Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 mths - 145 lb - How much should he eat a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 mths - 145 lb - How much should he eat a day?

I think I'm feeding my pup too much. He is staring to have pooping accidents in the house. How much should he eat? The dog food bag doesn't go up high enough, it stops at 120 lb (Iams Large Breed). He is about 1 year old and 145 lbs.

Please reconsider your food of choice. Iams is not a quality food. The bags simply give ranges or starting points. You should judge the amount of food by the dog's body. Feed enough to see the outline of the last rib or two. Even you see less, cut back...more, add a little food. The dog's food will need to be adjusted several times through out his growth stages. So use the body as the ruler.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a great site for understanding the pros and cons of each food. There are much better foods to be had for the same price or even less than that of the Iams. Good luck!
    sigpic
    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Josey View Post
      I think I'm feeding my pup too much. He is staring to have pooping accidents in the house. How much should he eat? The dog food bag doesn't go up high enough, it stops at 120 lb (Iams Large Breed). He is about 1 year old and 145 lbs.
      If the chart on the bag doesn't go up high enough, that's probably a pretty good indication that the food you're feeding is not appropriate for your dog.

If you use the search feature or just peruse the kibble forum you'll find lots of recommendations for foods appropriate for danes. Iams Large Breed is NOT one of them. It is grain inclusive and not very high quality, so most of the protein is coming from grains, which is not good for your GIANT (not large) breed puppy. Labs are large breeds.

As far as whether you're feeding the correct amount, pictures would be very helpful. You should be able to see the last two ribs when your dog is standing - he's still got a lot of growing to do and you don't want him doing it too fast for his long term health. He IS a little outside the limit on the growth chart (see the "height & weight" button at the top of the page?) but that doesn't necessarily mean anything - your pup could just be big.

How much are you currently feeding?
      Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
      Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

I agree with the others about using his body as the best indicator of his feeding needs! Also, when is the last time you have had a fecal done on him?

But, Please, Please reconsider his food! Iams is not the best choice of kibble for any dog! Read the ingredients, second ingredient (depending on which one your feeding) is corn meal! So a large part of what your dog is eating is corn, which is only used as a filler.

Read through some of the old threads on here about food & the choices available.

Also, wanted to add that Ace is 8 mo. and eating about 6 cups (sometimes 7) a day of TOTW and weighs about 130 lbs.
        Last edited by mistified247; 06-30-2011, 02:12 PM.
        sigpic
        Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
        X