Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Month Old Pup with Easty/Westy Legs Constantly Hungry

Hi,

My pup is 7 months old and weighs a little over 80 pounds.

I am in the process of doing an extremely slow switch over from Eagle Pack for Large Breed to Fromm Gold for Large Breed. I tried to speed it up but she got diarrhea for 3 days so I slowed it down. That being said, she drank from the communal water bowl at the dog park and the next day the diarrhea started so I am not 100% certain that it was the food. I always carry her water bottle and bowl but she ran ahead and helped herself to happiness!

Food:
    I was feeding 4.5 to 5 cups per day divided between two feedings, but since she is ravenous, I have increased to 6 cups a day divided into am and pm feedings. She currently gets 1 1/3 cups of Fromm mixed with 1 2/3 cups of Eagle Pack at each feeding. Every 3 days, I am increasing the Fromm and decreasing the Eagle Pack by 1/3 cup.
    For snacks, she gets a chicken foot twice a day for glucosamine, a small portion of banana with her 1/2 tablet of Vitamin C twice a day and usually some berries and apple with a tablespoon of yogurt.

Exercise:
    We go for 20 minute walks in the morning and evening and we play ball for about 15 minutes after she gets home from her evening walk.
    Twice a week we go to the dog park for about 30 minutes and on those days, we just play ball in the evening.

She had and still has a bit of easty/westy legs. It was because of that that I had switched her to Eagle Pack, started with 250mg Vitamin C twice a day and 1/4 tsp. MSM twice a day. Her legs are looking much better but she had become soooo lean and sooo many poops!!! The Fromm I am switching her to is 389 calories per cup with the first 3 ingredients being meat sources. She is still lean but looking better. I don't want to give her anymore kibble in case her easty/westy legs come back, but as I previously stated, she is ravenous! As I start to give her more Fromm, I may have to cut back on the amount of kibble she gets. Whenever I feed her, whether it is the kibble or snacks, she gobbles it down and looks for more.

Any suggestions?

Do NOT let a dog acting hungry dictate amount fed.. Go by body condition.. A young Dane should be lean. It should be a nice healthy well muscled lean.. the last 2-3 ribs should be just visible or easily felt without feeling through a layer of fat. The hips & spine should NOT show There should be a nice well defined waist.. Fromm is a much better quality food than Eagle pack so you will likely need to feed less of it once you get her on it completely.... Over feeding can cause diarrhea. Switching food should be made over a 10 -14 days period. Be aware that once you are on the Fromm completely it can take 6-8 weeks or a bit longer to adjust to the new food. If you feel you want to feed her more add green beans to her food don't increase the kibble.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank-you for the reply.
      I had planned her switch to Fromm over a month, adding 1/3 cup every 4th day. Maybe I should speed that up?
      I will get some green beans to add to her food. Do you steam them or feed raw?
      She is lean with a defined waist. I can see/feel her ribs but her spine and hips also show.
      I am taking her to the vet today to see if she may need to be dewormed again.
      She is definitely gaining weight and growing taller, but still thin enough that I am concerned.

Comment

Since she goes to dog parks and other areas it is wise to keep up with the deworming..glad to know you have been. Also a Dane pup will go through phases of looking thin and lanky as they go through growth phases. Yes steam the green beans before feeding them.. You can also add some plain regular or Greek yogurt to one of her meals.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

Should I speed up the transfer from the Eagle Pack to the Fromm? At the rate I am going, it will take about a month.

Comment

fine if it takes longer..slower the better especially if a dog is a bit sensitive to change.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
            X