Barf recipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barf recipes

Anyone have a good recipe for vegetable Puree? Oliver is doing great on Nutro (solid for a few weeks) and I'd like to introduce some new veggies into his diet. I introduced a few one by one just to judge if he had any reactions to them, but he seemed to be fine. I just don't want to give him any veggies that he shouldn't have. Any good ideas out there? Thanks!!

RE: Barf recipes

BARF really doesn't have any recipes. You can feed any veggie as long as you vary them and don't use the same one over and over daily. Put them thru a blender or food processor first and add them to the food. You can also feed fruit too doing it the same way. I give about 1/2 cup per dog daily of the veggie/fruit mix.

Comment

Any restricted veggies? I've heard onions and potatoes are not good for them.

Comment

No onions aren't good for them. Don't feed at all. On potatoes you can use them sometimes. Cut the eyes out. I use sweet potatoes at times. You can lightly steam them or feed raw. I would use spinach sparingly.

Comment

Hi Chrissy,
          I just wondered why you feel you need to supplement your puppy's diet- are you unhappy with the results of the food you are feeding? From what I understand about BARF (and I'm sure Carol will correct me if I'm wrong) the reason for the veggie meal (and all the supplements) is that raw bones alone do not provide complete nutrition. If you are feeding kibble, which is supposed to be complete nutrition, there shouldn't be any need to supplement with anything other than vit c. Why fix it if it's not broken?
          Dina

Comment

The veggie and fruit are as close as we can get to what would be in the stomach of prey should they be in a wild state. It also adds the bulk because RMB by themselves can constipate them.

Comment

I don't want to change his diet. I am happy with the results of the kibble. I actually want to freeze the veggie puree into veggie cubes to give Oliver as treats. I figure it's better than high protein buscuits that might have fillers. And he loves ice cubes, so why not put some veggies or fruit in there to keep him busy? I'm new at this, so I'm just trying to give him the most nutricious diet possible.

Comment

Some veggies to use... carrots, spinach (sparingly,) cucumber, lettuces (all different kinds,) bell pepper, yellow squash, zucunni (sp?,) collard greens (any kind of greens,) potato (sparingly,) tomatoe, kale, broccoli, califlower....

Just go down the isles in the super market <g>

Comment

Working...
                X