Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! I want a great dane sooo bad!! I have been researching them all day today!! I've read through some of the threads on this website and I read in the thread about bloating that virtually no dogs get bloated on the raw food diet. I didn't see that issue addressed anywhere in the "raw only" threads, so I was just wondering if you guys agree with that? Thank you and thank you for all of the information and pictures!!
    Arin

Comment

Dogs can bloat on a raw diet but they don't do it as much as they do on kibble.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
        Dogs can bloat on a raw diet but they don't do it as much as they do on kibble.
        Matter of fact, two of my three (at that time) had been rawfed for 5 & 6 years respectively. One bloated/torsed, the other torsed his colon and had to have 6" necrotic tissue removed. Feeding raw may have delayed this or given them a strong immune system which helped them both to survive, but it didn't prevent it.

With Danes and GDV, unfortunately there are no magic bullets. Gastropexy can buy you lifesaving time -- which is invaluable -- but even that doesn't prevent bloat.
        Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
        sigpic
        Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
        MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
        AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
        Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Originally posted by joyable View Post
          Matter of fact, two of my three (at that time) had been rawfed for 5 & 6 years respectively. One bloated/torsed, the other torsed his colon and had to have 6" necrotic tissue removed. Feeding raw may have delayed this or given them a strong immune system which helped them both to survive, but it didn't prevent it.

With Danes and GDV, unfortunately there are no magic bullets. Gastropexy can buy you lifesaving time -- which is invaluable -- but even that doesn't prevent bloat.
          So very true. My three year old girl died last summer from bloat. She'd been on Raw since she was 10 weeks old. She bloated twice before the incident that did her in, but she didn't torse those first two times. It was only with hindsight and seeing it all happen and know what was happening that I realized she had bloated before. Luckily those times she also successfully threw up, releasing the gas. Each time was worse that one before. But her digestive system was messed up even on Raw, bad breeding no doubt the main cause of her ailments.

Comment

Raw feeding, Bloat etc

Hi there. I am reading the posts about danes bloating on raw. It certainly can happen. We have found that the gas is definitely less than when eating kibble but there are more factors at play with bloat.

Our dane, Sherlock (God rest his sweet baby soul), was kibble fed and was tacked at two years after we lost a dane to bloat. As Sherlock aged, he "bloated" 15 or 20. We would give him GasEx and would either take him to the vet or wait in tears. He also developed a cough and looked not himself. As a last ditch effort, we took Sherlock to a chiropractor. She adjusted him and the persistent cough and bloat episodes stopped. COLD! He went in the office dragging his back feet. We did not bother to put a leash on him because he just looked old and uncomfortable. After the adjustment, he ran out the door, did two loops around the van and hopped in. It was amazing! I was a cynic. Had never gone to a chiropractor (still haven't but as I write this, I am wondering why) He needed adjustment every 6 weeks or so. The cough would come back and we would take him in and poof...all better. Amazing!

I would absolutely recommend raw feeding, inactivity after eating, preventative gastropexy and chiropractic care. It saved Sherlock's life so many times! The incidence of bloat is just too great in our breed.

Stephanie Johnson
            Stephanie Johnson
            Mom to Guinness and Ernie

wigglesandwagmore@gmail.com
            http://wigglesandwagmore.com

Comment

Bloating

Does anyone have more information about how often bloating occurs with raw diet compared to kibble? It seems to me it should be less but it still a prevalent issue in the breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Louie Vuitton View Post
                Does anyone have more information about how often bloating occurs with raw diet compared to kibble? It seems to me it should be less but it still a prevalent issue in the breed.
                I highly doubt there are any studies. Maybe a survey or something out there but none I know of. IMO prey model raw is the best diet for dogs, but it's certainly not a magic cure all and won't prevent bloat.
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                X