X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paul
    started a topic Diet change

Diet change

This is an old post, but I thought it may be a good idea to have it resurface.

http://www.danesonline.com/cgi-bin/d...rum=DCForumID9

Hi all,
    I repeatedly get questions from folks regarding the BARF diet and, quite frankly, the content of the messages are frightening. Folks are asking things like, "I gave my dog a bowl of vegetables and he/she won't touch them. What do I do?" Other peopele want to know if they can continue feeding cooked bones to their dogs (NOT). Still others want to know why their dog is not well after changing to BARF, literally overnight.

If you got your dog from a breeder that BARFs, make sure you have ALL the information from him/her to continue in a safe manner, if this is your intention. If you currently feed a commercial product to your dog, but the BARF diet is something that you are interested in, please do the research about what folks are feeding and in what quantities. Found out the who, where, what, why's of the diet and make a sensible decision once you have the information. There are many BARF groups on the Internet, some of which are Dane-related Join the groups and then make your own decision on what's best for "your" dog. Ask questions if there is something you donít understand.

As far as I know there are no verifiable scientific studies (longitudinal or otherwise) that prove a BARF diet has any specific advantages over a commercial diet (If there have been studies done, please point me to them) This does not say a BARF diet is without merit as there are plenty of testimonials that say it is clearly the better choice.

The point of this post is not to say /nay to any diet, but rather to bring awareness to the fact that a dog's diet is of crucial importance and YOU must be "informed" in order to make a rational and safe choice.

• mdelclark2
    replied
    Anybody tried Fromm's kibble?

I've been using Nutrisource. I originally had my girl on Fromm's but changed it because she was having loose stools. Long story short, trips to the vet reveal she had ghiardia--poor girl! Would like to go back to Fromm. Seems to get good reviews on dog food advisor. Weigh in, please.

Leave a comment:

• mdelclark2
    replied
    what to feed my puppy

My 7-month old fawn has somewhat loose stools. I feed her Canidae large breed puppy food. Honestly, I can't afford feeding raw, so does anybody have ANY suggestions? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• PhatSprinter
    replied
    RE: Diet change

Hello I'm a newbie!! My name is Gregg and I'm from Northern Minnesota. I'm looking for a Great Dane possibly the Summer of 07. I will probably have a lot of questions throughout these next months so hang in there with me. }( How many pounds of food will a dane go through as a puppy/ and then an adult? What will be my monthly cost to own a Dane? I think I have my choice of food picked out. Eagle Pack Super Premium Dog Food Large & Giant Breed Puppy Formula. I'm so excited to get my Great dane, I do not think I can wait any longer lol. How hard will it be for me to train a great dane? My past dog is a Golden Retriever. Thanks again for all your help.

Leave a comment:

• eastwooddanes
    replied

Jonah, you make it very obvious that you only want to cause trouble here when you are responding to post that are a year and a half old and comparing dogs to children. :f

Vaccines, justly credited as the tamers of disease epidemics, are nevertheless the leading killers of dogs and cats in America today."
    Martin Goldstein, D.V.M
    "The best vaccine for disease prevention is proper diet"

http://www.eastwooddanes.com/NovB.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Jonah
    replied

>No problem. I'm pretty thick skinned. 4 or 5 days may be an
    >exaguration. I have never known a dog to refuse raw diet for
    >more than the third day and that is not cruel. Wolves/dogs in
    >the wild will often go that long between meals if they don't
    >find any.
    >
    >Yes, I would have my dogs go that long to teach them the
    >proper way to eat. Would you let your children eat nothing
    >but cake and ice cream?

You wouldn't starve your children for four days til they ate what you wanted them too. Bad example. I'd love to hear what child protection services would have to say about that.

No, you would insist they eat
    >properly or something close to properly. It's the same thing
    >here. You asked how to get your dog to eat properly and I
    >told you.
    >
    >Eating a raw diet is 1,000 times better than the crapinabag
    >poison many people feed their dogs. It's not cruel "forcing"
    >them to eat the diet their body was designed to eat.

That is your opinion.. not fact. If it were, then my dog and millions like him wouldn't be so healthy, happy, and thriving.
    >

Leave a comment:

• ourlittlemoose36
    replied

Just wondering if you could tell me what a BARF diet is ?

Leave a comment:

• maxsmum
    replied

:* How cute are those pics!

Leave a comment:

• maxsmum
    replied

:* How cute are those pics!

Leave a comment:

• alicat613
    replied

Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato is a great food. I usually use the Ultra Premium (aka regular) for our fosters but used this with our last one due to dietary needs. I am thinking of switching to the fish one as my usual. For some of the Danes, the Ultra Premium is too rich. This is the best smelling of the fish formulas by FAR.

Leave a comment:

• Kenzie
    replied

I put warm water on Marleys food because he thinks it is gravy. I think of it like eating cereal without milk....yelch! Still looking for the perfect dog food. OK, no more Walmart stuff but I feel like a sucker in the pet store...they try to sell you everything. Has anyone tried Nature Balance sweet potatoe/fish? Kenzie

Leave a comment:

• MississippiSlim72
    replied

Thanks!
    Sounds like what my parents always fed our dogs when I was growing up

Leave a comment:

• MississippiSlim72
    replied

Thanks!
    Sounds like what my parents always fed our dogs when I was growing up

Leave a comment:

• trainer
    replied

For more info on raw feeding, see my web page at:
    http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Bill Carnes
    www.skylarzack.com
    www.k9goodbehavior.com

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. It was wrong yesterday, it's wrong today, and it will be wrong tomorrow. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way.

Leave a comment:

• trainer
    replied

For more info on raw feeding, see my web page at:
    http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Bill Carnes
    www.skylarzack.com
    www.k9goodbehavior.com

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. It was wrong yesterday, it's wrong today, and it will be wrong tomorrow. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X