Fromm or taste of the wild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fromm or taste of the wild

Hello all. I have a 16 month old male Dane named zeke. I currently have him on Fromm large breed puppy. He is currently weighing 121 lbs. I feel like his weight is a little low. I'm starting the switch him over to adult food and trying to figure out about the differences and which food is better. His poop has always been mostly firm until the last bit. We tried switching him to 4 health grain free and he threw up a couple times and had uncontrollable poop one time so we stopped that food. I want to know what would be the better choice in food for him?
    zeke's dad

Do not focus on weight..weight is only a number.. focus on body condition. He should be lean with a well defined waist and good muscle tone. He should have normal energy and be happy.. Since you have him on Fromm and he is doing well I would leave him on it... (I would not have tried changing him to 4health since that is a lower quality food then Fromm).
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

He is very happy and playful. He looks good,no bones showing. Is any of the Fromm food ok for him or do I have to stick with large breed?
      zeke's dad

Comment

There have been a whole lot of complaints and sick dogs that I've seen making the rounds on social media on TOTW, though no official recall yet... I wouldn't switch to it right now though. Fromm is a great food, if he's doing well on it I wouldn't change it.
        sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
        Born July 7 2014
        Peach & Emily!

Comment

No you don't have to have him on lg. breed. I've had mine on Fromm 4 Star for about the last 2.5 years. He's 4. I switch between the Beef Frittata & the Pork & Peas.

Comment

BTW when you switched to 4 Health did you do so gradually over about 2 weeks? You should have.

Comment

Originally posted by martycurt View Post
              BTW when you switched to 4 Health did you do so gradually over about 2 weeks? You should have.
              I was only giving him half a cup 2 times a day and had been doing that for almost a week,I was gonna increase it 1/2 cup a week until I switched him. So if I stay with Fromm and switch to adult do I have to gradually introduce it to him as if I'm switching brands?
              zeke's dad

Comment

No you don't need to do a gradual switch when staying within the same brand..
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by ultrascotty View Post

I was only giving him half a cup 2 times a day and had been doing that for almost a week,I was gonna increase it 1/2 cup a week until I switched him. So if I stay with Fromm and switch to adult do I have to gradually introduce it to him as if I'm switching brands?
                  I'd still switch gradually, but not nearly as gradually. Maybe do it over 4 days, introducing the new at 25% intervals and decreasing the old at 25% intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrascotty View Post
                    Hello all. I have a 16 month old male Dane named zeke. I currently have him on Fromm large breed puppy. He is currently weighing 121 lbs. I feel like his weight is a little low. I'm starting the switch him over to adult food and trying to figure out about the differences and which food is better. His poop has always been mostly firm until the last bit. We tried switching him to 4 health grain free and he threw up a couple times and had uncontrollable poop one time so we stopped that food. I want to know what would be the better choice in food for him?

happy to know I'm not the only one feeding Fromm Large breed puppy. My guy is 4 months old and does well on it, when he's ready for me to switch to Adult I plan on going to Fromm gold adult food.

Comment

Working...
                    X