soft stools - always

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soft stools - always

Martini is 12 months. She has been on California Naturals since I got her at 8 weeks. Her stools are soft to runny 90% of the time. Other than this problem she is very healthy - grew at a good, slow rate, not too thin, not to fat, beautiful coat, clean bill of health. I tried switching her from CN lamb to CN chicken but that made no difference. If I add pumpkin to her diet it helps, but only as long as I feed the pumpkin.
    Any suggestions?
    Oh, and she poops A LOT - 4 or 5 times a day (she eats twice a day). I must confess one of my reasons for asking is that I feel that I am constantly cleaning up poop, and with it runny, this is a VERY unpleasant and difficult task.

RE: soft stools - always

I think I would try another brand of food - with different ingredients than previous foods if possible.

Comment

Murphy has always had issues with soft poop. Adding acidipholus to his meals has helped greatly.

Molly

Comment

I am sure you have seen this on Health and Welfare, but just in case...it is a discussion about possible causes for loose stool, other than diet.

http://www.danesonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/2887.html

To answer your question directly, I have known a few danes who had runny poop the entire time on CA Nat. and then switched to different kibble and firmed up. I think it is CA Nat's protein/fiber content. While the protein levels (21.78%) are okay for danes, there might not be enough fiber (3.75%) in the food for them to process all the protein.

You might want to try switching to another kibble with a 5% fiber and 21-22% protein. Also watch the fat content, try not to go above 12% if you can.

Every dog is different. There are a lot of testimonials about lots of dog foods (both pro and con), but it ultimately boils down to what each dog can thrive on.

Comment

Have you had your pup tested for whipworms? My Jake had softish stools and it turned out to be whips. I guess they can live in the soil, and the dog for years, even in upstate NY winters where I live.

Comment

What is acidipholus? Where do you get it and how much do you feed?
            Martini is due for a checkup so I'll take in a sample (oh, fun).
            Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I'd suggest having his stools checked out for any parasites.
              Consider barf- want firm stools? - you will get them.
              Kim

Comment

Dogs don't need fiber. It's not part of their natural diet. Their digestive system is much different than humans. There is something in her diet or something in her environment that is not agreeing with her. I would guess it's all the grains in her kibble.

Bill Carnes
                www.skylarzack.com
                www.k9goodbehavior.com

Feeding Raw Since October 2002

My goal in life is to be as wonderful as my dogs think I am.

Comment

What is acidipholus?

Bacteria, that when it is in the digestive track, aids in digestion.

Where do you get it and how much do you feed?

yogurt or in a digestive enzyme, of which there are many on the market. it will contain not only acidipholus, but other helpful bacteria as well. A couple of Tbsp. of yogurt a day should be enough, given with each meal.

Martini is due for a checkup so I'll take in a sample (oh, fun).

Make sure it isn't older than a 6 hours old. The fresher the better!

Comment

Bill and Kim,

While we feed raw and agree that dogs don't necessarily need fiber, not everyone can feed the way we do...for whatever reason.

Martini's mom asked what she could do to help with feeding kibble. I am sure she has read the raw posts (even if only out of curousity) and if she feel's the diet is something she can swing, then she will switch.

Some dogs thrive on kibble <gasp> and not on raw. It is not up to us to become the Raw Police. Not every diet post needs to become a forum for pushing a raw diet. To each their own.

Comment

Hi
                      My 2 dogs used to have soft and runny stools all the time up until I switched them over to Raw food.
                      No more soft stools, they smell less, drink less water (they used to drink SO much water when I was feeding them dry food), they look great and they have so much energy.
                      I am so glad that I made the switch..
                      Kerstin
                      JUSTICE & FIFI

Comment

I already put yogurt in Martini's food, for the yeast and just to had a little tasty treat. I'll have her checked for parasites but it is sounding like it might be the grain. I do put vitamin C on her food, maybe I should back off of that and see if it helps.

I appreciate the tactfully made suggestions regarding feeding raw. I have read about it with interest, but to be perfectly honest I just don't feel I have the time right now to do it right and I would hate to do it wrong. Before anyone jumps on me about taking time for my dog let me just say I am dealing with a 19 year marriage ending, raising 2 teenage girls, trying to write a dissertation, taking care of a mother with Alzheimers, sorting out the estate of my father who died very unexpectedly and needing to find a full time job (I work part-time). I don't mean to whine, just wanted you to know the reasons for my decisions right now. Surely things will settle down, and then I can give raw feeding the time and consideration it deserves. Right now my "dog time" goes to fun at the dog park, obedience, and lots of snuggling.

Thanks again for all the help I get here on line.

Comment

After parasites or other health problems have been ruled out I would suggest trying a different brand of food. California Natural is a great kibble but high in calories and that might be enough to cause digestive upset.

I also do not think you should have to explain why you cannot feed BARF. I--and many other informed, conscientious dog owners--feed kibble and am not ashamed to say so!! Far more harm can be done by feeding an improperly balanced BARF diet than by feeding a crappy kibble. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it!

Laura, Rhu and Floyd
                          Check out Floyd's latest album:http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288665789

Comment

Hi
                            That sounds like a smart decision... to wait with the raw food because...it takes A LOT of time, energy, sweat and patience..at least it did for me the first 2 - 3 months...and I still don't have it down totally...

Good luck
                            Kerstin
                            JUSTICE & FIFI

Comment

>Bill and Kim,
                              >
                              >Some dogs thrive on kibble <gasp> and not on raw.

Thats absolutely a false statement. No dog thrives on kibble. It's a physical imposibility.

>It is not
                              >up to us to become the Raw Police. Not every diet post
                              >needs to become a forum for pushing a raw diet. To each
                              >their own.

Then how will these people ever learn?

Raw Police Sgt Bill Carnes
                              www.skylarzack.com
                              www.k9goodbehavior.com

Feeding Raw Since October 2002

My goal in life is to be as wonderful as my dogs think I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X