This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: BARF - please read

Wow this is an old thread!! It was when I first started raw and was still following the BARF ways!!! What a long time ago :P

I agree with Bill though....I think it is a little rude to be putting a "warning" about the raw diet b/c it isnt what certain people who feel it is necessary to be posted dont feed. Maybe if they feel that a "caution" thread should be on top, maybe someone who knows about the raw diet could make it. Say something like

" In this section we discuss the raw diet. It is a personal choice that should be made with many hours of research and talking with people who feed such a diet. This diet takes alot of time and understanding of how to do it properly, but once done, the results are amazing"

Short and simple...nothing rude at all. Just my .02
    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

Wow this is an old thread!!

Yes it is, and it was moved here from the old diet forum, when we started to move posts over to the new raw forum, where it was also "stickied". Where was the outrage then?

I certainly hope that this doesn't occur with each and every remaining posts, Paul and I have to move to this new raw section. Unfortunately, we still have about 50 more pages to sort thru in our spare time.
      sigpic
      In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
      Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

BARF - please read

Hi all,

I repeatedly get questions from folks regarding the BARF diet and, quite frankly, the content of the messages are frightening. Folks are asking things like, “I gave my dog a bowl of vegetables and he/she won’t touch them. What do I do?” Other questions want to know if they can continue feeding cooked bones to their dogs (NOT). Still others want to know why their dog is not well after changing to BARF, literally overnight.

If you got your dog from a breeder that BARFs, make sure you have ALL the information from him/her to continue in a safe manner, if this is your intention. If you currently feed a commercial product to your dog, but the BARF diet is something that you are interested in, please do the research about what folks are feeding and in what quantities. Found out the who, where, what, why’s of the diet and make a sensible decision once you have the information. There are many BARF groups on the Internet, some of which are Dane-related Join the groups and then make your own decision on what’s best for “your” dog. Ask questions if there is something you don’t understand.

As far as I know there are no verifiable scientific studies (longitudinal or otherwise) that prove a BARF diet has any specific advantages over a commercial diet (If there have been studies done, please point me to them) This does not say a BARF diet is without merit as there are plenty of testimonials that say it is clearly the better choice.

The point of this post is not to say /nay to any diet, but rather to bring awareness to the fact that a dog’s diet is of crucial importance and YOU must be “informed” in order to make a rational and safe choice.

Comment

I'm sure this is going to sound like a stupid question-BUT-I was always under the impression chicken/turkey bones are VERY bad for dogs because they splinter. That was drilled into my head since birth "Never feed a dog chicken or turkey bones, they'll splinter and could kill the dog" I personally am not considering a raw diet-for me it's not in the realm at this point in time. But I was just curious as to the answer. Thanks!!

Comment

If cooked they become brittle and will splinter. Raw chicken bones are soft and don't present a problem in most dogs.

Comment

Oh! Well good to know! Thanks!!!

Jennifer Lynn
              Thor
              and coming soon
              Ragnar

Comment

AS a Raw feeder who has done her research and tryed not only a lot of kibbles but many different raw brands as well, do beaware that even within the raw brands there are differences, After having a 3rd generation raw dog(the breeder fed raw) and switching my rescues over after going to a holistic vet who reccomends raw, i now see amazing results with my clientele on raw. I personally really like Urban Carnivore, and have had great sucess. I agree you need to read read read. Joanne.

Comment

Following email was sent to dolphinazg

Subject : raw diet
                  ..i have a 4 month old puppy who is growing so fast i am concerned about the PROTEIN level of the raw diet..i am combining raw (from the prepared frozen kind/narures variety)with a dry food called "orijin" which simulates raw but it is in kibble dry/form.. he seems to be growing very fast too

any views on the protein concerns?

my last great dane was on normal dry food and he grew so large 42 inches tall and died of a heart attack at 4 yrs old...so worried about going thru that pain again...

help
                  kathy

Comment

Following email was sent to dolphinazg

Subject : raw diet
                    ..i have a 4 month old puppy who is growing so fast i am concerned about the PROTEIN level of the raw diet..i am combining raw (from the prepared frozen kind/narures variety)with a dry food called "orijin" which simulates raw but it is in kibble dry/form.. he seems to be growing very fast too

any views on the protein concerns?

my last great dane was on normal dry food and he grew so large 42 inches tall and died of a heart attack at 4 yrs old...so worried about going thru that pain again...

help
                    kathy

Comment

The protein level in a raw diet is low. I suggest you drop the kibble and feed raw only. Keep the puppy thin so as to slow the growth down. You do not want a pudgy puppy.

Comment

The protein level in a raw diet is low. I suggest you drop the kibble and feed raw only. Keep the puppy thin so as to slow the growth down. You do not want a pudgy puppy.

Comment

Hi,

Is there a BARFer that would be willing to talk to me on the phone? I have alot of questions, but limited computer access at this time. My number is 325-338-1278, my name's Nicole. Thanks.

Comment

Post this question under RAW thread and you will get replies.

http://www.xceldanes.com/XCelLogoSignature.jpg
                            Lisa
                            www.xceldanes.com
                            sigpicLisa
                            www.xceldanes.com

Comment

I'm in Seneca, SC and new to this raw feeding but want to learn more I have a 13 wk old great dane and would love to know more about the meals.
                              mdwjrw@aol.com
                              sigpic

Can you please let me in now?

Comment

Google dogs BARF or Raw feeding. There's lots of information. We'll help you if you have questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X