This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Diet change

I agree with you on the Billinghurst's books. He says something different in each one concerning supplementing with vitamin A. I had a heck of a time figuring out how much to use or whether to use it at all. Probably if you give enough liver a week they don't need any extra but I do throw in a capsule once a week or so just to be sure.

Comment

Isn't vitamin A one of those that you can OD on? I would be careful supplementing it. There is plenty in liver if they only get a very little each week or every couple of weeks.

Bill Carnes
      www.skylarzack.com
      www.k9goodbehavior.com

Feeding Raw Since October 2002

My goal in life is to be as wonderful as my dogs think I am.

Comment

I have studied vitamin A quite alot. You would have to give an awful lot of it to make it toxic to a dog. In fact, most dogs don't receive enough of it. I think kibble fed dogs must be very lacking in it. I probably give 10,000 units once a week as long as I am feeding liver twice a week.

Comment

>This is an old post, but I thought it may be a good idea to
          >have it resurface.
          >
          >http://www.danesonline.com/cgi-bin/d...rum=DCForumID9
          >
          >
          >Hi all,
          >I repeatedly get questions from folks regarding the BARF
          >diet and, quite frankly, the content of the messages are
          >frightening. Folks are asking things like, "I gave my dog a
          >bowl of vegetables and he/she won't touch them. What do I
          >do?" Other peopele want to know if they can continue feeding
          >cooked bones to their dogs (NOT). Still others want to know
          >why their dog is not well after changing to BARF, literally
          >overnight.
          >
          >If you got your dog from a breeder that BARFs, make sure you
          >have ALL the information from him/her to continue in a safe
          >manner, if this is your intention. If you currently feed a
          >commercial product to your dog, but the BARF diet is
          >something that you are interested in, please do the research
          >about what folks are feeding and in what quantities. Found
          >out the who, where, what, why's of the diet and make a
          >sensible decision once you have the information. There are
          >many BARF groups on the Internet, some of which are
          >Dane-related Join the groups and then make your own
          >decision on what's best for "your" dog. Ask questions if
          >there is something you don’t understand.
          >
          >As far as I know there are no verifiable scientific studies
          >(longitudinal or otherwise) that prove a BARF diet has any
          >specific advantages over a commercial diet (If there have
          >been studies done, please point me to them) This does not
          >say a BARF diet is without merit as there are plenty of
          >testimonials that say it is clearly the better choice.
          >
          >The point of this post is not to say /nay to any diet,
          >but rather to bring awareness to the fact that a dog's diet
          >is of crucial importance and YOU must be "informed" in order
          >to make a rational and safe choice.

Comment

I'm sorry. I'm having technical difficulty. Please let me know what you think about feeding Flint River?

Thanks,
            Cathie

Comment

I have been feeding the Bard diet since we have gotten our dane in september of 2003. It is not always easy to balance everything out and lots of research is required, as well as planning and checking in with the breader.

I swear by the Barf diet as it is a all natural diet and the quality of the meat I serve is human consumption quality. Not all people who give Barf to their dogs are doing it right as well as those who are giving kibble are not always giving the best quality. I think any feeding method is questionable if not done properly and will jeopardize the health of your animal.

I have now found a breeder who sells barf and is perfectly balanced and all vitamins, fruits, veggies variety of meats are included and are sold by squares of 1/2 pound so can't really go wrong and all indredients are indicated. I live in the south shore of Montreal, Canada and feel I am reall lucky to have found this woman.

Please be careful with any diet as when not done well can do severe damage do your pet.

Lynn and Puce

Comment

Have been reading posted diet info. We have 18 mnth old female fawn and have been feeding according to Linda Arndt's Blackwatch Feeding system. She seems to be doing great. Is anyone else familiar with this system based on Eagle Pack? Lea.

Comment

I was reading about the diet the other day and really liked what L.A. had to say, and I agree with "most" of what she had to say. I am not sure that I am all that "sold" on Eagle, but it sounded like a logical diet.

I did not realize that there was a coating on kibble that had good stuff in it. Does anyone else know anything about that?

Chris

Comment

I personally feed barf to my dogs. The cat isn't so easy to the change, he won't even attempt to touch the stuff no matter what I try to put in front of him. Of course, though, he's a cat, anything that requires any kind of effort he isn't going to do.

Anyway I have been feeding barf for about a year now and I have been just sticking with what works, and of course what they like. I have a very picky dog that won't eat whole organ meat to save her life. If anyone else has this problem there is a trick. Find yourself a good butcher and do a 50/50 mix of ground meat and organ meat and have them grind it together (works every time). I don't feed a lot of veggies well, because I have never seen a wolf pick up a carrot and start chowing down... I only give them some maybe 3 times a week, they are pureed and it's not a lot. I don't use enzymes much either. About the only thing that I do is once and a while give them a little yogurt, but it isn't with the meal. (PS this helps that foamy drool too) And that is about the only reason that they will get it. If meat didn't have natural enzymes already in it that broke it down it wouldn't rot. Believe me the chemicals are there and they know how to use them. I give Zeke everything from whole chicken fryers, ox tails, leg quarters, necks and backs of just about everything, hearts, liver, you name it he eats it. It makes the diet a lot easier. My other one is picky though, you have to remove every trace of fat from everything and she won't eat anything harder then a neck or back bone whole. Then I give them garlic, and lots of it. I puree it in an egg, with the shell, and mix it in with a little ground meat (it get's potent). It's great at keeping fleas, ticks and mosquitoes off of them. (apparently they think that they smell or something)

I will also throw in a vitamin and some olive or flax seed oil, just to make sure that the dane is getting plenty of omegas.

I tell you what though, the first time that you put your dane outside and throw and entire chicken at them, they seem to have a whole new love for you, and I don't think that my dogs have ever been happier.

Zeke's Mom, Samantha

Comment

I would be intrested in learning more about the diet from petdiet.com. I am a new Dan owner and am still researching everything I can ro make the best informed decisions that I can for Duke to be as healthy as possible.

Comment

>I feed my dogs kibble in the morning. I do mix water with
                        >Jersey's food b/c that is the way his previous owner was
                        >doing it. She explained to me that b/c danes are so big,
                        >their digestive system works much like a horse's does.

A dane's digestive system is NOTHING like a horses. Not even close. A horse is a herbivore and a dog is a carnivore. They both have diametrically opposed digestive systems.

>The
                        >water causes the food to "sweal" BEFORE it goes down, so
                        >bloat does not set in.

No one knows what causes bloat so no one can say with any certainty that "swealling" kibble before eating will have any effect at all.

>The more
                        >filler, the more it sweals.

ALL kibble has no moisture at all and will swell pretty much the same. It is all pretty much 50% to 60% useless grain anyway.

>In the evening I feed kibble mixed with raw veggies (or if I
                        >steam some for dinner, I steam some for them),

What do you hope to get from the veggies? Dogs are carnivores, they cannot digest veggies at all. They get no nutrients from them.

>a little raw
                        >meat (again if I have left-over roast or burgers ...

90% of their meals should be raw meat. BTW: how are left over roast or burgers considered raw meat?

>I do not feed
                        >them left over starches b/c they are all fat enuf!

Thats ONE thing you do right.

Bill Carnes
                        www.skylarzack.com
                        www.k9goodbehavior.com

Feeding Raw Since October 2002

My goal in life is to be as wonderful as my dogs think I am.

Comment

problem with my great dane

can some one help me please
                          my baby is 13 weeks and his front legs near his ankels all ways play up need a reply asap thank u

Comment

RE: problem with my great dane

You may get more of a response if you post your question in it's on thread in the Health and Welfare Forum here:

http://www.danesonline.com/cgi-bin/d...rum=DCForumID8
                            sigpic
                            In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                            Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Yes. I feed it to my girl, and I spend a decent amount of time with Linda, Phil, and Jane... To be honest, as simple as the blackwatch diet is, as good of success as I see it having, and as well-researched as it was (www.greatdanelady.com), I'm not sure why I would go through the complexity of switching to BARF. My girl is beautiful, and I know Phil and Jane's Danes do quite well on it.

One thing to consider on switching diets is "why" you are switching diet. If your dog is healthy and happy, don't try to make a good thing better by switching diets. You're most likely not going to make your dog any healthier or happier. You're more likely to just cause your dog and yourself a bit of extra stress.

And, when you get into a ring, it's not going to make a world of difference.

Comment

I have to respond to the post that a Danes digestive system resembles a horses digestive system.

Being a horse owner for many years and working with all types of animals, this is certainly not the case. I don't know where you got your information, but it is not accurtate. First of all, a horse is not able to vomit like a dog. I don't know if you know this. Horses can also colic, which can be caused by many factors. Food tends to somewhat swell in any stomach if it is not digested properly and cause many problems. Too many to mention. A horse will pass their food quickly, like a dog or any animal does.

I just wanted to make it clear that you should not compare a dane and a horse digestive system because they are completely different. That is almost like comparing a horse and cow digestive system, again, two totally different systems. I don't mean to sound harsh, I just don't want you to have incorrect information.

Comment

Working...
                                X