Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We get our Dane on Wed, question about Fromm and Treats

image_37151.jpg

Hi All, we are new Great Dane parent's and could use some advice before we get our boy Duke in two days. After much research on here and online, I have decided to feed Duke Fromm dog food when we begin to ween him off the food he is currently on. Looking on Chewy.com I cannot figure out which bag to get, if someone could link me or give me the right bag with the right ingredient amount I would be so grateful! Also, I read to wait a few weeks before I begin to mix in small amounts of his new food in with the current. Is there an appropriate age? Duke is 8 weeks today.

Treats. Knowing how important food is for their growth and digestive system, what treats can I give him? Is there a rule of thumb on this as well?

We are SO excited. My husband and I have always wanted a Dane but I am a tad bit nervous. I feel like I am preparing to be a first time parent all over again. lol

Tried uploading a picture, but cannot seem to make it bigger.
    Last edited by Emmaf0215; 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM.

You're going to love being a Dane parent. Get ready for some super FAST growing. We weigh our Eliza weekly and every week we are amazed. She's almost 4 months old now and weighs in at 42lbs. She was 11lbs when we got her at 8 weeks. I think Fromm only has one Large Breed Puppy food.

Comment

Actually there are now 2 Fromm's Gold Large Breed Puppy formulas. The Lg Breed Gold Puppy is primarily fowl based and contains grain. The Lg Breed Heartland GF Gold is red meat based. I think it's relatively new but personally if I get another Danes, I'd try that.
      As to when to transition I'd wait about a month so your Puppy can get settled into the new environment and then slowly transition over about 2 weeks.
      As for treats a few granules of his food are a good treat. Also I used and still use Stewart's Beef Freez Dried Liver. Get the large tub, as it lasts years. Don't get carried away though as it's quite rich

Comment

BTW the Stewart's Liver is now on sale at Chewy.com.

Comment

Originally posted by martycurt View Post
          Actually there are now 2 Fromm's Gold Large Breed Puppy formulas. The Lg Breed Gold Puppy is primarily fowl based and contains grain. The Lg Breed Heartland GF Gold is red meat based. I think it's relatively new but personally if I get another Danes, I'd try that.
          As to when to transition I'd wait about a month so your Puppy can get settled into the new environment and then slowly transition over about 2 weeks.
          As for treats a few granules of his food are a good treat. Also I used and still use Stewart's Beef Freez Dried Liver. Get the large tub, as it lasts years. Don't get carried away though as it's quite rich
          Perfect thank you, I figured it was somewhere around there. I purchased a 35b bag of food that the breeder is giving so I will slowly start him on the new food when he is 60% done with that bag. So much to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgreen99 View Post
            You're going to love being a Dane parent. Get ready for some super FAST growing. We weigh our Eliza weekly and every week we are amazed. She's almost 4 months old now and weighs in at 42lbs. She was 11lbs when we got her at 8 weeks. I think Fromm only has one Large Breed Puppy food.
            I cannot wait! If all goes well, as it should, we will get our second in a year or two! Where were you weighing yours on a weekly basis, did you take him to a pet store? As of now, Duke is gaining 5lbs a week, we are expecting big boy.

What kind of treats, especially for training can we give Danes?

Comment

Working...
            X