ornery pup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ornery pup

My 13 wk old male is very single minded when it comes to food. He's a good eater. He also growls when disturbed while eating so I don't bother him and have told my wife and girls to do the same. This morning when I tried to take a chew bone away from him he growled and snapped at me. I immediately firmly held him down and took away the bone. He is otherwise good natured with a calm temperament. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the best way to handle this.

RE: ornery pup

Hi,

I appreciate you reposting your question...

Paul

Comment

I spoil my dogs rotten but when it comes to snapping, growling etc. I believe in a rolled up magazine to the dogs shoulder. I have never hit either of my dogs to date although Titan chewed several thousand dollars worth of furniture and a deck and dug holes all over my yard (we got through it all with out physical punishment. Both Tia and Ti were rescues and came with problems). However, in the case of growling and guarding food I smack the dog for his own sake -- if it gets out of hand you'll have to put him to sleep. Or better still I would only feed him on a leash and give him a sharp tug when he growls. I'd set him up to growl not leave him alone and correct him every time. I am not an expert but it is likely that you've missed other sign of aggression (I did with Titan and JPY and Carol had to help us out a lot). Even now I have a problem with Tia guarding my baby that I am workign though. I hope it works out and I urge you to stop it now!

Heather

Comment

Sorry about the alert

I'm sorry about the alert I thought it would alert me if the person with the snapping puppy responded and I want to know how things worked out! I feel really stupid!

Comment

Sounds like the pup thinks that what you give him is "his food" so you have to teach him that it's not really just "his". Good breeders and trainers will tell you to put your hands in their bowl so that they don't become possesive of food, but it sounds like you're beyond this. For stubborn pups my teacher at obedience believes in "training meals". That means all food comes from you. If the pup does something good, you feed him by hand. If he growls or barks, you don't feed him. Maybe some people who have had rescues will have some more ideas for you. Good luck to you. I hope you nip this in the bud early!

Comment

RE: ornery pup - Exercises to Correct this

This sounds like the beginning of a dominance problem that you should correct ASAP. Leaving the puppy alone when he growls is not the solution because you are reaffirming the behavior. Here are two things that worked for my mantle female as a pup: As dogs are pack animals, you need to teach your pup that you (as in you, your wife & child) are alpha (head of the pack).
            1) Sit for food exercise. Teach your pup that you are the boss and that he can only eat when you "say so". Get the food bowl ready and teach the pup to sit. Once he sits, put the bowl down and say "okay". Do not put the bowl down until he sits. If he gets up when you put the bowl down, pick it up and put him in the sit position again. He should not eat until the "okay" is given. Each time you feed, go through the same routine but make the pup sit a few more seconds each time after placing the bowl down before you say "okay". Do not scold him if he doesn't sit or if he goes for the bowl before "okay". He will learn what is expected after a few times by you taking up the bowl and placing him in the sit position again. Praise him once he does it correctly.
            2) Do some handling exercises. Play the pup on his back on the floor or in your lap (if he's not too big) and make him stay that way - even if he struggles (He needs to learn he cannot get up until the pack leader allows him to.) Once he's calm, begin stroking his feet, legs, belly, tail, head, muzzle, etc. Do not talk to him during this time. Put your hand in his mouth, feel his teeth, move his lips, tongue and do not let him play bite or clamp down on your hand. Do this every day for at least 10 minutes, working up to 30 minute sessions. Once he realizes what is expected, you will probably find him relaxing and maybe even falling asleep while you do this.

You did the right thing by taking the bone away after he growled. After you've taught the above two exercises to your pup, begin touching him periodically when he eats and correct him if he growls by telling him "no" sternly and taking the food away. Have him do the "sit for food" exercise again and replace the food. Also, do the same thing when you are giving him treats like the bone. Get him used to the fact that you will take something away from him and then give it back.

Get your whole family involved in the two exercises once the pup is confident in what is expected.

These really work and work well if done consistently & for a long period of time. My mantle female is now a 20 month old well adjusted pussycat that lets the sheltie pup take things out of her mouth. I still make all my dogs, including our two danes, sit for food even at ages 20 & 18 months. As far as putting them on their back -- they do that willingly but we are always aware that they need to know that my husband and I are alpha. Good luck...

Comment

Hi GEC,
              I do believe your pup is still young enough to correct this problem but you need to start today. (For all others)it is NEVER OK for your puppy to be protective of his food, toys, crate, etc. It starts with only one area but if left uncorrected will lead to other areas as in the case with GEC. This is a dominance issue (he feels he owns his food)and challenges you or anybody else that tries to take what is HIS. You need to teach him GEC that nothing is his, its all yours, your wifes and your childrens.
              First and formost enroll in a puppy class, that will help with socialization and basic obedience.
              There are a few things you need to do right now before I would mess with his food. He needs to totally understand you are boss. First put him down on his back or side and hold him down until he quits struggling, let him up, tell him "good boy" and go on to whatever you were doing. Teach him how to sit, down and stay. Pet him over his entire body, nothing belongs to this pup, not even himself. Do NOT rough house with this boy, play tug of war or any dominating games. Throw a ball or something like that, if he runs off with the ball, let him, dont chase him. He will soon learn if he wants you to keep playing he has to bring you the ball.
              Within the next couple days, get him to sit while you are preparing his food, once the food is prepared, give him a small amount in his bowl, set it down and dont let him get up from his sit until you tell him so. Let him go over and eat the small amount in his bowl, he will come back to you looking for more, take the rest of the food and feed him by hand (by handfuls). Do this for a few days. After he masters this, next do the same procedure (fix his food, while he waits) set it down (the entire amount), release him and let him start to eat. I would be standing there when he starts, after a few bites I would bend down and pet him, if he growls take him away from the food put him in a submission position (on his back) and not release him till hes quiet. Than release him to eat and pet him again, if he growls again I would discipline him again in the same way. Once he stops the growling when you pet him, put your hand in his bowl. He should be afraid enough to quit eating turn his head away, and go back to eating once you take your hand away, if he continues to eat thats OK as long as he doesnt make ANY noise, raise his hackles or snarl his lips. If he does any of these take him away from his food and discipline him. If he were my puppy he would die of starvation before he would eat another meal with that kind of attitude. It sounds harsh but that kind of behavior will only escalate to other things. And a bite from a 6 month old possessive dane will scar a human for life. Also set up an appointment with your vet and have him nuetered soon, this will help the situation too.

Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes
              Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
              sigpic

Comment

To Lace and the girls

Funny we must have been writing our answers at the same time!!! Very similar responses!!!
                Carolyn
                Divine Acres Great Danes
                Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                sigpic

Comment

My first reaction if I personally had a 13 week old puppy who was already exhibiting such dominant aggressive behaviors would be to return him to the breeder or PTS myself. Pet owners should expect more from their breeders. We should not have to tolerate this sort of temperment in our breed! Working through this will be a long hard process that IMHO no pet owner should have to go through. If you do decide to keep him, Carolyn and Lace have given some wonderful suggestions.
                  Dina

Comment

I think Dina's suggestion is best of all---call your breeder and have them deal with the problem. They bred him, they should deal with it, and demand a different pup. And in the future work with the pup from the day you bring him home, feed him in a central location, give and take food from his bowl at least a couple times a week and give and take toys---let him know his place in your family.

Comment

Working...
                    X