What do/did you feed your Dane pup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do/did you feed your Dane pup?

We recently adopted our sweet girl and couldn’t be more in love. I’’ve been driving myself crazy trying to research and choose a great food for her. She is currently eating Nature’s Balance L.I.D. Lamb Meal and Brown Rice Formula. The internet is filled with conflicting information (go figure). Grain vs. no grain, proper puppy protein/fat levels, legumes vs. no legumes, etc...I am hoping to find some reliable advice here based on your personal experiences so we can start her out right and keep her healthy and happy. I've got the Ca/Phos levels/ratio figured out but that’s about it.
    I have (hopefully) attached a pic of the ingredient list and analysis on the food she is currently eating. Thanks for your help!!

Edit: From my end, it looks as though you’d have to be a flea to see the attached picture I apologize.

Last edited by DaneFreyja; 12-29-2018, 04:56 AM.

Calcium not over 1.5, phosphorous not over 1.0 however lower is far better.. Calcium 1.2, phosphorous .08 would be best..This applies to puppies 12 months and younger no issues as adults. Get off the lamb diet... lamb diets can cause some serious issues especially in puppies and was not meant to feed long term even to adults unless there was a medical reason to do so. Get on a good quality food with a high meat content and low plant content.. There should be a named meat/meat meal source as the first 2-4 ingredients... Stay away from corn, wheat, soy and glutens.. watch out for split plant ingredients and multiple plant ingredients in the top 5-6 ingredients.Make sure a named fat source is no closer than 4th in the ingredient list.... Do not over feed.. Keep your pup a nice healthy lean not chunky... There are a lot of good foods way too many to list but some good ones: Some formulas of Fromm, Some formulas of Canidae, some formulas of American Journey, Chicken Soup Large Breed Puppy, some formulas of Victor..... It is ok to feed a puppy food as long as the cal/phos levels are in the correct safe zone.. be aware that many adult foods no longer are in the safe level including some that use to be.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

When we first got our Dane I put him on Annamaet Encore. Its a good quality food with the correct cal/phos levels but his stools were never really firm. I have since switched over to Zignature with great results.

Comment

We just got our first Dane pup in November and I too drove myself insane researching what food to go with since there were so many conflicting opinions. We ended up going with Fromm Large Breed Puppy which came highly recommended by our breeder who had been feeding raw up until about a week before we took him home. Over the last 6 weeks or so, we started to notice that his poops were pretty consistently soft/runny so we tried adding pumpkin, then rice, then a probiotic without any of them helping. We finally made the decision to switch him to Fromm Heartland Gold large breed puppy, which is a red meat base vs chicken and within a few days, his poops were much more formed and he has actually been going fewer times a day. It's more expensive, but we know his tummy feels better so it's worth it.

At the end of the day, you can only do so much research and sometimes just have to go with your gut and see how your pup does for awhile. Just make sure that if you do switch foods, you do so gradually so you don't upset her tummy.

Comment

Continual switching, switching too quickly, etc can lead to more issues, keep the system in turmoil.. Also when you add a probiotic you need to do it daily and for more than a few days...adding too many things all at once a long with a food switch is not a good idea.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
          X