How Much Pumpkin??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Pumpkin??

Ok got the pumpkin as suggested for the diarreah. How much do I give them and how often. One is 60lbs the others is 120lbs
    I am back to the world of Danes-let's get the ride started!!
    RIP my Thunder boy, you will always have my heart!!

RE: How Much Pumpkin??

1-2 tablespoons, don't want to give too much or it gives diarrea, and you don't need that!

Gunner's Mom (Janet)

To see my boy ...
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290114239

Comment

Got it thanks-- sent you a PM for the other

Comment

If it's real runny diarrhea I make a sandwich of two slices if bread and a half a can of pumkin (not the pie filling)I't works great and I only have to give it to them once. And with it being a sandwich they think their getting a GREAT treat.

Teresa and my special Danes

Comment

How long does this usually take to work? Gave them a dose-- should I give another in the AM-- still have it bad.:'(

Comment

Maybe you need to take a stool sample in to your vet and make sure everything is ok.The only time I had a problem that the pumkin didn't fix Einstein had coccidiosis(he had ate some cat poop)and contracted the parasite.

Teresa and my special Danes

Comment

It started with the RAW feeding-- I really think that is the problem

Comment

How are you starting them off on raw? The switch can be stressful on the tummy. It may take a few days or even a week or more for their stomachs to adjust. I'd supplement the pumpkin at each meal for a few days or until you see some firming of stools.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend getting a probiotic with acidophilus to replace the "good" bacteria thats been flushed out with the diarrhea. Loss of intestinal flora will just exacerbate and continue the cycle of intestinal irritation.

A full spectrum digestive enzyme is also a good idea to help the dogs with breaking down the novel protein sources. Often, kibble fed dogs don't produce, or at least not at high enough levels, all the enzymes needed for digestion of whole foods so its a good idea to supplement them for the first few weeks (or months depending on the dog).

You may also want to pick up some L-glutamine. Its an amino acid that helps in healing the lining of the digestive tract, which is often inflamed and irritated in situations where diarrhea is present.

All of these are available at most health food stores. The probiotic is generally in the refrigerated section.

Regards,
                Heather, Oni & Loki
                [link:www.apdt.com|Association of Pet Dog Trainers]
                [link:hastur.cc/gallery|Photo Gallery]
                "Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

Working...
                X