• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alicat613
    started a topic BARF - please read

BARF - please read

Not the original posting but this was the general topic

Hi all,

I repeatedly get questions from folks regarding the BARF diet and, quite frankly, the content of the messages are frightening. Folks are asking things like, “I gave my dog a bowl of vegetables and he/she won’t touch them. What do I do?” Other questions want to know if they can continue feeding cooked bones to their dogs (NOT). Still others want to know why their dog is not well after changing to BARF, literally overnight.

If you got your dog from a breeder that BARFs, make sure you have ALL the information from him/her to continue in a safe manner, if this is your intention. If you currently feed a commercial product to your dog, but the BARF diet is something that you are interested in, please do the research about what folks are feeding and in what quantities. Found out the who, where, what, why’s of the diet and make a sensible decision once you have the information. There are many BARF groups on the Internet, some of which are Dane-related Join the groups and then make your own decision on what’s best for “your” dog. Ask questions if there is something you don’t understand.

As far as I know there are no verifiable scientific studies (longitudinal or otherwise) that prove a BARF diet has any specific advantages over a commercial diet (If there have been studies done, please point me to them) This does not say a BARF diet is without merit as there are plenty of testimonials that say it is clearly the better choice.

The point of this post is not to say /nay to any diet, but rather to bring awareness to the fact that a dog’s diet is of crucial importance and YOU must be “informed” in order to make a rational and safe choice.

Paul

Well said Paul! It's scary how many people will do things without the research. With BARF, limited or no vaccines, and other 'regimens' with your pets, it's always something that requires research, time and work, not simply, oh I heard of this, let's do it!
    Last edited by dolmod; 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM.

• oshagcj914
    replied
    Originally posted by Louie Vuitton View Post
    Does anyone have more information about how often bloating occurs with raw diet compared to kibble? It seems to me it should be less but it still a prevalent issue in the breed.
    I highly doubt there are any studies. Maybe a survey or something out there but none I know of. IMO prey model raw is the best diet for dogs, but it's certainly not a magic cure all and won't prevent bloat.

Leave a comment:

• Louie Vuitton
    replied
    Bloating

Does anyone have more information about how often bloating occurs with raw diet compared to kibble? It seems to me it should be less but it still a prevalent issue in the breed.

Leave a comment:

• iluvgreatdanez
    replied
    Raw feeding, Bloat etc

Hi there. I am reading the posts about danes bloating on raw. It certainly can happen. We have found that the gas is definitely less than when eating kibble but there are more factors at play with bloat.

Our dane, Sherlock (God rest his sweet baby soul), was kibble fed and was tacked at two years after we lost a dane to bloat. As Sherlock aged, he "bloated" 15 or 20. We would give him GasEx and would either take him to the vet or wait in tears. He also developed a cough and looked not himself. As a last ditch effort, we took Sherlock to a chiropractor. She adjusted him and the persistent cough and bloat episodes stopped. COLD! He went in the office dragging his back feet. We did not bother to put a leash on him because he just looked old and uncomfortable. After the adjustment, he ran out the door, did two loops around the van and hopped in. It was amazing! I was a cynic. Had never gone to a chiropractor (still haven't but as I write this, I am wondering why) He needed adjustment every 6 weeks or so. The cough would come back and we would take him in and poof...all better. Amazing!

I would absolutely recommend raw feeding, inactivity after eating, preventative gastropexy and chiropractic care. It saved Sherlock's life so many times! The incidence of bloat is just too great in our breed.

Stephanie Johnson

Leave a comment:

• Shana Ruess
    replied
    Originally posted by joyable View Post
    Matter of fact, two of my three (at that time) had been rawfed for 5 & 6 years respectively. One bloated/torsed, the other torsed his colon and had to have 6" necrotic tissue removed. Feeding raw may have delayed this or given them a strong immune system which helped them both to survive, but it didn't prevent it.

With Danes and GDV, unfortunately there are no magic bullets. Gastropexy can buy you lifesaving time -- which is invaluable -- but even that doesn't prevent bloat.
    So very true. My three year old girl died last summer from bloat. She'd been on Raw since she was 10 weeks old. She bloated twice before the incident that did her in, but she didn't torse those first two times. It was only with hindsight and seeing it all happen and know what was happening that I realized she had bloated before. Luckily those times she also successfully threw up, releasing the gas. Each time was worse that one before. But her digestive system was messed up even on Raw, bad breeding no doubt the main cause of her ailments.

Leave a comment:

• joyable
    replied
    Originally posted by CarolB View Post
    Dogs can bloat on a raw diet but they don't do it as much as they do on kibble.
    Matter of fact, two of my three (at that time) had been rawfed for 5 & 6 years respectively. One bloated/torsed, the other torsed his colon and had to have 6" necrotic tissue removed. Feeding raw may have delayed this or given them a strong immune system which helped them both to survive, but it didn't prevent it.

With Danes and GDV, unfortunately there are no magic bullets. Gastropexy can buy you lifesaving time -- which is invaluable -- but even that doesn't prevent bloat.

Leave a comment:

• CarolB
    replied
    Dogs can bloat on a raw diet but they don't do it as much as they do on kibble.

Leave a comment:

• dyingtogetadane
    replied
    Hi! I want a great dane sooo bad!! I have been researching them all day today!! I've read through some of the threads on this website and I read in the thread about bloating that virtually no dogs get bloated on the raw food diet. I didn't see that issue addressed anywhere in the "raw only" threads, so I was just wondering if you guys agree with that? Thank you and thank you for all of the information and pictures!!
    Arin

Leave a comment:

• CarolB
    replied
    RE: BARF - please read

Google dogs BARF or Raw feeding. There's lots of information. We'll help you if you have questions.

Leave a comment:

• MelissaW864
    replied

I'm in Seneca, SC and new to this raw feeding but want to learn more I have a 13 wk old great dane and would love to know more about the meals.
    mdwjrw@aol.com

Leave a comment:

• XcelDanes
    replied

Post this question under RAW thread and you will get replies.

http://www.xceldanes.com/XCelLogoSignature.jpg
    Lisa
    www.xceldanes.com

Leave a comment:

• daneaholic
    replied

Hi,

Is there a BARFer that would be willing to talk to me on the phone? I have alot of questions, but limited computer access at this time. My number is 325-338-1278, my name's Nicole. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• CarolB
    replied

The protein level in a raw diet is low. I suggest you drop the kibble and feed raw only. Keep the puppy thin so as to slow the growth down. You do not want a pudgy puppy.

Leave a comment:

• CarolB
    replied

The protein level in a raw diet is low. I suggest you drop the kibble and feed raw only. Keep the puppy thin so as to slow the growth down. You do not want a pudgy puppy.

Leave a comment:

• ksguerke
    replied

Following email was sent to dolphinazg

Subject : raw diet
    ..i have a 4 month old puppy who is growing so fast i am concerned about the PROTEIN level of the raw diet..i am combining raw (from the prepared frozen kind/narures variety)with a dry food called "orijin" which simulates raw but it is in kibble dry/form.. he seems to be growing very fast too

any views on the protein concerns?

my last great dane was on normal dry food and he grew so large 42 inches tall and died of a heart attack at 4 yrs old...so worried about going thru that pain again...

help
    kathy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X