Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't buy Chicken Soup For The Soul anymore...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't buy Chicken Soup For The Soul anymore...

Hi,

I just switched my Daphne to Chicken Soup For The Soul Large Breed Adult food. I bought 2 bags and she has finished 1 bag and is now half done the other bag - she loves it!. I went to buy more food today and discovered that the retailers here in Calgary, Alberta no longer carry it!

I hate the thought of switching her food again, but I have no choice. Can anybody recommend a good food for her? I had researched until I was blue when I switched her to CSFTS and found that it was about the only one whose ingredients I liked. I am sure other brands are good, I would just like to know what brands people on this forum feed their dogs.

I researched Orijen, Acana, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Wellness Core, NutriSource, the list goes on and on and on.

Thank-you.

Last edited by DaphneDoo; 08-14-2019, 02:18 PM.

Chicken Soup is usually readily available online. You should be able to get it without any problem that way.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Chewy sells Chicken Soup Classic. Not sure if that's the one you were using. https://www.chewy.com/s?query=chicke...A332%2Cc%3A294
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I can get CSFTS, only Adult, not Adult Large Breed but the stores that sell it got notified in July that their parent company will no longer distribute it when supplies run out.
        I could switch her to that and stock up a few bags, but shouldn't I stay with large breed kibble? Also, the recipe for Adult is different than Adult Large Breed.
        I can order it online but shipping it to Canada doubled the cost of the food.

Comment

There is not enough of a difference between the ingredients in the Adult and the Adult Large breed.. they are very close. The most difference is the calories the adult has 355k cal/cup and the large breed has 374 k cal/cup .. Also some feed stores carry Chicken Soup as does some Wal-mart stores (they now have started carrying it).. Check on the chicken Soup site to see places near you that sell it or call/email them. I have done that in the past and found suppliers I didn't even know existed.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank-you everyone for the replies.
            I live in Canada and most online companies do not ship here, Chewy being one. The ones I can get it from have horrific shipping costs to Canada.
            I re-called the companies that said they could order in the Adult, not Large Breed, but now they have all told me they can't get that either. The Canadian warehouses
            are no longer buying it.
            I have been in contact with CSFTS main office and explained that all the retailers on their list for Calgary no longer sell it. I am waiting for a call back from another person on Monday. She is the one to talk to about Canadian retailers.
            There are lots of dog foods available to me, but most of them have 1 sometimes 2 meat sources in the top 4 ingredients, not something I am happy about feeding Daphne.
            As I am quickly running out of my last bag, I will have to trial and error it with her as I need to do a gradual switch over
            Thank-you.

Edit:

I found Performatrin Ultra with the following ingredients:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rice, Pearled Barley, Spray Dried Egg Product, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Tomato Pomace, Millet, Rye, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Peas, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Chicory Root Extract, Dried Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Dried Yeast, Pumpkin, Cranberries, Apples, Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Blackberries, Spinach, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Garlic, Ginger, Oregano, Dandelion, Parsley, Chamomile, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Carotene, Inositol, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate).

And the analysis:

Crude Protein(min.) 22.0% (Chicken Soup has 24% protein)
            Crude Fat(min.) 12.0%
            Crude Fiber(max.) 4.0%
            Moisture(max.) 10.0%
            Calcium(min.) 1.0%
            Phosphorus(min.) 0.8%
            Vitamin E(min.) 150 IU/kg
            Asorbic Acid (Vitamin C)*(min.) 25 mg/kg
            Omega-6 Fatty Acids*(min.) 2.20%
            Omega-3 Fatty Acids*(min.) 0.35%
            Total Microorganisms (L. Acidophilus,
            L. Casei, B. bifidum, E. faecium)* (min.) 110 million CFU/kgkcal/kg3520
            kcal/cup387

One of the stores I called told me that their parent company is recommending this as a close substitute for CSFTS.
            Does this look like a good substitute?
            Last edited by DaphneDoo; 08-17-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X