Ack!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ack!

Yuuko has been eating TOTW Pacific Stream for almost three weeks (since she came home with us), and she's been doing really well. She had some really soft poop at first (she was on very cheap food at the POS former owner's house), but it firmed up after about a week, and we haven't had any problems.

We've been feeding her 3 cups a day (1 cup three times a day), and she was gaining weight nicely: hipbones no longer visible, spine no longer sticking out, ribs still visible, but not sunken. She's also been growing, and she got really ribby again day before yesterday. So, I decided to up her food...but I don't think I was thinking clearly, and upped it to 1 1/2 cups three times a day.

So, now puppy has some serious diarrhea. She normally doesn't poop in the house, but she can barely make it out of her crate and has to go every hour. We've bumped her back down and actually fed her 2 1/2 cups today.

But I feel like a terrible puppy mommy.

Is there anything I can do to help her body get back to normal? I was thinking of adding some pumpkin, but I'm not sure I want to do that to her GI tract if it's trying to reset. Or should I just wait it out?
    sigpic
    Mommy to:
    Yuuko - GD, home 6/21/12, my furry snuggle beast of DOOM
    Harlee - GD, came into our lives 6/6/13
    And three kitties who still aren't crazy about these big dogs in their house
    RIP, Fruitcake...We love you, sweet kitty

I would decrease the amount of food and add pumpkin to get her back to normal. When increasing the food do it in small increments not a big amount all at once.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Done and done.

My intention was to increase it by 1/2 cup per day, but I told DH to increase her food by 1/2 cup, and forgot to specify to only do that once a day. Totally my fault for failing to think and communicate appropriately.
      sigpic
      Mommy to:
      Yuuko - GD, home 6/21/12, my furry snuggle beast of DOOM
      Harlee - GD, came into our lives 6/6/13
      And three kitties who still aren't crazy about these big dogs in their house
      RIP, Fruitcake...We love you, sweet kitty

Comment

and.. it doesn't take much pumpkin at all.. I was giving Odin too much and then THAT was giving him diarrhea
        Be the change you want to see in the world!

Odin's Adventures

Comment

Cyrano had horrid diarrhea with Pacific Stream. We switched him to High Prairie and he firmed up straight away.
          sigpic
          Valerie
          Mom to 4 human children and...
          12 month old Dane, Cyrano
          1.5 year old Border Terrier Mix, Derby

Comment

Working...
          X