No announcement yet.

Taste Of the Wild??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It smelled good to me and not as grainy as the EP and it also tasted better. I tried it.
    Glad your dog liked it. My picky eaters were the same way (we used Eagle Pack and then Canidae before I went grain free and I thought they really liked those foods until we switched)...they love TOTW more than any other food they'd ever eaten and we've been feeding it for well over two years and they still dig in every day like it's the greatest thing ever. It does smell much better than most of the foods I've had around here, even better than my lab's EVO. I have to admit I didn't taste it though...I'm not much of a "gamey" meat eater so I can't get past the bison & venison in there :-)

Comment

Faust: We need to call you the "Dane encyclopedia", I swear where do you get all that info? As for the TOTW food; lincoln and Maggie went right to it. Lincoln is doing great on it; Maggie got a bout of diarrhea on sat I think it was from all the excitement, going for a drive seeing new people etc, she is more fragile than lincoln; she was in worse shape when we got her so that could be part of it, but she is starting to firm up. I like the food so far if this week goes well I will be contacting TOTW to see about becoming a distributer since no one has it here and the closest place is 80 miles away. Any thoughts?

Comment

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com...t_us/?Retailer

I think to become a retailer you would have to set up a small business unless you already have a business that you could partition a part of it into becoming a small "specialty dog shop." I am not sure if you would actually have to have a physical location/storefront tho. I would imagine if you knew enough people in town that would be interesting you could do quite well. It does not sound like you already have a small specialty store in your area and there are crazy pet people like us everywhere.
        sigpic

Comment

Again thanks Faust. I filled out the questionaire we will see.I run a manufacturing company and have another buisness on the side so we will see. I don't know of too many "freaks" around here but we will see.

Comment

Here is the information that I received by the inquiry to Diamond. It is what I was previously thought, but I figured it may help alleviate some concerns people may have.

The preservation systems used by our vendors are all legal, but are considered by them to be proprietary information. However, we know that the heat from our pet food process destroys whatever antioxidants are used in the ingredients that we purchase. After the heat process (extrusion and drying), we apply natural tocopherols (Vitamin E) in order to carry the shelf life of the food. The cooking process at our facilities is at or above 240 degrees. Ethoxyquin in the ingredients is destroyed due to its lack of heat stability. Diamond does not preserve any of its products with ethoxyquin, only with mixed tocopherols.

Secondly, there is a law that requires fish meal to be preserved with ethoxyquin. The following is a link to that law:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/fishmeal.html

Some general comments about ethoxyquin:

Although we do not use it, when it is used as an anti-oxidant (to prevent rancidity), as soon as it is added, it begins to oxidize ("to be used up"). Heat and moisture greatly expedite the oxidation. Pet food manufacturing processes typically utilize heat and moisture. The use of ethoxyquin is approved as an anti-oxidant in pet foods and the levels are specified. This information is available on the FDA site.
            sigpic

Comment

Was wondering if anyone knows a store in Houston (northwest area) that sells ToTW other than D&D Supply at Tomball?

Thank you...
              - Victoria -
              Proud mother of Jethro (born 03/11/2009)
              sigpic

Comment

I sadly am in Austin and am not familiar with Houston at all. This is the information I could find for you. it looks like Jensen is the closest provider to Northern Houston.

Wabash Antiques & Feed
                5701 Washington
                Houston, Texas 77007
                Phone: 713-863-8322

Jensen Drive Feed Store
                9740 Jensen Drive
                Houston, Texas 77093-6302
                Phone: 713-691-0671

D & D Feed Store
                2908 Manvel Road
                Pearland, Texas 77584
                Phone: 281-485-6645
                sigpic

Comment

Given all of the posts regarding ethoxyquin in this thread I figured I would post an update. As of June 2010, TOTW is completely ethoxyquin-free. The fish meal from the suppliers is now being preserved with Vitamin E rather than ethoxyquin.

I confirmed this with Diamond directly. All bags marked with an expiration date of at least June 2011 do not contain fish meal preserved with ethoxyquin during the shipping process.

Comment

[QUOTE=Duke-Duchess;577371]Given all of the posts regarding ethoxyquin in this thread I figured I would post an update. As of June 2010, TOTW is completely ethoxyquin-free. The fish meal from the suppliers is now being preserved with Vitamin E rather than ethoxyquin.

This is great news. I feed my Dane TOTW Pacific Stream and he does well on it. The ethoxyquin has been a concern of mine, so now it will not be an issue.

Comment

Hey guys! I know this is a super old post. That is kinda why I am replying here.

I have been feeding Taste of the Wild high prairie to my two other dogs. We love it for them. I would like to switch my new to me great dane to it also. He is just over a year.

I'd like to know how it is going for the rest of you guys?

Are you still using it?

Comment

At this time I would proceed with caution if feeding it while research is going on in regards to food ingredients possibly causing issues.
                        sigpic
                        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                        Associate Member GDCNE
                        Member GSPCA
                        Member NAVHDA
                        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I am sorry to say we have lost both our Great Danes this past summer, two months apart. We have been feeding grain free to both dogs since they were little for years. First natural balance then changed them to taste of the wild.

I thought we were doing the right thing until this year, our girl started having really fast heart beats, breathing trouble and was loosing her balance. The vet tried to slow the heart with medication but the fast heart beat was keeping her alive. Her heart was enlarged and her oxygen levels were low.

Our boy had a cancerous tumor removed from his mouth just weeks before we lost our girl. We new we had maybe a few months before the cancer would come back, little did we know the cancer wasn’t what got him in the end. He started having breathing trouble and a fast heart beat just like our girl. We took him to the vet to find our his heart was doing the exact same thing as our girl.

They both were six months apart in age. They both made it past their 8th birthday. They both had different blood lines. They both ate the same diet of grain free. And they both died two months apart with the same heart condition.

i just want to tell anyone I can help. Please be aware that grain free may not be the best way to go. Even with research some things are unknown, even to these dog food companies.

Comment

Danes are prone to heart issues and also to certain types of cancers.. This is especially true if they come from untested parents/lines or have a family history. It also that regardless of diet being fed these things can and do happen..
                            sigpic
                            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                            Associate Member GDCNE
                            Member GSPCA
                            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Yes I know this information. It is just odd that this would happen to both of our Great Danes that have been fed the exact same diet, to pass from the same illness, within two months of each other. Coincidence? I don’t know, but with all of my future Danes, I’m choosing to error on the side of caution. And until these dog food companies figure out their studies being done, my new puppy at home will not be a part of this experiment.

Comment

Also it isn't the food companies themselves that are doing the research... A dog fed any diet can die from that same issue...I could as well as could other people file complaints against Purina for the same exact issue.. (or any other company) as well as all the numerous cancers, kidney issues etc... feeding processed food of any kind is not healthy for pets or people... it is bound to have serious effects sooner or later. I won't feed any food that has a higher plant content then it does meat sources..
                                sigpic
                                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                                Associate Member GDCNE
                                Member GSPCA
                                Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
                                X