Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daphne Won't Eat Her Dog Food

Hi,

I have had my 2 year old Dane Daphne on Fromm Large Breed dog food for about 1.5 years. She would always eat it no problem but in the last few months she just doesn't want to. I don't know if the formula has changed or what has happened. To get her to eat it, I had to introduce some 'toppers' (cooked eggs, dog treats, chicken breast, beef, coconut oil, etc.) and now she will eat the toppers and about half of her kibble. Without toppers, she won't eat. I think I need to switch her to a different brand of food but have always had problems settling on a new one. She loved CSFTS but I can't get that in Canada anymore. I know to look for meat sources in the top 6 ingredients but I kindly ask for some name brand suggestions. Thank-you!

She may need a decrease in the amount fed. She is at an age where many start eating less... If you want to do a switch try switching ot other formulas of the same brand.. it doesn't need to be large/giant breed.. it just needs to be a good quality food. Also since your Dane is an adult you don't need to watch calcium/phoshorous levels any more.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      She may need a decrease in the amount fed. She is at an age where many start eating less... If you want to do a switch try switching ot other formulas of the same brand.. it doesn't need to be large/giant breed.. it just needs to be a good quality food. Also since your Dane is an adult you don't need to watch calcium/phoshorous levels any more.
      Hi, thank-you for the advice. I attempted a slow switch to Fromm salmon but she won't eat that either. I can't find a food here in Canada that I feel good about feeding her. She LOVED Chicken Soup For the Soul but I can't get that anymore. I was ready to change her to Acana, but that has steel-cut oats as the second ingredient. I am at a total loss for dog food - so many kinds but I don't like the ingredients in most of them - maybe I am just being too fussy.

Comment

Unless you want to stick with salmon maybe try another flavor of Fromm. Mine’s been on the Fromm Beef Fritatta & the Pork & Peas for about 6 years.

Comment

I experience the same scenario with Cash. He will be 2 in January. I’ve learned he can picky at times. He loves the Fromme Lamb and Lentil. On mornings when he doesn’t want to eat, I pick his bowls up (I use slow feeder bowls) and I put the food away. By dinner time, he is ready to eat.

I use my instant pot to cook sweet potatoes, lentils, carrots and I will give those as toppers on occasion. I’ve also noticed if he isn’t eating I may wait longer to feed him. Maybe an hour longer because sometimes he’s just not hungry. I have 4 dogs, I’ll let them play a bit longer and work up an appetite.

Ive read Great Danes have sensitive stomachs so if he is going more than a day without eating, I’ll get Raw Goat’s milk and give him a little. It is for pets only, it comes in a blue and green milk carton and is frozen. Canned pumpkin with pumpkin as the only ingredient listed is also good when he has an upset or sour stomach.

Comment

Working...
          X