10 week old puppy help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 week old puppy help

Nova turned 10 weeks Tuesday. She weighs 23 pounds. I have her on victor grain free active dog and puppy for all life stages i currently feed her half a cup 4 times a day. Is 2 cups enough. She is gaining well at 9 weeks she was 16lbs. Im slowing starting to increase her up to 3 cups daily.

Check the calcium/phosphorous levels on the food.. calcium not over 1.5, phosphorous not over 1.0 Lower is best on both... As far as amount to feed, watch body condition... she should be lean with last 2-3 ribs visible... increase buy 1/4 as needed for growth.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

This is from the website
      Attached Files

Comment

Calcium is 1.2
        Phosphorus is 1.1
        And it also says cal/phos 1.1 ratio 1

Comment

Looks good..
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA

Comment

Thanks i just noticed when we increase it causes upset stomach. She was fed victor before we got her but not the grain free

Comment

If it causes upset then it is being increased too much too quickly.
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA

Comment

Okay. Its just seems as if she gets more than 1/2 a cup at a time it happens. Should i just add in more feedings and keep it 1/2 at a time

Comment

If she was getting Victor and you switched to Victor GF, essentially you switched food without transitioning. If a half a cup causes upset stomach then increase in quarter cup increments. 4 times a day is more than enough feedings, she only needs 3 at this age.

Comment

1/2 a cup 4 times a day is fine she has no issues but if we add anymore over that is where it starts. Thank you. She is eating 2 cups a day with no problem

Comment

Why don't you add 1/4 cp to her last meal of the day and see what happens. Btw what do you mean by upset stomach? Vomiting, constipation, diarrhea?

Comment

i will try that its been 2 weeks on the food now she now far good solid poop on it. Before it was mushy and when we tried to add more it made her have diarrhea.

Comment

Great. Now that her stools are stable she's probably adjusted to the new food. In the future when you switch foods (even in the same brand) do it incrementally over about 2 weeks. Also you mentioned you are trying to get her to 3 cups a day. It's best not to concern yourself with the # of cups, but on body condition. That's really all that counts.

Comment

I understand unfortunately they told me what brand and the color of the bag but not the exact one. I should have double checked but in the future i will definitely switch slowly. But she is doing good on her 2 cups right now body condition is where it should be so we will stay for now

Comment

Working...
                            X