Healthy Great Dane Losing Weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Great Dane Losing Weight

I’ve had my Dane since he was a puppy. He’s about 2 years old and I switched him to nutro ultra adult because I truly feel like it’s a better food. However, he has lost a ton of weight. He looks neglected. He doesn’t exhibit any other symptoms so I have no reason to think he’s sick. He’s not lethargic or vomiting and has no bowel issues.

My thought is, the adult food has significantly lower protein content. He’s gets 6 cups of food a day and always has (passed year) without issue. Now I am wondering if I should feed him more or switch to a food with more protein. Would it be frowned upon to keep him on the puppy food longer? He’s almost 2.5 now.
    Last edited by hakrueg88; 11-28-2018, 08:39 PM. Reason: I originally posted this as a reply and later copied it into its own thread so some parts didn’t make sense.

I would not put a dog his age on a puppy food but I would get him on to a better quality food..one with a higher meat content and a lower plant content. I would also get a fecal test done.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

how long ago was the switch and how fast did he lose all this weight? i'd go a step further and if he hasn't had any recent blood work done, i'd do a complete panel including thyroid. a healthy dog doesn't lose enough weight to look "neglected".
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Remember your dog should be a nice healthy well muscled lean and not chunky.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

i know the standard for a Great Dane is the last two ribs but I feel like you see atleast 3, if not 4, and some of his back bones. I switched about a month ago and it seems like he has been losing weight since then. I just hadn’t noticed until I could see his bones.

Its hard because he is otherwise healthy. A thyroid check is a good idea.

I switched him to Nutro Ultra thinking it was a good quality food. He was just scratching a lot with taste of the wild. Well, the scratching is subsided but now he looks significantly skinnier. I looked and the overall calorie content is the same but it’s only 21% protein.

Comment

I’m trying to upload photos but it says I keep exceeding the limit. I’m not really sure how to fix that. I just wanted validation bc my boyfriend thinks I’m being paranoid.

Comment

LOL, pictures here have been an issue for a very long time. email me a picture of your boy and i'll see if i can help! nina@irtc.net
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by hakrueg88 View Post
                Thanks for the responses!

i know the standard for a Great Dane is the last two ribs but I feel like you see atleast 3, if not 4, and some of his back bones. I switched about a month ago and it seems like he has been losing weight since then. I just hadn’t noticed until I could see his bones.

Its hard because he is otherwise healthy. A thyroid check is a good idea.

I switched him to Nutro Ultra thinking it was a good quality food. He was just scratching a lot with taste of the wild. Well, the scratching is subsided but now he looks significantly skinnier. I looked and the overall calorie content is the same but it’s only 21% protein.
                Why don’t you up the amount of food.

Comment

Working...
                X