Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How quickly (or slowly) should I change my dane pup's diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How quickly (or slowly) should I change my dane pup's diet?

I'll be bringing home a 12 week old dane in two weeks. I've been driving myself crazy trying to find out the perfect food to give her. I am interested in Raw, but need to do far more research to make that decision in just two weeks... How quickly can I change from one food to another?

The breeder currently has her on Puraina One SmartBlend
    CRUDE PROTEIN 26.0% min
    CRUDE FAT 16.0% min
    CRUDE FIBER 3.0% max
    MOISTURE 12.0% max
    LINOLEIC ACID 1.4% min
    CALCIUM 1.0% min
    PHOSPHORUS 0.8% min
    Based on my research, the fat and protein are too high for danes of any age. So, I'm looking to switch her. I bought a 15lb bag of Eagle Pack Large breed adult
    CRUDE PROTEIN 25.0% min
    CRUDE FAT 12.0% min
    CRUDE FIBER 4.0% max
    MOISTURE 10.0% max
    CALCIUM 1.7% min
    PHOSPHORUS 1.1% min
    VITAMIN E 120 IU/kg min
    OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS 2.75% min
    OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS 0.75% min
    LACTICACID MICROORGANISMS 70,000,000 CFU/lb
    GLUCOSAMINE 700 mg/kg min

My question is, how quickly can I change her off of this other food? I discussed this with her breeder and she is willing to send me home with a ziplock of her current food (for me to avoid having to buy a bag)... But is that enough to slowly wean her off?

I'm open to thoughts on best kibble as well.
    Thanks!

when you are switching from one kibble to another, you should take 7-10 days, at the very least so a ziplock bag isn't gonna be nearly enough. as for switching from kibble to raw, you can do that abruptly. feed the last kibble meal for supper and start with raw at breakfast, no kibble. i follow the prey model raw diet. it does looks daunting at first but once you get started, it's very simple. you just need to remember to keep it balanced. each dog is different. some people feed a couple of boneless meals during a week but i have always found that my dogs do best with bones in every meal.

i have 2 dane girls that never did take to raw and they are fed bil-jac select, adult formula. this is what eden was eating when i got her at 3 years old from her breeder so i switched my other kibble fed girl to it and they both do great. kaluhadanes will be along to evaluate your kibble choices. she is very versed in that!

http://preymodelraw.com/page/article...l-raw-diet-r19
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

You do not need to be concerned about protein ..it is the cal/phos you need to be concerned about. Purina One is a low quality food.. it is way to high in plant and to low in meats... You do however need to keep your pup on the food the breeder had her on for at least the first 3-4 weeks and then switch slowly as Charlene said. You will need to buy a bag of food before the switch.It is also perfectly fine ot feed a good puppy food.. Many adult foods are now too high in cal/phos to be safely fed to a growing Dane pup.
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you! I will buy a bag then.

Comment

You may be going from the frying pan into the fire. The Eagle food has too much calcium and phosphorus. Try to stay under 1.5 cal. & under 1 phos.Protein you neednít concern yourself with. If youíre going to switch from the Purina wait for 1 month after getting your new pup and then slowly introduce the new food in 10% increments while slowly decreasing the Purina in 10% increments, which will be a 10 day transition.

Comment

Originally posted by martycurt View Post
            You may be going from the frying pan into the fire. The Eagle food has too much calcium and phosphorus. Try to stay under 1.5 cal. & under 1 phos.Protein you neednít concern yourself with. If youíre going to switch from the Purina wait for 1 month after getting your new pup and then slowly introduce the new food in 10% increments while slowly decreasing the Purina in 10% increments, which will be a 10 day transition.
            BTW if for some reason youíre committed to the Eagle brand maybe try the lge & giant breed puppy food. The cal & phos levels are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by martycurt View Post

BTW if for some reason youíre committed to the Eagle brand maybe try the lge & giant breed puppy food. The cal & phos levels are correct.
              Iím not committed, actually! After further research, Iíve returned the bag you Chewy! Iím now leaning towards Blu Buffalo life protection with cal .9% and phos .7%. Do you have any personal recommendations? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X