Opinions on Victor Brand Dog Food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Victor Brand Dog Food

Any opinions on Victor brand dog food and any members have first hand experience feeding it?

We have a 4 month old pup and I have been interested in Victor in quite a while but don't hear much about it on this forum. I was looking at these two formulas:

Victor High Energy: 24% Protein, 20% fat, (Beef Meal, Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Whole Grain Millet, Pork Meal)
    Victor Professional: 26% Protein, 18% fat (Beef Meal, Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Whole Grain Millet, Pork Meal)

I feed the hi pro plus, and have for awhile. I love it- price is great, sold locally, dogs seem to like it, and they both do very well on it. That being said, you'll need to contact Victor (email is best, and they usually respond quickly) to find out the calcium and phosphorus info on any varieties you are considering, as they no longer put it on the bag or their website.
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
      Any opinions on Victor brand dog food and any members have first hand experience feeding it?

We have a 4 month old pup and I have been interested in Victor in quite a while but don't hear much about it on this forum. I was looking at these two formulas:

Victor High Energy: 24% Protein, 20% fat, (Beef Meal, Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Whole Grain Millet, Pork Meal)
      Victor Professional: 26% Protein, 18% fat (Beef Meal, Grain Sorghum, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Whole Grain Millet, Pork Meal)
      I like Victor (although I do not like that grain sorghum is the second ingredient), but all Victor formulas aren't equal.... some are far better than others. If feeding a puppy you need to be very careful and find out calcium/phosphorous levels...
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I contacted Victor and they responded next morning, just didn't see it was in my junk mail folder. Here are the calcium and phosphourus levels in the high energy and professional formulas.

​​​​​​
        FORMULA CALCIUM PHOS
        Professional 1.58% 1.10%
        High Energy 1.46% 1.13%

I went ahead and purchased a 40lb bag of the High Energy for $37.99 pretax. So far the gradual transition from Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy has been good.

Comment

Are those minimum levels?
          sigpic
          Fergus
          SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
          Eisen Shark
          C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Victor was great for 2 of our 3, Particularly the salmon -- only fed grain free. Its been too long since a puppy for me to remember the calc phos levels that are acceptable..we fed to totw as pups.
            sigpic
            Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
            Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
            In Memory of our beloved Jake
            forever in our hearts

Comment

Victor has several formulas like everyone has said. With the one you chose those levels are more than likely the min levels of cal/phos. Be careful and watch your puppy for any signs of HOD/Pano and knuckling.

Comment

Working...
              X