Raw fish and ham too

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw fish and ham too

Further to the messages as to whether or not fish is bad for dogs ... A little b4 Easter this year, there was an article in our local paper written by a DVM, which stated NOT to feed dogs ham. I myself didn't read the article; Andy (my "better" half) did. I had meant to read it & keep it but it was thrown out ... Anyway, it supposedly stated that ham could cause a severe reaction in dogs and that each year especially around Easter this DVM had to treat numerous cases of this "ham-poisoning". Have any of you read/heard anything similar? Gus? I had heard about chocolate, onions, various plants, and now fish - but I never read or heard anything further about ham? Thanks - Astrid

RE: Raw fish and ham too

The problem that DVM refered to is probably Pancreatitis due to the pork fat. MOST dogs have a hard time digesting pork if it's not a regular part of their diet. Cooking does kill the trichinosis which can infect the dog as well as humans and extended freezing also kills it. I'm not sure right now how long the freezing time is but I'll check on it. Pancreatitis is (obviously) an inflammation of the pancreas - a digestive and endocrine organ. It produces digestive enzymes, lipase and amylase, as well as insulin. Eating an excess of anything out of the ordinary can cause pancreatitis, some dogs are more susseptible than others. Some dogs have iron guts and others can get in trouble with the slightest change in their diet. This has been called garbage toxicosis from dogs getting into the trash on trash day or the kitchen garbage or getting too many table scraps after any holiday meal. I have found no reference objecting to fish as a part of a dogs diet, as a matter of fact the latest formula used for food allergy dogs is a fish and potatoe diet because these ingredients are never used in commercial diets. We used to use lamb and rice, but all the food manufacterers got on that band wagon because it was supposed to be good for the skin. Well it was, if the dog was innitially allergic to beef or chicken. Now there are as many dogs allergic to lamb as anything else. There is a second major risk to the dog that's susseptible to pancreatitis and that's the fact that each episode causes scarring of the pancreas and destroys a little more of the insulin producing cells. Think about it, if your dog suffers from chronic pancreatitis he may very likely become DIABETIC!!!!!

Comment

I think freezer time is at least two weeks. I keep my raw meat frozen at least that long. So far I have had no problems from feeding raw and I've been doing it over 2 yrs. Dogs are alot healthier

Comment

i'm curious what sort of health problems you saw that made you decide to try a homemade/raw BARF-type diet? TIA

Comment

Pano, HOD. One of my stud dogs bloated and I felt it was from kibble. That was the straw. I switched to BARF. Some hormone problems on females that I assumed was genetic. After 1-1/2 yrs. on BARF they bred normally and had a normal litter. This was on the type female that won't stand for the male and let him breed her. I have also noticed a difference in the temperments on pups whelped from a BARF fed female and weaned on BARF. Laugh if you want, but I don't think there's enough nutrients in kibble to develop their brains normally.

Comment

i'm not laughing, just interested in general in the varying choices people make & have noticed people who go to a BARF diet seem to have had a common set of problems, so just 'curious george' i guess. i figure good for me to know--someone comes to me for advice i might benefit from knowing what has worked with that problem before Esp. if i've never experienced it personally, & in this case i haven't. the line i bought out of hasn't ever had any problems with bloat, pano, HOD, or immune & repro disorders, & are all kibble fed. mine own<G> are marvelously healthy on straight kibble (as were my SAR dogs) & if they were any smarter i'd<G> be in real trouble!LOL! different strokes for different folks. maybe some breeds and some lines just do better on different things--we are all not alike & thank goodness for that! since genetics & physiology works with, not against, the "environment", like what one feeds, etc. it makes sense that different families would have different reactions to everything from vaccines to foodstuffs? thanks for the info/good to know/jpy

Comment

Working...
            X