pollock fillets, lamb ribs, beef liver, chicken liver, beef kidneys, etc.

This breakdown does not include all the free meat that we have found to come in contact with (trust me its out there, ya just gotta know where and how to look for it

So, looking at the breakdown, is RAW worth it???

Comment

I'm getting ready to switch mine over. I found supplier through my co op for chicken backs, 40lb cse for .29 a pound. Works out to about 11 us.
        sigpic

Comment

I get 150lbs for $20 us. That is a months supply for two dogs, a dane and an 85lb lab mix. Some months I may need to supplement with some chicken backs which I get for 59cents a lb but I get a lot free from saving them from whole chickens we eat, and my mom and mil save them for us as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
            I get 150lbs for $20 us. That is a months supply for two dogs, a dane and an 85lb lab mix. Some months I may need to supplement with some chicken backs which I get for 59cents a lb but I get a lot free from saving them from whole chickens we eat, and my mom and mil save them for us as well.

150lbs or what kind of meat for $20 that is amazing
            Jennifer
            http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Comment

Originally posted by sassydane8539 View Post
              150lbs or what kind of meat for $20 that is amazing
              Its a meat recycling program....we get the past date meat from grocers. honestly, the meat is probably fine even for human consumption, definitely for dogs. It does tend to not have much bone though, so I add chicken backs etc. This month I got hamburger, roasts, turkey drumsticks, whole chicken, tilapia, salmon, beef tongue, and pig feet.

Comment

That is awesome...how did you get into this program should I just go to my local grocery store and speak with the butcher?? We are military and I shop mainly at the commisary for my family and started for my pups I tend to get alot more for my buck but would love to get it cheaper..If I freeze the out of date me is it ok to keep for a month or so if I had alot of it
                Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by sassydane8539 View Post
                  That is awesome...how did you get into this program should I just go to my local grocery store and speak with the butcher?? We are military and I shop mainly at the commisary for my family and started for my pups I tend to get alot more for my buck but would love to get it cheaper..If I freeze the out of date me is it ok to keep for a month or so if I had alot of it
                  Its not something you can usually do on your own. I think the program is called quest or something. The woman who runs it picks up around 2000 lbs a month so its a LOT.

I am out right now, but later this evening I can get you the actual info. I did have butchers saving offcuts, chicken backs etc and I got those for around 60 cents a lb

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                    Its not something you can usually do on your own. I think the program is called quest or something. The woman who runs it picks up around 2000 lbs a month so its a LOT.

I am out right now, but later this evening I can get you the actual info. I did have butchers saving offcuts, chicken backs etc and I got those for around 60 cents a lb
                    Thank you I would appreciate it soooooo much!!!!
                    Jennifer

Comment

sassydane8539, you can also call your butcher at the commissary and they can order in meat for you. I get my turkey products at the commissary and whole chickens as they have the best prices around. They usually have an about to expire meat freezer with already frozen meats I check too. I just picked up a bunch of lamb for 1.50/lb last week. I get my chicken backs through an Oma's Pride retailer--she orders me what I need every two weeks. The 40lb boxes are $20.
                      Meg
                      AeroDanes

Comment

Originally posted by Brindle baby View Post
                        sassydane8539, you can also call your butcher at the commissary and they can order in meat for you. I get my turkey products at the commissary and whole chickens as they have the best prices around. They usually have an about to expire meat freezer with already frozen meats I check too. I just picked up a bunch of lamb for 1.50/lb last week. I get my chicken backs through an Oma's Pride retailer--she orders me what I need every two weeks. The 40lb boxes are $20.
                        Thanks I am going to talk to them friday if they arent to busy
                        Jennifer

Comment

well crud, the link I have is broken and I am not coming up with anything searching.

It is a recycling program through Quest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristin14136 View Post
                            I'm getting ready to switch mine over. I found supplier through my co op for chicken backs, 40lb cse for .29 a pound. Works out to about 11 us.
                            Ugh wish you were closer to me! Thats a damn good price! Stupid city living way more expensive...
                            sigpic Halpert at 28 months

Comment

Well I can see I am in a tiny minority I bet!!!!!!!!

We figured the first month Jensen was on raw- we bought pre made Chicken dinners, already ground and mixed with veggies- "Club Canine", we were buying bulk 500gram packs, and we paid $510 Canadian for his first month on raw.
                              We were advised to try a different store and the 1200gram packs, and we think we are under $400 Canadian per month now.

I just bought $65 for 10 1200gram packs, which last about 5 days. We are feeding Jensen 5 feedings about 500 grams each right now. He is not only a puppy, he is an underweight puppy, so I assume his feeding size per day will decrease substantially when he gets up near healthy weight and begins his adult life... but for now he is eating at least 2000 grams a day.
                              A best case scenario would be 30 days and 2000 grams per day (we feed more, but 2000 minimum we figure) at $330 Canadian per month.

I'm sure we can feed him cheaper, but he is doing so well on what he is eating right now we aren't going to deviate for a little while.... I'm sure 250 per month once he gets to adult life will be more than enough to cover him, maybe even 200 a month if we figure more economical ways down the road.....

Ours is tough, we CAN'T really try to feed cheaper, we want the best we can until Jensen shows signs of real health improvements, and until then we don't want to experiment.

We love raw, it's more effort in cleanliness only (for US), a bit more money, but worth every penny for what it has done for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X