This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Diet change

What do you do if your Dane REFUSES to eat raw food? My last Dane would not touch raw meat. First dog I ever saw like this. You could put a steak in her bowl and she would ignore it. If you gave her a raw bone she would simply go bury it and never dig it up. Strange thing is if you microvaved the meat for a few minutes she would devour it....strange.

Comment

What do you do if your Dane REFUSES to eat raw food? My last Dane would not touch raw meat. First dog I ever saw like this. You could put a steak in her bowl and she would ignore it. If you gave her a raw bone she would simply go bury it and never dig it up. Strange thing is if you microvaved the meat for a few minutes she would devour it....strange.

Comment

Sometimes they don't understand what it is or it is just so different from what they are accustomed to that they ignore it. Give your dog a raw meaty bone for dinner. If he doesn't eat it, put it back in the fridge and feed it again next meal. Don't feed anything else. Same thing the next meal and the next if necessary. Usually after a couple of meals, the dogs will love the food. It won't hurt your dog to go 4 or 5 days without eating.

Bill Carnes
        www.skylarzack.com
        www.k9goodbehavior.com

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
        Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. It was wrong yesterday, it's wrong today, and it will be wrong tomorrow. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way.

Comment

Sometimes they don't understand what it is or it is just so different from what they are accustomed to that they ignore it. Give your dog a raw meaty bone for dinner. If he doesn't eat it, put it back in the fridge and feed it again next meal. Don't feed anything else. Same thing the next meal and the next if necessary. Usually after a couple of meals, the dogs will love the food. It won't hurt your dog to go 4 or 5 days without eating.

Bill Carnes
          www.skylarzack.com
          www.k9goodbehavior.com

Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. It was wrong yesterday, it's wrong today, and it will be wrong tomorrow. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way.

Comment

So not allowing an animal to eat for 4 or 5 days if it did not eat what you wanted it to eat would not cause mental, physical or emotional pain? Not trying to be a smart*** just trying to put the post into perspective with other post you have posted... I have owned alot of animals in my lifetime (Dogs, Cats, Horses, Cows, Pigs, Chickens, ferrets, rabbits, turtles, etc.) and I don'think I could imagine making them go without eating 4 to 5 times greater a time than normal without eating just to get them to eat what I want them to if the other they eat is keeping them healthy and happy. Gypsy just simply WOULD NOT eat raw anything (except for butter...don't ever leave the butter dish open!) but microwaved she devoured it.

Comment

So not allowing an animal to eat for 4 or 5 days if it did not eat what you wanted it to eat would not cause mental, physical or emotional pain? Not trying to be a smart*** just trying to put the post into perspective with other post you have posted... I have owned alot of animals in my lifetime (Dogs, Cats, Horses, Cows, Pigs, Chickens, ferrets, rabbits, turtles, etc.) and I don'think I could imagine making them go without eating 4 to 5 times greater a time than normal without eating just to get them to eat what I want them to if the other they eat is keeping them healthy and happy. Gypsy just simply WOULD NOT eat raw anything (except for butter...don't ever leave the butter dish open!) but microwaved she devoured it.

Comment

But, i do not questionyou doing that if it works for you. Other than someone performing cruel acts to an animal, I say each person and animal is different and do not question what has gotten results in your case. I see alot of argument on alot of boards and I am sorry if I just contributed to it.

Comment

But, i do not questionyou doing that if it works for you. Other than someone performing cruel acts to an animal, I say each person and animal is different and do not question what has gotten results in your case. I see alot of argument on alot of boards and I am sorry if I just contributed to it.

Comment

No problem. I'm pretty thick skinned. 4 or 5 days may be an exaguration. I have never known a dog to refuse raw diet for more than the third day and that is not cruel. Wolves/dogs in the wild will often go that long between meals if they don't find any.

Yes, I would have my dogs go that long to teach them the proper way to eat. Would you let your children eat nothing but cake and ice cream? No, you would insist they eat properly or something close to properly. It's the same thing here. You asked how to get your dog to eat properly and I told you.

Eating a raw diet is 1,000 times better than the crapinabag poison many people feed their dogs. It's not cruel "forcing" them to eat the diet their body was designed to eat. Actually I feel its cruel to force them to eat the garbage commercial foods. Once they figure out what it is, you won't have any problems again getting them to eat properly. You will be amazed at how their attitude changes at meal time. They (and you) will really love mealtime.

Bill Carnes
                    www.skylarzack.com
                    www.k9goodbehavior.com

Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Comment

No problem. I'm pretty thick skinned. 4 or 5 days may be an exaguration. I have never known a dog to refuse raw diet for more than the third day and that is not cruel. Wolves/dogs in the wild will often go that long between meals if they don't find any.

Yes, I would have my dogs go that long to teach them the proper way to eat. Would you let your children eat nothing but cake and ice cream? No, you would insist they eat properly or something close to properly. It's the same thing here. You asked how to get your dog to eat properly and I told you.

Eating a raw diet is 1,000 times better than the crapinabag poison many people feed their dogs. It's not cruel "forcing" them to eat the diet their body was designed to eat. Actually I feel its cruel to force them to eat the garbage commercial foods. Once they figure out what it is, you won't have any problems again getting them to eat properly. You will be amazed at how their attitude changes at meal time. They (and you) will really love mealtime.

Bill Carnes
                      www.skylarzack.com
                      www.k9goodbehavior.com

Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Comment

I appreciate the reply! Although sadly, I no longer have Gypsy (explained in another post) I would like to incorporate raw foods in my next danes diet. If not totally then at least a good portion of it. I grew up on a farm so that method of feeding seems kinda natural to me. (I remember when you were looked down on for not feeding kibble!) All my life we fed scraps, raw bones, etc. Though not as strict as the BARF diet, our dogs always were healthy and happy. My first experience with a dog not eating raw food was Gypsy...It really seemed strange to me but I have to admit I gave up rather easily and would cook her meat a little.... I did have the experience of her turning her nose up at her kibble when I changed brands to a better brand once but after she stared at it a couple of meal times her belly got the best of her (that and the gravy poured on top!) Actually, these strange habits Gypsy had (like crawling under the coffee table just beefore a thunderstorm (she was our barometer) made her endearing as there was always something to make us go "Never seen a dog do THAT!" Before I get a new dane (from a rescue I would love to get more info on the raw food diets.

Comment

I appreciate the reply! Although sadly, I no longer have Gypsy (explained in another post) I would like to incorporate raw foods in my next danes diet. If not totally then at least a good portion of it. I grew up on a farm so that method of feeding seems kinda natural to me. (I remember when you were looked down on for not feeding kibble!) All my life we fed scraps, raw bones, etc. Though not as strict as the BARF diet, our dogs always were healthy and happy. My first experience with a dog not eating raw food was Gypsy...It really seemed strange to me but I have to admit I gave up rather easily and would cook her meat a little.... I did have the experience of her turning her nose up at her kibble when I changed brands to a better brand once but after she stared at it a couple of meal times her belly got the best of her (that and the gravy poured on top!) Actually, these strange habits Gypsy had (like crawling under the coffee table just beefore a thunderstorm (she was our barometer) made her endearing as there was always something to make us go "Never seen a dog do THAT!" Before I get a new dane (from a rescue I would love to get more info on the raw food diets.

Comment

For more info on raw feeding, see my web page at:
                            http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Bill Carnes
                            www.skylarzack.com
                            www.k9goodbehavior.com

Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Comment

For more info on raw feeding, see my web page at:
                              http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Bill Carnes
                              www.skylarzack.com
                              www.k9goodbehavior.com

Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Comment

Thanks!
                                Sounds like what my parents always fed our dogs when I was growing up

Comment

Working...
                                X