Food transition question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food transition question

So I adopted a 12 week old that had spent two weeks with a new owner before being returned to the shelter. The shelter was feeding him whatever their food of choice was for all of their animals. We did some research and came across a food called Wholeheartedly grain free salmon and pea blend. The ingredients seemed pretty good, reviews seemed positive as well. I anticipated him to have loose poo since we didn't have the luxury of transitioning the way we would have liked. In this situation, how long would you expect it to be normal that he doesn't have solid poop?

Also, any experience or opinion on the food is appreciated. I know the go to options here, but we sort of adopted on a whim (We have done quite a bit of research so not a "whim" per se) and those weren't realistic at this point.

Lastly, he is about 47lbs right now, maybe a little on the skinny side. Is 6 cups of food per day enough, or should he be eating a lot more than that?

Thank you for the help.

Originally posted by eyerolleddapiece View Post
    So I adopted a 12 week old that had spent two weeks with a new owner before being returned to the shelter. The shelter was feeding him whatever their food of choice was for all of their animals. We did some research and came across a food called Wholeheartedly grain free salmon and pea blend. The ingredients seemed pretty good, reviews seemed positive as well. I anticipated him to have loose poo since we didn't have the luxury of transitioning the way we would have liked. In this situation, how long would you expect it to be normal that he doesn't have solid poop?

Also, any experience or opinion on the food is appreciated. I know the go to options here, but we sort of adopted on a whim (We have done quite a bit of research so not a "whim" per se) and those weren't realistic at this point.

Lastly, he is about 47lbs right now, maybe a little on the skinny side. Is 6 cups of food per day enough, or should he be eating a lot more than that?

Thank you for the help.
    He should be lean.. the last 2-3 ribs should be visible... 6 cups is likely too much.. excess food can cause growth issues and also can cause diarrhea..I would back down on food.. It takes at least 6 -8 weeks for a dogs system to adjust to a new food usually.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by eyerolleddapiece View Post

Thank you for the help.
      Hi, there is a food online and the only one listed by Dog Food Advisor called Wholehearted Salmon & Pea. According to a food chart by Wholehearted, at 12 - 16 wks, 40 - 60 lbs, they suggest 5.75 to 7.75 cups. So the 6 cups you're feeding is in the ballpark. Keep in mind that food charts are only a guide and you should go by body condition as described by Kahlua. What you need to check out is the calcium / phosphorus levels. Calcium should be 1.5 preferably less and phosphorus should be 1 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by martycurt View Post
        Hi, there is a food online and the only one listed by Dog Food Advisor called Wholehearted Salmon & Pea. According to a food chart by Wholehearted, at 12 - 16 wks, 40 - 60 lbs, they suggest 5.75 to 7.75 cups. So the 6 cups you're feeding is in the ballpark. Keep in mind that food charts are only a guide and you should go by body condition as described by Kahlua. What you need to check out is the calcium / phosphorus levels. Calcium should be 1.5 preferably less and phosphorus should be 1 or less.
        P S The cal / phos levels weren't on the website and you may have to contact the co.

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
          He should be lean.. the last 2-3 ribs should be visible... 6 cups is likely too much.. excess food can cause growth issues and also can cause diarrhea..I would back down on food.. It takes at least 6 -8 weeks for a dogs system to adjust to a new food usually.
          Hi, upon rereading your comment, 6 cups does seem like a lot. However from the Wholehearted food chart it isn't. I checked the Fromms food chart for a salmon grain free and it called for about half as much. Possibly the Wholehearted calls for 6 cups because it has excess filler?

Comment

Working...
          X