Dane diets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dane diets

Hi everyone, I am in the process of getting my first Dane and I have a couple of questions. Is there a good commercial dog food for Danes or is the BARF diet the best. And percentage of Danes develope bloat and what can I do to prevent this are vitamins and supplemnts neccessary?:7

RE: Dane diets

Check out Linda Arndt's website www.greatdanelady.com and then read the Diet Forum. There are many differing opinions. You'll have to figure out what works best for you and your dane.

Bloat can happen to any dane. There are also many varying opinions on that subject too. I try and follow Linda's advice on what to feed a dane and the supplements to give. I also raise his bowl's (using 21" wrought iron plants stands). I have a picture in my album of what they look like. I also add water to his food (Chicken Soup) which he thinks is wonderful. He will pick at anything without water added.

Good luck and post pics when you bring your new little bundle home! They will grow so fast in the first few months it's amazing!

~ Dina & Cooper

Here's the "little" guy! http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290313725

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." - Unknown

Comment

Thanks Dina,

I have read a lot in the last couple of days and it looks like chicken soup and Innova are two of the better commercial foods for danes. I also talked to a vet and he gave me a lot of input. He said that as long as your dog is eating a good quality food meat based with few fillers they don't need a supplement, He said that a lot of owners even create problems in their Danes by giving them to much calcium.

The mother of one of the pups I am getting is due in November, so I have a little time to better educate myself.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Welcome!

I recommend you pick up The Great Dane: Model of Nobility by author Jill Swedlow. It's a must for a new dane owner.

She makes mention of a tonic, 1/2 honey, 1/2 apple cider vinegar. It's supposed to be great for growing danes, along with 500-1000 mg vitamin C per day, depending on weight.

We feed Emma Innova and she is doing well on it. Congrats on the new pup~ very exciting time! :+

Comment

NEVER give your dane calcium. When you read Linda Arndt's site and Jill Swedlow's book you'll have a better understanding of the breed and their health related issues.

Also this site is a huge wealth of information. You will be better prepared if you have a month to research. Good luck!

~ Dina & Cooper

Here's the "little" guy! http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290313725

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
          - Unknown

Comment

Working...
          X