Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precise dog food is no more, so what to feed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precise dog food is no more, so what to feed?

Hey all,

I have two pups, an 8y/o and 9m/o. I had been feeding them Precise Naturals but it looks like the company is stopping production after the owner passed away. I am now looking for alternate food, and my head is spinning with the options.

I would like an ALS food, ideally not manufactured at Dimond or some other massive processor, while I have an eye on the budget I do want a high-quality food. I live in a remote area, so mail order is much easier although not mandatory.

Victor dog food seems to be a name that keeps coming up and some of their foods look pretty good.

Are there other foods which you recommend, or like? I know there are no right or wrong answers here as there are many good foods, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the choices right now.

Foods I have fed in the past and why I stopped using them:

Chicken Soup: quality control (frequent upset tummies)
    Canidea ALS: moved to Diamond for processing
    Fromm: several bags with rodents inside although the bags were sealed
    Precise Naturals: discontinued
    Last edited by MarkC; 06-08-2019, 07:19 AM.

The Chicken Soup is now it's own independent company. I have always had great luck with their foods... Victor formulas are mostly good (watch calcium/phosphorous levels for your puppy though), American Journey is usually good as is First Mate... You just need to check calcium/phosphorous levels on any food you feed until after your pup is 12 -15 months of age.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you, Kahlua. The calc/phos ratio of Precise was one of the closest to 1:1 that I found, think it was 1.2:1
      Last edited by MarkC; 06-11-2019, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Calcium is ideally 1.2 and phosphorous .08 .. calcium should never be over 1.5 and phosphorous never over 1.0 for growing Dane pups 12 months and under. Also watch for over feeding.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

I was just wondering the same thing! My Dane has been on Precise since he was a puppy and he is now 5 yrs old. I just found out about Precise closing shop and he is down to half a bag so I need to start the transition ASAP. I have narrowed down the foods based on reviews and what I can get online (I have twin baby boys, so can't always get to the store). I can't get Fromm from Chewy (my go to online store) so that is out. I am focusing on Lg breed formulas bc some include glucosamine, I am also looking at made in the USA and a mid range budget - not the cheapest, but can't afford $100 for 30lb of food. Here is my short list, but I am open to suggestions:

Chicken Soup for the Soul Large Breed Chicken, Turkey & Brown Rice - However, I recently read an article that suggest giant breeds get Taurine in their diet and this doesn't seem to include it
          Eagle Pack Large & Giant Breed Adult
          Wellness Large Breed Complete Health Adult Deboned Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe

Any positives/negatives of the above I should know? Any other suggestions I should consider?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkC View Post
            Hey all,

I have two pups, an 8y/o and 9m/o. I had been feeding them Precise Naturals but it looks like the company is stopping production after the owner passed away. I am now looking for alternate food, and my head is spinning with the options.

I would like an ALS food, ideally not manufactured at Dimond or some other massive processor, while I have an eye on the budget I do want a high-quality food. I live in a remote area, so mail order is much easier although not mandatory.

Victor dog food seems to be a name that keeps coming up and some of their foods look pretty good.

Are there other foods which you recommend, or like? I know there are no right or wrong answers here as there are many good foods, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the choices right now.

Foods I have fed in the past and why I stopped using them:

Chicken Soup: quality control (frequent upset tummies)
            Canidea ALS: moved to Diamond for processing
            Fromm: several bags with rodents inside although the bags were sealed
            Precise Naturals: discontinued
            If you can stomach it you may want to revisit the Fromms. I have been using it for about the last 5 years and never found so much as a fly.

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm on the same boat. I fed my 5 month old dane Precise but I have to admit although he liked it, it gave him loose stool. I thought he just had a sensitive stomach since it was pretty often. Now we switched to the Orijen large breed puppy food and it's going great! Hes going solid now and his coat looks great! I know Orijen is expensive but we are liking it so far.
              Another concern of mine is that Orijen was on the list of companies that the FDA is looking into (Fromm is also on that list).
              Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Comment

I would use Orijen with caution until all the "potential" issues are resolved.. So far not enough is known about what is actually causing he issues and if it is causative or correlative... too many unknowns. Fromm doesn't just have grain free formulas and the FDA listing of foods is far too vague as is their "potential" suspects.. Also it isn't just grain free foods that are suspect..
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                  I would use Orijen with caution until all the "potential" issues are resolved.. So far not enough is known about what is actually causing he issues and if it is causative or correlative... too many unknowns. Fromm doesn't just have grain free formulas and the FDA listing of foods is far too vague as is their "potential" suspects.. Also it isn't just grain free foods that are suspect..
                  I completely agree, it's all very vague. I'm not sure what to feed my pup, it's very overwhelming.
                  Not sure if I should keep Orijen as a backup and feed something else?
                  Any suggestions would help, thanks!

-Monica

Comment

My suggestion is to, at this point feed whatever you want. Your dog is 5 months old. Well before heart issues possibly may occur there should be more conclusive studies.

Comment

.I agree with martycurt… not enough known.
                      sigpic
                      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                      Associate Member GDCNE
                      Member GSPCA
                      Member NAVHDA

Comment

Great, thank everyone

Comment

Working...
                        X