Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to switch my 15 month old Dane to adult food...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to switch my 15 month old Dane to adult food...

I am currently feeding her Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold and want to switch her to adult food. Fromm only has 2 kinds - Large Breed Adult Gold and Large Breed Heartland Gold (grain free).
    I would like to try her on a really good kibble that has a range of flavors, so she doesn't bore from the same kibble. Currently, I feed her kibble mixed with homemade chicken soup. (I boil a chicken, remove all bones, add veggies (no onions or garlic) and pour about a cup over her kibble.) When I don't have chicken soup, I cook a chicken and remove all bones and chop up some to add to her kibble. Other days, I chop up fresh chicken livers or hearts and add that to the kibble with 2 tablespoons of canned food mixed with water to make a gravy. She also gets chicken feet for a glucosamine snack, bully sticks and fresh fruit with a dollop of yogurt on occasion and beef liver treats as well. Any suggestions as to what brand of kibble I should switch to?

Fromms has more than 2 kinds of adult food. Check out their website. I currently feed my Dane either the Frommís Pork and Peas or the Beef Frittata.

Comment

Thank-you for the reply. I saw those types but they are not for large breed so I didn't think I should feed them to her.
      Also, I was told to make sure the first 3 ingredients were meat sources when I originally switched her to Fromm. Does that
      only apply to puppies?
      Last edited by DaphneDoo; 04-13-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

It is advisable to have a food that has a named meat/meat meal source as the first 2-4 ingredients and that is for puppies and adults. The meat sources should out weigh the plant sources. The food also does not need to be large/giant breed. It just needs to be a good quality food
        Last edited by kahluadanes; 04-14-2019, 03:19 PM.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank-you. So "meal" does qualify as a proper meat source?
          Last edited by DaphneDoo; 06-03-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I live in Canada and have found a few types that have multiple meat sources in the top 4 ingredients. Thank-you!
            Last edited by DaphneDoo; 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Yes actually meat meal is more protein dense then meat.. it is the meat with moisture removed so by weight is actually more meat. You do not need to feed a large breed food... a good quality food with more meat/meat meal then plant ingredient is perfectly fine for an adult Dane.
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA
              Member Central Maine Kennel Club
              High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
              X