X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BARF - please read

Not the original posting but this was the general topic

Hi all,

I repeatedly get questions from folks regarding the BARF diet and, quite frankly, the content of the messages are frightening. Folks are asking things like, “I gave my dog a bowl of vegetables and he/she won’t touch them. What do I do?” Other questions want to know if they can continue feeding cooked bones to their dogs (NOT). Still others want to know why their dog is not well after changing to BARF, literally overnight.

If you got your dog from a breeder that BARFs, make sure you have ALL the information from him/her to continue in a safe manner, if this is your intention. If you currently feed a commercial product to your dog, but the BARF diet is something that you are interested in, please do the research about what folks are feeding and in what quantities. Found out the who, where, what, why’s of the diet and make a sensible decision once you have the information. There are many BARF groups on the Internet, some of which are Dane-related Join the groups and then make your own decision on what’s best for “your” dog. Ask questions if there is something you don’t understand.

As far as I know there are no verifiable scientific studies (longitudinal or otherwise) that prove a BARF diet has any specific advantages over a commercial diet (If there have been studies done, please point me to them) This does not say a BARF diet is without merit as there are plenty of testimonials that say it is clearly the better choice.

The point of this post is not to say /nay to any diet, but rather to bring awareness to the fact that a dog’s diet is of crucial importance and YOU must be “informed” in order to make a rational and safe choice.

Paul

Well said Paul! It's scary how many people will do things without the research. With BARF, limited or no vaccines, and other 'regimens' with your pets, it's always something that requires research, time and work, not simply, oh I heard of this, let's do it!
    Last edited by dolmod; 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM.

RE: BARF - please read

Thank you, Paul, for saying this. I also see too many people talking about switching to BARF, without really knowing what they are doing, simply because "so-and-so" says it's great for the dog. It's almost like feeding BARF has become the latest "fad", or trend. But screwing around with your dog's diet when you don't know what you're doing is not something to be done on a whim! I hope that everyone that *needs* to read your post does so. Folks need to educate themselves, their pets lives are depending on it!
    JMHO

Heather and Bacchus
    Greenville, SC

Comment

Well said Paul. I really think that doing a BARF diet can have severe consequences if not done properly. I think that it is an ok diet, but you must know everything and research your head off before implementing it. I mean like 6mo.-1yr. We get sick if we do not get proper nutrition, and so do dogs.

Whinny's Mommy
      (Jamie)
      http://www.PictureTrail.com/jneveaux

Comment

Also to add to Paul's post is that if you are interested in feeding a raw diet you don't have to go it alone! There are plenty of good, reputable companies, that are reasonably priced that make it for you and all you have to do is buy, pre-formed 'dinner' blocks. I myself don't feed Raw anymore...too busy...but I have one link that may explain it better than I can:

www.mountaindogfood.com

Good thread Paul!
        Michele

Comment

Sage Advice and logical too!

~ Bonnie ~
          May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

I feed raw and agree that before you feed this diet you must research. It is alot more work than just pouring kibble in bowl. I myself have had wonderful results with this diet. One of my dogs had horrible allergies and was almost put down b/c no one could fix her no matter what my vet did. My other dog had pano and immune mediated joint disease and also was about to be put down. When I switched to BARF the problems went away. But this is just my story.
            But this is not a fad or trend. I know breeders and people like me who have been feeding this diet for over 30 yrs with awesome results. The people who are feeding raw are aware of what is in kibble and wish not to feed it. But that is there choice and that is fine but I think everyone needs to research both kibble and BARF before you give your opinion. B/c you can't bash one without knowing much about the other. If you do you feed kibble feed a high quality. High quality is not Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc. But that is my opinion. I did not write this to make anyone mad, just to make people aware that there are pros and cons with everything.
            Here is a link that talks about both kibble and BARF www.barfdiet.com
            Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

I meant to say this before, just got too busy at work.
              THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

I also have been thinking about BARF, but just from listening to the many voices of experience on this site, I know that it is not something to be entered into lightly. I am just in the very, very early stages of research to determine whether this is the right choice for my dog and I. If I do decide to do this, it will not be until probably more than a year from now after many months of research.

I really just want to thank Paul and all of you other great DOLers for helping me to be a smarter Dane companion. :+

:* :* :*

Comment

Mira,
                I hope you didn't think I was putting the BARF feeders down, and I realize that it is not a fad, and has been around a long, long time. What I meant was that lately it seems like a lot of people are hearing about how great it is, think they should switch their animals to it, and just start buying turkey necks and veggies and think they're doing fine. They don't do the research, they don't plan ahead, and they end up with sick animals, wondering what happened. That's what I meant by it becoming a fad.

Personally, I know I don't have the patience or energy or time to do BARF for Bacchus. If the day should come that I decide I do, or need to for his health, then I will come back here, search the archives, and turn to you experts on the subject before I buy even one chicken wing! lol

Gotta run!

Heather and Bacchus (the soon to be two-year-old boy!)
                Greenville, SC

Comment

I understand that you were not trying to put BARF down. I was just stating a point. Everyone thinks that this diet is hard but it really isn't. I fed kibble for 17 yrs and fed BARF since May so I understand both sides. And actually I think BARF is easier as long as you know what you are doing. My breeder showed me how and what to feed. It sounds harder than it is, really. But before you start definely do research. If you screw this diet it up you will have a sick dog. Sorry if I sounded rude in my last post, I didn't mean to. This is just a hot topic for me.
                  Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

This thread makes a very good point...with any endeavour we undertake that is unfamilar to us proper and thourough research is the key. Without being informed and knowing exactly what a project entails, we potentially set ourselves (and in this case our danes) up for failure or worse.

As others have already stated, I urge people to do the research on raw diets BEFORE they get knee deep in it. And please, ask questions. Most of us wouldn't be feeding raw if we didn't have some sort of support network to help us when something crops up that may not be covered in any one of the numerous books on raw feeding.

:+

Comment

AMEN!

~ Flash and Anna ~

:+ :+
                      May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

:f

Always a complainer...

That reminds me...Paul, have you ever considered an 'ignore' feature?

Comment

I agree with you Bill and it isn't so much about 'complaining' as it is just pointing out that OUR RAW SECTION does not require a 'WARNING'. (Capital words are emphasized here. Not shouted) If something MUST be pinned in the diet sections perhaps the following part of the message is all that would be 'neccessary'.

I took the liberty of editing it just a touch! :P

"The point of this post is to bring awareness to the fact that a dog’s diet is of crucial importance and YOU must be “informed” in order to make a rational and safe choice."

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
                          http://eastwooddanes.com/H5AA.jpg
                          www.eastwooddanes.com
                          Kim E.

Comment

>Why is it necessary to post a 3 year old thread in the raw
                            >section about the dangers of feeding raw (or BARF) but there
                            >no thread in the kibble section pointing out the dangers of
                            >feeding kibble?

Because!

Comment

It shows clear bias. :f

Comment

Working...
                              X