Feeding questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding questions

We are brand new to giant breeds, although we have had several dogs over the years. My husband finally realized his dream of owning a Great Dane, but I am so confused about feeding! He weighs about 24 pounds and has been eating about 3 1/2 to 4 cups of food a day. What I have been doing is measuring the full amount into his bowl in the morning and letting him nibble on it throughout the day. He usually chooses to eat it in about 4 settings evenly spaced through the day. He does not have free access as he is normally gated into another part of the house with me. Is this a good routine or should I just give it to him certain times of day and why? His stool is a little soft to my eyes, but I think that is the food the breeder had him on and I am going to be switching him as soon as his new food arrives and see if that helps. Also this whole raised feeder vs. non raised is confusing. As a pup is he okay with a bowl on the floor and when do I raise it, if that is what I choose to do? So much to learn. And, oh my gosh, will he be such a water dribbler all his life?!
    sigpic

Count your blessing while you have them- he may slack up in the dribble dept. but that's only because it turns to slobber! I can always tell when one of my boys has been in the kitchen because where ever they smelled...there is a smear of slobber.
    Feeding smaller meals several times a day is fine - awesome that your pup doesn't eat the whole bowl in 1 sitting, mine never had that kind of control.
    What food are you switching him to? When you do start the transition try a dollop of pure pumpkin (plain- not pie filling) it will help limit upset and loose stools.

Comment

I am switching him to wellness for large breed puppies. Seems to get good reviews and be a bit more affordable. I don't like switching foods, but he has been on propac and it seems to be quite high in carbs. I will mentally get the calcium, phosphorous stuff figured out if I have to do more shopping around but hoping this switch will be a good one.

I have been quite relieved that he is not a food guzzler. Being my first Dane everything is a worry until we get it figured out. I am also concerned about over exercising him as I have no idea what that means. One thing at a time. Right now he and my 12 year old Pekingese are wrestling around the kitchen so that ought to drain some energy. I could use a nap!
      sigpic

Comment

Well, the numbers differ slightly depending on who you talk to, but the acceptable ranges I generally see are as follows:

Protein levels 23-26%
        Fat 12%-16%
        Moderate calories per cup 350 - 400
        Calcium - 1.2% - 1.5%

The other thing to watch is proteins/amino acids. It's generally good to have two different types of proteins (meats/eggs/fish) so all amino acid bases are covered.

I feed Earthborn Meadow Feast or Coastal Catch (alternating). It's grain free, which I like, and covers all of those nutrition bases. On top of that, my puppy loves it and has had no loose stool since I started him on it two weeks ago. It's sort of pricey - $50 for a 28 lb bag where I am.

"Over exercising" isn't necessarily something to worry about at the moment. Puppies self-regulate really well, just don't put him on a leash and force him to jog for a mile on concrete or something. Eventually, when bloat becomes a large concern, forced rest 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after meals reduces the chances of GDV.

I'd raise his bowl immediately. No sense in stressing his growing skeletal system by forcing him to eat off of the ground. My 13 week old puppy eats out of the same height feeder that my 140 lb Shep/Malamute does
        sigpic

Comment

Lol... I can totally relate (to needing a nap and the worry) I have 5 grown kids and I don't think I stressed about them half as much as I did/do my Danes. I was constantly questioning their legs and weight. The exercise thing relates more to structured activities, walks/running. Letting him play, run, jump is fine and he should wear himself out before it becomes a concern. In case you didn't notice he grows overnite and that's why they caution limited exercise
          Just a word of caution - not all vets know what they are talking about when it comes to Danes...they think they are the same as every other dog- NOT. Google Google Google - and reach out to the site if in doubt. Also - Paw is a bad trick, cute at this age but not so much when they get over 150lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gustersmom View Post
            I am switching him to wellness for large breed puppies. Seems to get good reviews and be a bit more affordable. I don't like switching foods, but he has been on propac and it seems to be quite high in carbs. I will mentally get the calcium, phosphorous stuff figured out if I have to do more shopping around but hoping this switch will be a good one.

I have been quite relieved that he is not a food guzzler. Being my first Dane everything is a worry until we get it figured out. I am also concerned about over exercising him as I have no idea what that means. One thing at a time. Right now he and my 12 year old Pekingese are wrestling around the kitchen so that ought to drain some energy. I could use a nap!
            Wellness cal/phos is fine. The current thinking seems to be raising the bowls increases the risk of bloat. I personally don't think it's an issue either way. I believe Wellness instructs to transition for 5 to 7 days. I'd go 10 to 14. There's no downside, except for the inconvience. Hiraeth says to wait 30 min. for exercise. I'd personally wait at least an hour.

Comment

We are brand new to giant breeds, although we have had several dogs over the years. My husband finally realized his dream of owning a Great Dane, but I am so confused about feeding! He weighs about 24 pounds and has been eating about 3 1/2 to 4 cups of food a day. What I have been doing is measuring the full amount into his bowl in the morning and letting him nibble on it throughout the day. He usually chooses to eat it in about 4 settings evenly spaced through the day. He does not have free access as he is normally gated into another part of the house with me. Is this a good routine or should I just give it to him certain times of day and why? His stool is a little soft to my eyes, but I think that is the food the breeder had him on and I am going to be switching him as soon as his new food arrives and see if that helps. Also this whole raised feeder vs. non raised is confusing. As a pup is he okay with a bowl on the floor and when do I raise it, if that is what I choose to do? So much to learn. And, oh my gosh, will he be such a water dribbler all his life?!
              I would feed him at certain set times every day, and a set amount per feeding. The routine makes potty training easier, and if something should happen, you'll have a better idea of how much he's eaten during the day. Both of our boys had a few days of upset belly/soft poops when they came home so I added probiotic to the food for a week or so to help get things straightened out. It couldn't hurt either, since you're planning to change foods (but it is better to leave him on what he's used to until he's been at your place at least a month).

I don't feed either of mine raised, but I need to start just for the sake of comfort for my younger (but considerably taller) pup. He's 36+ and looks like a giraffe trying to eat off the floor lol. My other guy is 2.5 and still eats off the floor with no problems. If you do choose to use a raised feeder just make sure it doesn't get too high. I believe the bottom of the chest is about where it needs to sit. I see people feeding giant puppies from a bowl that they have to stretch for and it makes me cringe.
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

We are 4 days into the changeover and it is going well. He has had a few loose stools, so I am going to pick up some pumpkin today and give him a little with each feed. I have been feeding 3 times a day and it is helping with house training. Pretty much only has accidents when I am not paying attention. He is also starting to whine to go out, ! We are settling into a schedule and I no longer feel as much like I have a newborn, but a toddler, with the inherent stubbornness.
                sigpic

Comment

We are 4 days into the changeover and it is going well. He has had a few loose stools, so I am going to pick up some pumpkin today and give him a little with each feed. I have been feeding 3 times a day and it is helping with house training. Pretty much only has accidents when I am not paying attention. He is also starting to whine to go out, ! We are settling into a schedule and I no longer feel as much like I have a newborn, but a toddler, with the inherent stubbornness.
                  Make sure you get plain pumpkin.

Comment

And make sure you get the pumpkin right away! I heard there's a pumpkin shortage this year, and they "might" have enough to get through the holidays. I bought 3 cans!
                    sigpic
                    Chaucey
                    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Changeover is complete as of yesterday. He just had a huge growth spurt, gained 6 pounds in as many days , but I don't know if this new food is totally agreeing with him. He seems more gassy and still having soft stools. But going to give it more time and let him fully adjust before I think about any more changes. Just thought I'd update.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X