Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precise dog food is no more, so what to feed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precise dog food is no more, so what to feed?

Hey all,

I have two pups, an 8y/o and 9m/o. I had been feeding them Precise Naturals but it looks like the company is stopping production after the owner passed away. I am now looking for alternate food, and my head is spinning with the options.

I would like an ALS food, ideally not manufactured at Dimond or some other massive processor, while I have an eye on the budget I do want a high-quality food. I live in a remote area, so mail order is much easier although not mandatory.

Victor dog food seems to be a name that keeps coming up and some of their foods look pretty good.

Are there other foods which you recommend, or like? I know there are no right or wrong answers here as there are many good foods, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the choices right now.

Foods I have fed in the past and why I stopped using them:

Chicken Soup: quality control (frequent upset tummies)
    Canidea ALS: moved to Diamond for processing
    Fromm: several bags with rodents inside although the bags were sealed
    Precise Naturals: discontinued
    Last edited by MarkC; 06-08-2019, 07:19 AM.

The Chicken Soup is now it's own independent company. I have always had great luck with their foods... Victor formulas are mostly good (watch calcium/phosphorous levels for your puppy though), American Journey is usually good as is First Mate... You just need to check calcium/phosphorous levels on any food you feed until after your pup is 12 -15 months of age.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you, Kahlua. The calc/phos ratio of Precise was one of the closest to 1:1 that I found, think it was 1.2:1
      Last edited by MarkC; 06-11-2019, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Calcium is ideally 1.2 and phosphorous .08 .. calcium should never be over 1.5 and phosphorous never over 1.0 for growing Dane pups 12 months and under. Also watch for over feeding.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
        X